Increasing Yeast Starter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiderpig

Reaction score
Hi guys,

If I need to increase the yeast starter for my next brew and am only using dried yeasts, do I do this by doubling the amount of yeast I use? I am going to lager my next brew and will be using SAFLAGER w34 yeast, so should i purchase 2 satchets to accomplish this? Sorry guys, very new to this stuff, Hope to give something back to the AHB community at some stage.

Troy

If I need to increase the yeast starter for my next brew and am only using dried yeasts, do I do this by doubling the amount of yeast I use? I am going to lager my next brew and will be using SAFLAGER w34 yeast, so should i purchase 2 satchets to accomplish this? Sorry guys, very new to this stuff, Hope to give something back to the AHB community at some stage.
If you are using dried yeast then it is not worth the time and effort and money to buildup a starter, just pitch another pack considering it only costs about $4. If you were using a liquid yeast then it would be worth it. How big a batch are you doing anyway?
HTH

Yes Troy, just use 2 packs for a typical 20L lager (assumed kit?).

Love the handle: "Spiderpig, Spiderpig, does whatever a spiderpig does..."

Thanks to you both 'ausdb' and 'bitter and twisted'. I will be dropping a 20ltr batch, so will run with the second satchet.

Came across a simple step by step method for lagering if anyone is interested. I really thought this was going to be rather complicated, but I think the main point is first knowing how to do it and secondly purchasing yourself a good batch of patience. I am yet to find a good HBS that stocks this stuff though. If anyone wants this step posted, let me know.

Spiderpig does whatever a spider can. I cannot climb trees though as I am just a pig.

Troy

Welcome to the game! And you've already figured out the most useful tool in the Brewery - patience. ;)

Back