Infection? Or Normal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_pepper

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just had a look at my amber ale, and noticed a thick looking bubbly stuff on top... please take a look at the photos and let me know if you think its a possible infection or if it looks normal?

I'm worried because it wasn't there a few days ago, and i tasted a few days ago and it tasted great....however i've just been away for a few days and had to put the wine fridge on a timer, and not 100% sure if i kept it at the right temps...however i don't think it went above 22degC at the worst.

Up until a few days ago, it had been kept at a pretty steady 18degC for about 10 days, and as i said, tasted great...however had a taste just now, and its not BAD, but its definitely not AS good as it was a few days ago.

I was just about to add vanilla to this brew, leave it for a few days then cold condition.

Anyway have a look at the pics and let me know what you think

This is only my 2nd brew, so i could be worried for nothing

Cheers
Dr Pepper

photo.JPG

photo2.JPG

Hey guys,

Just had a look at my amber ale, and noticed a thick looking bubbly stuff on top... please take a look at the photos and let me know if you think its a possible infection or if it looks normal?

I'm worried because it wasn't there a few days ago, and i tasted a few days ago and it tasted great....however i've just been away for a few days and had to put the wine fridge on a timer, and not 100% sure if i kept it at the right temps...however i don't think it went above 22degC at the worst.

Up until a few days ago, it had been kept at a pretty steady 18degC for about 10 days, and as i said, tasted great...however had a taste just now, and its not BAD, but its definitely not AS good as it was a few days ago.

I was just about to add vanilla to this brew, leave it for a few days then cold condition.

Anyway have a look at the pics and let me know what you think

This is only my 2nd brew, so i could be worried for nothing

Cheers
Dr Pepper

Looks normal mate, did you use US05 as your yeast?

Mine quite often looks like it has a slimey layer on top. :beerbang:

Looks normal mate, did you use US05 as your yeast?

Mine quite often looks like it has a slimey layer on top. :beerbang:

Yep indeed used US05

I just realized i possibly just didn't have such a close up look a few days ago, so when i saw it today i got freaked out, but it could be normal... just seems weird that it coincides with the taste not being so great today compared to a few days ago...but could be part of the natural process i guess

thanks gibbo1

great to see beer fermenting away !!! Noice one !!!

case closed THANKS DUDES

recipe

MORGAN'S ROYAL OAK AMBER ALE 1.7KG
MORGAN'S CARAMALT 1.5KG
US-05
150G CRYSTAL GRAIN (steeped 15 mins)
1 tablespoon of vanilla bean paste (after main ferment)

Latest posts

Back