Indian Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSC

Reaction score
Hey I know there is a lot of action on Chinese Hops and bulk buys but why don't we arrange India to grow hops and then they would just call us with great deals!!!!!

"dear sir, congratulations you have one 1kg of cascade hops".......no worreis about organsing bulk buys there...

I get heaps of these calls......they just need to be focused onto product we really ******* want!!!!!

:lol: :chug: No point to this post, just came to me while washing up and drinking my raspberry belgium ale..

Hey I know there is a lot of action on Chinese Hops and bulk buys but why don't we arrange India to grow hops

Ummm guys

While I am organising the Great Chinese Bulk BUy 2009 Second Chance (look in Bulk Buy Section, you may have to subscribe to the forum), I hate to tell you India already grows quite a bit of hops. Yes I am on the ball and they grow a significant amount of hops.

With my contacts we can then landed in Aus for under $8.00 a kilo. The quality is "Questionable" thou, and I am doing tests to see how good they really are

Craftbrewer
Graham L Sanders
Skype "Craftbrewer"
http://radio.craftbrewer.org

From a USA germ plasm organisation's report:

Attempts have been made to grow hops in latitudes below 35O, although, for the most part, these attempts have failed because of the hops requirements for a dormancy period and long days for adequate flowering. India first imported hop cultivation into Kashmir in the 1880s, although this early attempt was unsuccessful. Neve (1991) reported that recently India has grown most of its own hops, although in 1998 the FAO did not list India among the 30 hop producing countries. Cape Providence, South Africa has successful commercial hop-yards; the FAO reported it produced 270 metric tons in 1998. Both Kashmir and Cape Providence are located at 34O latitude. Many other countries in lower latitudes, including Mexico, Kenya and Burma, to name only a few, have attempted to grow hops, generally without success. In some cases, these counties have experimented with extending day-length with artificial lightning, but this has usually proven too costly.

So by the looks of it they can grow hops in India but are right on the borderline and who knows what the actual quality is like. China on the other hand lies much further North and is in the ideal hop growing latitudes.

So by the looks of it they can grow hops in India but are right on the borderline and who knows what the actual quality is like. China on the other hand lies much further North and is in the ideal hop growing latitudes.

OH mate, they can and DO GROW HOPS. If you listen to my radio show http://radio.craftbrewer.org/shows/November1-09.mp3 , there is an actually story from India by the BBC about how much they grow.

They get away with it by growing it at very high allitudes, thus they mimic the daylengths in traditional growing areas.

Craftbrewer
Graham L Sanders
Skype "Craftbrewer"
http://radio.craftbrewer.org

My OP was a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........didn't mean to stir up another dreaded foreign hop deabte :blink:

But for my two cents I will be sticking to quality hops produced in regions with a longer history of hop growing.

Cost is not and never will be an issue with the quantities I buy, might be different if I was a large micro. If I want cost cutting I will buy commercial beer but for my beer I won't compromise.

Back