• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Immersion Chiller and/or Gas Burner for first BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutbackNash

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm piecing together my first brewing setup. I'm in a small ass apartment so I've opted for BIAB to start out.

Im in the market for a gas burner, 40-50ft of copper or an actual immersion chiller.

If anybody is looking to get rid of these then I'd be glad to hear from you!

Cheers,

Blair

Gas burner in a small apartment a good idea? Do you have a balcony?
Considered electric?

What size pot will you be BIAB'ing in?

May help others make some recommendations.

Welcome to the forum, and once set up you will be kicking yourself for not starting ealier.

Cheers,
D80

EDIT: sorry didn't see that this was buy and sell!

I've got a 14meter stainless steel immersion chiller. Bought it for $200. Would sell for $150. Much easier to clean than copper.

I'm in NSW 2500.. Didn't see your location??

Haha yeh that's a fair concern. I have a pretty large courtyard, central to the whole complex, everyone's cooking smells pretty dam good here but I think it'll be hard to beat fresh wort, hopefully I'll smoke out a few home brewers if there are any.

I have looked at electric but I dunno I figured the extra cleaning will annoy me and there's less things to break (I'm not to proficient in DIY stuff just yet). But I'm keeping an open mind with this stuff so open to suggestions for sure.

I'm converting a Keg this weekend, I know its knot IDEAL for BIAB but I've been doing some research and I'll make my hole pretty large, found an old stainless steel platter about 12.5 inch diameter so going for a 12 inch hole. Collecting the ball valve etc tomorrow. I'm also considering a rubber ring around the edge of the hole to prevent tearing the bag, figure it will be fine as long as I clean n sanitise it properly each time. For now I've got an old oven rack to drain the bag on and I'm planning on sowing my own bag, haven't figured out the right size yet as I'm assuming the bag will bulge making it a prick to get out.

Thanks Kit Master, I'm actually in Fitzroy Melbourne though so might not be the easiest thing to move! I've found 18 meters of copper pipe for $70 which I think I'll be able to make the chiller from. Is this a good price? Whats the issues with cleaning the copper?

I love no chill. 10-20$ for a cube or 2 (or cheaper) compared to $100 + for a chilller. Plus you can store your wort until your ready to ferment. Unless your planning on doing a rreally hoppy beer for your first brew id think about no chill. Im on BIAB No.21 and have never used a wort chiller. The more I learn the more I can't justify the expense. Id love to try it one day but theres too much other good stuff to buy.

Having said that I would say imho that 18m of pipe for $70 is an excellent price. Depending on the diameter of course. A chiller would be good to have but not totally necessary.

Nothing wrong with a keg for a brew pot. Also if you do a bit of research I think (not sure) an electric element is cheaper than a gas burner depending on what you get. Make sure you get the right one. Plenty of options for a 50lt keg. You have to consider how to make the hole though which depends on your DIY skills and possible extra cost. But no gas bottle refills.

I use gas and electric at same time :) but I boil 60L so need see Powah! Plus if gas runs dry I have fall back. Or if power goes out I have gas heat. The brew goes on. If both fail I would just cry.

No need to actually sow a bag together, just use a flat piece of material that is big enough to line the pot. Once it is full of grain and you bring it all together to lift it out, it will find it's own 'bag' shape! much stronger and easier to clean that way...

Edit: just realised what you mean about trying to get the bag out through a hole.... forget what I said.

When looking at making a chiller, I found the cheapest way to get copper pipe was from a refridgeration supplies shop that was $60ish for 18m of 3/8" pipe.

Thanks for your help guys, the large flat sheet for the BIAB bag is a great tip I'll just buy a heap of it and cut more as i need! Got 18m of copper for $80 from a bloke on a boat right up the back of docklands (was scared id be sleeping with the fishes for a moment). I think I'll be able to make 2 chillers with that amount so if all goes well I'll chuck the other one up here in a little while.

If you can solder or know someone who can instead of one continuous pass split it so you get 2 passes 2 ins 2 outs and t them together as by the time the cooling water is half way through the single pass coil its the same temp as the wort and it wont pick up any more heat 2 pass coil much faster ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1445855379.392803.jpg

Latest posts

Back