I'm Going To Belgium!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try A La Mort Subite it's the one spot I've told SWMBO I'd divorce her if I don't get there when we finally make our trip O/S

moving from one brewery to another and taking the usual holiday snaps in between

ehem.. more lateral thinkers may say that those brewery shots will BE the holliday snaps!! the in between stuff is of little importance :p

...except maybe one of you sporting a monster hangover trying to get a breakfast brew down :icon_chickcheers:

seriously have a good trip

This will be my first trip overseas (sheltered, I know!), so I'm still trying to dumb down my Australian understanding of distance. I happily drive 3 hours to go wakeboarding, yet that distance is more than the trip I'll make from Dublin to the other end of Ireland.
But it will likely take you twice as long :unsure:
Nige

This is my Mecca:

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) :rolleyes:

If you only try one beer make it a Trappist Westvleteren 12, oh and if you could please also bring home a bottle for me you would be my beer Jesus.

Cheers,

TS
I agree Scientist had the honours of being in Antwerp last year and happened to find (after a lot of looking and asking,luckily the mrs speaks Flemish!!!!) the whole range of Westvleteren which totally lived up to their reputation!!!! Ive got 2 westvleteren 12 in my beer cupboard here just looking for an excuse to enjoy then!!!!!!!!!
Very jealous Wakkatoo

We are headed to Ireland in late April for a wedding and got a phone call from the bride-to-be the other day to say the 'hen's night' will actually be in Brussels and will go for about 3 days. :beerbang:

Sooo, that means whilst the wife is off with the Bride, I've got 3 days pretty much to myself to explore Brussels :super:

Anyone been recently? Where should I start?

Bit like a kid in a candy store at the moment!!!!
IMG_5428.JPG
wakkatoo, try it if you can find it. You will not regret it!
Humulus.

View attachment 43723
wakkatoo, try it if you can find it. You will not regret it!
Humulus.
Thanks Humulus, will definately try to find it.

Thats's awesome! Cheers!

Booked the accomodation the other day, not that far from De Bier Tempel which is nice! :beer:

Gonna be a fun few days, followed by some 'drying out' with the sister in law before we spend a week in Northern Ireland at the wedding. We've booked a room in the pub where the reception is held and from what I can work out, this wedding is causing more talk in the town than the royal one happening the day before. Got a feeling its gonna be a social week! :party:

digging this thread up as I head off Friday week :super:
Taken a few notes and will try to chase up the book, although not liking my chances this close to leaving. I've promised to email my kids on a regular basis so if I get a chance I'll stick some pics up on here.

Incredajealous. I personally Would be heading to Brasserie Dupont.

Drinking in Brussels is all about the lambic IMO and honestly you'd be mad to miss out on planet Earth's greatest beverage. My recommendations:-

Chez Moeder Lambic - If there's one beer bar you visit make it this one. Seriously. There's actually now two locations, the original at Saint-Gilles which has a classic 'local' feel pub, but it is a decent trek south of the city centre. The newer Fontainas location has a huge tap list - around 30 with an amazing beer range. Many Cantillon lambics on tap (FouFoune, Vigneronne, Iris, Zwanze, Lou Pepe etc) as well as their straight lambic and faro on cask. Too many guest beers to name and they change frequently anyway. Just Get Here.

Cantillon Brewery - The brewery opens around 9 in the morning so worth starting the day here (and then walk over to ML Fontainas). This will probably be the highlight of your visit. They also serve up the lambic and faro from a jug at the 'bar'. A must see.

A La Mort Subite - Beautiful building thats worth a look alone. It's worth checking in for the draught faro as it's not common to find this elsewhere.

Het Warm Water - This is a really good find. It's basically a homely cafe but the clincher is they serve Giardin lambic and kriekenlambic on cask - the only place in Brussels to do so. The Kriek is really good and food is decent. Opens early. Lambic & Crepes for breakfast is a win on every level (especially after a boozy night!).

