Immersion Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan 117

Reaction score
Hey Guy's

I just came back from Bunnings (went to buy lightbulbs for the outdor floodlights) and i bought 6m of 1/2" copper tubing that i plan to use to make an immersion/counterflow chiller with. My only concern is will 6m be enough, the video of how to do this i found on youtube uses about 15 metres of half inch.

Will my 6 metres be enough, any ideas?

Cheers

Aaron

Hey Guy's

I just came back from Bunnings (went to buy lightbulbs for the outdor floodlights) and i bought 6m of 1/2" copper tubing that i plan to use to make an immersion/counterflow chiller with. My only concern is will 6m be enough, the video of how to do this i found on youtube uses about 15 metres of half inch.

Will my 6 metres be enough, any ideas?

Cheers

Aaron

Well I can tell you that 5m is definitely not enough. I made one a while ago without really researching it and it has ended up being pretty much useless. I actually put an extension arm/elbow of about 600mm on it from the bottom and it still doesn't do the job. Not sure if you can get joiners... but i would try and find out before making it. Maybe you can add a few metres onto it before coiling it.

Mine took about 9m, I would think 6m is too short.

I made mine out of a full 18m coil, but that was in an 80L kettle (old 18 gal keg)

I have to say I've got no issues with my 5m I made up from scrap. I recirculate through the pump and over the coil (and back into the water tank), usually chills from 90C+ down to less than 25C in around 30 mins. As long as you keep the flow through the chiller fairly low, and keep agitating the wort, there should be no issues chilling with a short chiller. My 2c anyway :)

Cheers

Back