Infection after using a bottle rinser?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendan_W

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done about 8 brews now without any major problems and I wanted to start streamlining things. Like everyone else I was finding bottling a pain and wanted to speed up the process so I bought a bottle rinser. I should have read the fine print as the one I got is for use with smaller bottles but I use the 740ml PET. After a search of a few forums I found that the problem could be resolved by tilting the bottle to catch the lip when pressing down on the rinser.

Previously, I soaked the washed clean bottles in a tub of sanitiser but this time I used the sanitiser in the bottle rinser. I used the bottle rinser tilting the bottle when pressing down which seemed to work pretty well. Just to make sure I gave each bottle 5-6 sprays and turned the bottle so I didn't miss any spots. Anyway, every bottle I've tried so far has a weird off flavour. The beer has a musty, mouldy smell and taste. Since the bottle rinser was the only change from my previous brews I'm guessing this is the problem and just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar problem?

Cheers
Brendan

You probably need to provide more info. A mouldy/musty flavour can be caused by a few things. Mould in your ingredients could hang around even after you brew.

https://beerandbrewing.com/VJMsmScAACgAmMj8/article/off-flavor-of-the-week-musty

Extract or AG?
Are you cleaning the bottles first before you sanitse?
What sanitiser and cleaner are you using?
Does the sanitiser dry out before you fill em?
What are you doing with the bottles after you put sanitiser in them?

Could be nothing to do with bottling.

It's quite strange how people go through so much drama with bottling cleaning and sanitation and for me all I do is rinse under warm water...
When had done around 5 brews I started running a little keg cleaner and boiling water to rinse afterwards to clean and sanitize them. Never had an issue apart from the last bottle witch had way to much yeast and hop debris in the bottle and was over carbed and gushed.
Keggin and cleaning 1 vessel was the only appealing thing to home brewing that made me take it up!

Were your bottles clean before you sanitised? Did you taste your beer before bottling? And how long since you bottled? Fermented beer is a pretty hostile environment for bacteria to grow in, most of the sugar has been consumed and the resulting alcohol is an inhibitor of growth. For all of your bottles to be tasting funky I'd say the funk was there before or something wasn't cleaned properly before bottling, secondary fv, tap, bottling wand.

Brendan_W said:
Hi all,

I've done about 8 brews now without any major problems and I wanted to start streamlining things. Like everyone else I was finding bottling a pain and wanted to speed up the process so I bought a bottle rinser. I should have read the fine print as the one I got is for use with smaller bottles but I use the 740ml PET. After a search of a few forums I found that the problem could be resolved by tilting the bottle to catch the lip when pressing down on the rinser.

Cheers
Brendan
Hi Brendan,

The washer you are talking about is probably the same as mine. I put a large wagers on top of the lip, then the collar of the bottle rides against the washer and you use it as normal.

I hear lots of people complaining about bottling. Just tell yourself it is part of the fun of brewing rather than something that is a problem. A change in your thinking will work wonders.

I am the same as Digga. I rinse the bottles immediately when I pour a beer. Put them on a bottle tree until completely dry, and then store them upside down until next time. Bacteria doesn't like dry conditions for extended periods, but when you then rinse them with starsan you are right to go. I don't think it can be easier than that.

Put some really cool music on, sing badly, bottle beer. One of life's pleasures. See you, Anthony

Bottling is a pain basically because you cant take short cuts. My bottle washer is just me. Rinced well after emptying.
Each bottle soaked for 10min or more in Sodium Percarbonate. Scrubed well inside with brush, rinced well and drained on a bottle tree. Then just prior to bottling I stand them all up and funnel the sanitizer in each bottle, hold the cap on and shake well. Drain on bottle tree. I also wash and spray sanitize the bottle tree.

Noted some people (I was one) seem to think you don't need to scrub the inside well. You do!
Unless you have a very good bottle washer that blasts the inside very well. Some spots can be missed.
Some residue's cling on well inside a bottle and are basically invisible.
$0.02

AJS2154 said:
Sing badly, bottle beer. One of life's pleasures. See you, Anthony
"99 bottles of beer to wash. 99 bottles of beer.
If one of those bottles of beer is drained there be 98 bottles of beer to wash". :p

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delayed reply (no internet access over the long weekend).

I'll try and answer some of the questions above but considering all the bottles so far have had the same issue I suspect that the problem may have been before bottling.

I'm doing a partial mash. I rinse and clean out all my bottles straight after use and store them with a lid on. The night before bottling I soak the bottles in sodium percarbonate leaving them overnight. I then rinse them out and sanitise with starsan and bottle before the foam has dried. I know the soaking of clean bottles overnight is probably overkill but it seemed to have worked so far.

I'm thinking for my next batch I might experiment and soak half the bottles in sanitiser and use the bottle riser for the rest. This way I can see if there is a difference between the 2 methods.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers
Brendan

Latest posts

Back