• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

In Search Of Bottles In Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeez neez

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm new to the game and I'm getting ready to bottle my second brew and I'm already all out of bottles!
For my first batch I had a few empty stubbies lying around and bought a box of bottles from my local hb shop. I just cant bring myself to buy any more bottles new! its outrageous that they can charge almost $30 for a box of bottles! I can buy a full slab for that!
I've done the searching around ebay and trading posts and what not but they are harder to come by than it would seem.

If anyone around Melbourne has some bottles they are looking to offload I am more than happy to take them off your hands.

Also has anyone had experience with putting crown seals on twist tops with a hand capper? there are some people selling twist off bottles of ebay but i dont want to get them and realise they cant be used.

Thanks
Happy Brewing

Crowns on twist tops with a hand capper... I had a < 50% success rate. Some cracked, some leaked. Go for a bench capper, you'll never look back!

What size are you after or is it a matter of "any bottles, i'm desperate!" . Also what suburb are you in?

I've got a few green bottles you're welcome to, maybe a few others. Monash area. Roughly 20-30.

Grain and Grape are now selling 28 long necks for 33 bucks i think thats not a bad deal really saves you stuffing around getting dirty bottles off people that home brewed 20 years ago

its outrageous that they can charge almost $30 for a box of bottles! I can buy a full slab for that!

That's your answer - Every time you go past the bottle shop, buy three coopers longnecks - or organise a barbecue with a couple of friends and buy 30. They'll help you polish them off. Coopers longnecks are great for bottling - strong, crown seal etc. It's how I started.

While I prefer glass you can buy a box of coopers PET longnecks from k-mart for much less that the HBS bottles. Otherwise European 500mL are ok (again you'll have to drink the contents first). I could have helped you out with some of those a few weeks ago but I just gave them away to another brewer. My longnecks are all required.

One other trick for the future is to befriend someone who drinks coopers and encourage them to buy longnecks and pass the bottles onto you. I work with someone who happens to consume vast quantities so every so often I get a couple of boxes dropped at my doorstep.

What size are you after or is it a matter of "any bottles, i'm desperate!" . Also what suburb are you in?

It is a matter of "I'm desperate" at this stage, don't care at all about bottle size. Wanting to bottle in the next day or too and I have very few bottles. I'm in the Caulfield area but happy to drive around.

I've got a few green bottles you're welcome to, maybe a few others. Monash area. Roughly 20-30.
I'm happy to take those off your hands :) Monash is not too far

....One other trick for the future is to befriend someone who drinks coopers and encourage them to buy longnecks and pass the bottles onto you. I work with someone who happens to consume vast quantities so every so often I get a couple of boxes dropped at my doorstep.

This is the plan for the future..I'm getting all my friends to save any bottles they go through, trouble is they won't go through enough in time for bottling.

Thanks for replies!

If you don't mind cleaning them, hit up one of the local function centres or pubs. They usually have a ton of bottles in the recycling bin, and may be happy to let you have them. That's what I did when I first started, ended up with hundreds :)

Cheers

(again you'll have to drink the contents first)

Oh poo!

I second the Coopers PET - great for emergency bottles and the boxes are pretty handy.

Hi Jeez

I have plenty of crown seal stubbies you can have.

Send me a PM.

Cheers V

For the twist cap bottles make sure the caps you use are made of soft metal, I know the greensborough home brew shop sells them, I've used them with a bench capper and it works fine, my parents drink pure blond so it works out well for me.

Aaron

I have a few dozen long necks you can have, where are you in Melbourne ?

get a bench capper with the champane bottle attachment then score some champaine bottles very strong bottles good for newbiews might be easy to get from pubs and clubs this time of year

Hi Jeez Neez,

I Have 4 Boxes of PET bottles . I also have a coopers kit minus the fermenter , hydometer and some bits .All are clean you are welcome to them .

I also have some long neck glass bottles ,2 or 3 dozen . they need a clean .

I live in mornington and am working in Doncaster .

This Offer is open to other AHB members if Jeez Neez isn't interested .

Mitternacht Brauer

Crowns on twist tops with a hand capper... I had a < 50% success rate. Some cracked, some leaked. Go for a bench capper, you'll never look back!

One of those flimsy B@#$%^ bottles broke when I was hand capping ( with the old hammer type), went through a leather glove and got me some stiches and a tetanus jab.

Latest posts

Back