Infection In My Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll put my money on the tap.

Second brew I did infection.

Used a dowl to knock the inside of the tap apart & presto full of shite.

Hope you get it sorted do a search on cleaning & sanitation good luck.

the rudest one

Another thing to look out for in relation to the tap:

After getting your samples, have you cleaned out the tap? The brew could be all good but then it can get infected from bacteria that has grown in the residue left. A touch of vodka on a bit of paper towel and a quick wipe before and after sampling stops this from being a problem.

Another thing to look out for in relation to the tap:

After getting your samples, have you cleaned out the tap? The brew could be all good but then it can get infected from bacteria that has grown in the residue left. A touch of vodka on a bit of paper towel and a quick wipe before and after sampling stops this from being a problem.

vodka hey, one for me one for my tap, one for me one for my tap, sorry had to do it

but good idea i like it gets ride of sore throats.

Thanks all for your reply's. I will admit I have never pulled apart the tap, let alone clean it after getting a sample. This could be the problem that I have. Now that I know that the tap can be taken apart, I will be making sure I clean it right.

As for the kit yeast, on the packet it specifies to add at 25 or below. I searched the net about the yeast, and it looks like it's an ale yeast.

I will have to look into cooling the fermenter down further. If 18-20 is still to hot, what temp should it be?

Thanks

Thanks all for your reply's. I will admit I have never pulled apart the tap, let alone clean it after getting a sample. This could be the problem that I have. Now that I know that the tap can be taken apart, I will be making sure I clean it right.

As for the kit yeast, on the packet it specifies to add at 25 or below. I searched the net about the yeast, and it looks like it's an ale yeast.

I will have to look into cooling the fermenter down further. If 18-20 is still to hot, what temp should it be?

Thanks
If it's an ale yeast, then 18-20 is fine. I still, howevever, think you have infection issues, irrespective of temperature, and so repeat my earlier questions that have yet to be answered:

What is your cleaning and sanitation regime? What do you use, what concentrations, and what contact time?

Also, do you prepare your brews inside, or outside? Same question for bottling, inside or out? If outside, was it windy, do you have fruit trees or flowering plants near by?

And just to emphasise the importance of one particular issue that has not been addressed:

What is your cleaning and sanitation regime? What do you use, what concentrations, and what contact time?

I don't really have a set routine yet. I wash out everything with hot water and dish washing liquid. I did bleach the fermenter out once. I always finish with a no rinse sanitizer just before I use it. I make sure it touches every surface and run it through the tap. I don't let it sit, just swish it around and tip it out. I sanitize all equipment too. I was using the little packet sanitisers but recently changed to Morgan's Sanitize. I follow the bottle instruction of 30mls to 1lt of water. I prepare and bottle inside.

Back