In Bavaria?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Brown

Reaction score
Back from my trip of Germany/Belgium/the Netherlands and I would strongly reccomend anyone who goes to Bavaria to try the Aecht Shlenterla Rauchbier from the Schlenterla tavern in Bamberg. An old hard timbered pub with a cosy atmosphere dispenses this wonderful smoky brew from wooden barrels, very strong smoky taste like smoked bacon but well balanced. Tried the Rauchweiss as well but it wasn't as much to my liking, but their Marzen style Rauch was my favourite beer in Bamberg and quite possibly the whole trip!
Europe2009184.jpg

You obviously have some history with this beer?Because when I see Aecht Shlenterla Rauchbier I'm thinking you need to get to the Belgium leg of your journey.

Then you will experience real beer

You obviously have some history with this beer?

None in particular, but was keen to try a rauchbier from bamberg while there, tried several and they were all good but this one was by far my favourite, just reccomending it to any AHB members who may travel to that part of the world, or asking any who have tried it before what there take on it was...

We're on a ferry from Greece to Italy atm. Trying to talk the gf into a stop at Bamberg after or before Oktoberfest.

Aecht Schlenkerla Marzen is a fantastic beer, I couldn't agree more, so unique and so delicious. A good one to sip around a campfire at night. Just in case you don't know you can buy this beer here in WA, in pint sized bottles. PM me if you need to know where.

Because when I see Aecht Shlenterla Rauchbier I'm thinking you need to get to the Belgium leg of your journey.
Then you will experience real beer

I know about 82 million people who would disagree with you on that. While I enjoy Belgian beer a lot, every German I talk to about it tells me "bah, but this is not beer!"

I know about 82 million people who would disagree with you on that. While I enjoy Belgian beer a lot, every German I talk to about it tells me "bah, but this is not beer!"
And so would about 20 million Aussies... "this shit doesnt taste like VB!"

Latest posts

Back