Le Poechenellekelder - Quirky pub opposite Mannekin Pis. To be honest it is pretty touristy and gets packed every night, but it is a characterful pub. Try and come earlier in the day. Decent bottle range of Belgian ales. If you haven't had De Dolle before then try the arabier and oerbier here. Great beers.

Food is generally good in most places. If your after something special don't miss Int Spinnekopke. The best restaurant for fine food and beer. The mussels are probably the best I've had in Brussels (they have Maredsous beer sauce for eg.) and the clincher is they serve 3 Fonteinen lambic on draught here. Service is memorable in itself for abrupt, bordering rude staff, which I kinda like, but yeah the food and beer is top notch.

Netnigenough is another beery restaurant you can check out. I had a fantastic meal there last year but on my visit a few weeks back the quality had declined. I'm hoping it was just a bad night. The beers list is solid though.

Bier Circus is another decent restaurant/beer bar.

Hope this gives you more insight into the better places to drink beer in brussels.

Lucky Bugger.
Definitely jump on a train to Brugges for a day if your schedule has room. Wander round, get lost, have a beer or three.

If you're in Brussells for long, track down the Delirium Cafe. I went in 2005 and they guaranteed more than 2000 beers in stock. The place is a bit cheesy, and it's definitely a tourist joint - but the choice is second to none. Good place if you want to find specific beers and don't have time to go to the brewery etc.

Here's a picture of the beer menu.
100_0655.jpg

Drinking in Brussels is all about the lambic IMO and honestly you'd be mad to miss out on planet Earth's greatest beverage. My recommendations.......

.....Hope this gives you more insight into the better places to drink beer in brussels.

Nate, that's awesome! Appreciate the effort you went to there. Have taken notes and added them to 'the list'

Lucky Bugger.
Definitely jump on a train to Brugges for a day if your schedule has room. Wander round, get lost, have a beer or three.

I definately want to get to Brugges, but time is going to be the issue. Will see how I go but I've got a feeling this won't be my only trip there :icon_cheers:

If you're in Brussells for long, track down the Delirium Cafe. I went in 2005 and they guaranteed more than 2000 beers in stock. The place is a bit cheesy, and it's definitely a tourist joint - but the choice is second to none. Good place if you want to find specific beers and don't have time to go to the brewery etc.

Ta Nick. Yup, had Delirium written down. I've seen somewhere the 2000 beers so figured it was a good spot to get to for the exact reasons youe mentioned.

Thanks Humulus, will definately try to find it.

Thats's awesome! Cheers!

Booked the accomodation the other day, not that far from De Bier Tempel which is nice! :beer:

Gonna be a fun few days, followed by some 'drying out' with the sister in law before we spend a week in Northern Ireland at the wedding. We've booked a room in the pub where the reception is held and from what I can work out, this wedding is causing more talk in the town than the royal one happening the day before. Got a feeling its gonna be a social week! :party:

That will be one hell of a bender: 3 days Belgium and a week in Ireland. You won't remember the trip home!

Hi all, as i type this i'm in my hotel foyer in central Brussels :beerbang:

What a brilliant place this is for the beer lover!! every shop seems to sell beer and at dirt cheap prices! Picked up a 750ml bottle of Leffe Blond for about 4AUD from the local supermarket.

This is my Mecca:

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) :rolleyes:

If you only try one beer make it a Trappist Westvleteren 12, oh and if you could please also bring home a bottle for me you would be my beer Jesus.

I managed to track down a bottle today (for me mind you!). Cost a pretty penny too, and the barman at Delirium Tremens was impressed I had one, recommended I put this particular bottle down for the next 12 months before opening, so that's what will be done.

Try A La Mort Subite it's the one spot I've told SWMBO I'd divorce her if I don't get there when we finally make our trip O/S

OMG! My favourite bar so far! The guerze is simply perfect! Mind you, their framboise has turned my wife into a beer drinker :icon_cheers:

Off to Cantillon Brewery tomorrow as well as a few other spots before my Belgian tour ends and I'm in Switzerland.

Seriously, save your cash and get here - awesome!!!

Wakkatoo

Back