Immersion Heater - - - Honkers Special

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there was a little discussion abuot this type of heater, see bulkbuy immersion element.

In short is says don't put you hand in the fluid, not to be used in metal container.

For the price it is bloody tempting, but there are warning bells regarding the advise in the ebay ad not to use in metal containers. If the thing is working properly it shouldn't be leaking current and should be earthed anyways... They look similar to the ones from the bulk buy mentioned except ebay one is longer and has round moulded part. I guess you really need to ask yourself why a tobins immersion element costs about $120 and what is wrong with these for them to be only $11.11 a throw.

I'll get off my soap box, again.

For the price it is bloody tempting, but there are warning bells regarding the advise in the ebay ad not to use in metal containers. If the thing is working properly it shouldn't be leaking current and should be earthed anyways... They look similar to the ones from the bulk buy mentioned except ebay one is longer and has round moulded part. I guess you really need to ask yourself why a tobins immersion element costs about $120 and what is wrong with these for them to be only $11.11 a throw.

I'll get off my soap box, again.

Hmmm... good point.

why couldnt you use a tropical fish heater instead <_<
Er ... because tropical fish, typically, don't like being exposed to a roiling boil. Unless they are particularly hardy tropical fish of course. Then again I know FA about tropical fish and even less about tropical fish heaters. Perhaps the fish like to put their feet up in front of a 2 bar electric heater. Not that it gets that cold in the tropics ... so many questions ...

Er ... because tropical fish, typically, don't like being exposed to a roiling boil. Unless they are particularly hardy tropical fish of course. Then again I know FA about tropical fish and even less about tropical fish heaters. Perhaps the fish like to put their feet up in front of a 2 bar electric heater. Not that it gets that cold in the tropics ... so many questions ...

I know sweet fa about tropical fish also but I am pretty sure they dont have feet :rolleyes:

I would use one only if my metal container was earthed. B)

Same as any element really. :)

if your afraid of get a"boot"from it,run it off a rcd..any issues and it will trip..

problem is that most RCDs trip at 16A... and that is still more than enough to kill you. I will talk to my boss about these (im a first year sparky apprentice!) and get his advice. If he says it looks ok, it might change a few opinions here... or he may well confirm that it is a dodgy set-up. To me, it looks like the sort of element you would see in a Hot Water System, which would be completed isolated from human contact and well insulated.

The fact that they specify that they are not to be used in a metal container rings my alarm bells. Recently had an unpleasant experience with a live HLT that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Who said fish don't have feet?

mexicanwalkingfish.jpg

RCDs are designed to prevent electrocution by detecting the leakage current, which can be far smaller (typically 530 milliamperes) than the currents needed to operate conventional circuit breakers or fuses (several amperes). RCDs are intended to operate within 25-40 milliseconds, before electric shock can drive the heart into ventricular fibrillation, the most common cause of death through electric shock.

RCD is only any good if the damn thing is earthed though. I suggest earthing the pot manually, I have used car jumper leads to fixed copper plumbing to do this, I am sure there are better more reliable ways.

no, RCD don't require earth, they work on balance between active and neutral, if there is an out of balance the theory is it's going to earth.

Correct. To clarify my point, I'd rather be using earthed element & pot so that it trips before I become the earth/out of balance. Getting zapped even with a RCD device still eats the bag.

RCD is only any good if the damn thing is earthed though. I suggest earthing the pot manually, I have used car jumper leads to fixed copper plumbing to do this, I am sure there are better more reliable ways.
WRONG!

no, RCD don't require earth, they work on balance between active and neutral, if there is an out of balance the theory is it's going to earth.
Right! :icon_cheers:

If the thing is working properly it shouldn't be leaking current and should be earthed anyways...
This is exactly what I asked/suggested to the Ebay-vendor, in regard to not putting your hand in the water or using a metal container, here is their reply:
"Hi, friend, has asked our engineer for suggestion, he says it may leak alittle, for safty, it is better that not touch. :)
-solaluna88"
For the price I was tempted to buy one, but if the vendor says that their engineer suggests it "may leak a little" I'm going to give it a miss.

Back