Immersion (Aquarium) Heater Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Macca

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After 40 batches I've had to tip out 2. The infection was interesting, it didn't fit any of the literature on the subject. It gave the beer a harsh aroma instead of a hoppy aroma and harsh bitterness. It almost tasted like a crap beer rather than an off beer. I could drink them just, but life's too short to drink below par beer.

I have 4 fermenters and when I'm at capacity, I use a lid I picked up off a friend that has an immersion heater built in. I don't use it that often as it is a bit of a PITA having a heater clunking around when cleaning and dry hopping.

Anyway, I managed to put 2 and 2 together and determined that the source was the immersion heater. I never realized that the cap with the temparture dial could be pried off with a screw driver. Underneith the cap was the most festering yeast explosion I've seen and it was easy to tell why my beer was coming out a bit off. It was like staring into my grandmothers washing basket...eek

My reason for posting is to hopefully prevent someone else wasting batches of beer with infected immersion heaters :)

Big Macca

Friend of mine who worked in an emergency room in San Francisco has an interesting infected aquarium heater story, but that's off topic.

Hahaha, maybe my mate used it in a similar fashion before he gave it to me. Tassy winter's are cold and lonely :D

Glad Wrap and a reptile heater cord.....I can heat three fermentors with the one heater element and no risk of infection. Cheap too.

Back