Immersion Heater - - - Honkers Special

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact that they specify that they are not to be used in a metal container rings my alarm bells. Recently had an unpleasant experience with a live HLT that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Who said fish don't have feet?

mexicanwalkingfish.jpg
That's Axolotl. It's not even a fish. But it is very funny.

That's Axolotl. It's not even a fish. But it is very funny.

Pretty sure its a fish dude. If it lives under water, has gills and doesnt come up to breathe, then its a fish.

And if it didnt have those frills around its neck, it would look like walking penis fish.

This is exactly what I asked/suggested to the Ebay-vendor, in regard to not putting your hand in the water or using a metal container, here is their reply:
"Hi, friend, has asked our engineer for suggestion, he says it may leak alittle, for safty, it is better that not touch. :)
-solaluna88"
For the price I was tempted to buy one, but if the vendor says that their engineer suggests it "may leak a little" I'm going to give it a miss.
Did he seriously put in the smiley face? :lol:
I also saw on ebay there were some similar you could get from the Ukraine for as low as $1 (starting bid).
I'd say the reply you'd get from them would be something like, "it might f##king leak a little bullshit f##king"

Did he seriously put in the smiley face? :lol:

its hong kong for chirst sakes! they'd shove a dozen shu mai and a two fingered peace sign/V gesture down their ethernet if they had the chance.

... and what tasty shu mai it would be. :icon_drool2:

Actually, I can recommend this one, have been using 1500W version with no problem when I was living in Poland:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Advanced-Heater-...=item3a59b00cf6

(description - google-translate-hillarious ;-))

AFAIK it is exactly the same item as the ones from Ukraine showing on ebay from time to time. At least it comes from a country where SOME safety regulations are being respected ;-)

I bought one of these without reading the ad fully.

I'm not overly concerned by it. It will only be used in an urn to get to the boil faster. The urn will be earthed through it's plug anyway, so any leakage will see it trip before i get too close.

To be on the safe side though I'll run a megger over it first and probably every couple of brews to check for any degradation.

Back