I'm A Dad !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, Ferg and family.

Thnk-you to everyone for your thoughts and wishes...
Mum & bub doing fine...
Dad needs a beer !
Cheers
Ferg

Plenty of time to brew while the bub is sleeping?! Congrats Ferg on your addition to the family!!!

Good on ya mate.

As a first time baby owner of just over four months my self, allow me to impart a few observations.

* Lack of sleep is almost like a subversive dissenter trying to overthrow your very sanity.

* Hangover duration and severity now have me drinking glasses of water to round the night off.

* Brain fog has me forgetting everything I don't scribble on the back of my hand.

* My wife's bullish determination to breast feed has been a blessing.

* Everyone else knows what's best, you'll be getting advice from all and sundry - graciously accept it - then discard it in favor of your own instinct and judgment.

* If people want to buy you stuff, suggest disposable nappies and nursery wipes.

* Don't let well meaning visitors wake baby up for a cuddle - the more overtired they get, the harder they are to settle - oh yeah..

* They out grow clothes faster than the Hulk. My young bloke is moving into '0' sized attire already, basically rendering half his wardrobe useless.

* Get yourself one of those battery powered auto baby rockers with the vibrating function - money well spent I tells ya.

* The first time they look up and smile, you may find you have 'something in your eye'..

Good luck, its the greatest!

Well put Dave70. Point #4 gave me a giggle, cause I felt the same way, was sooooo glad I never had to get up during the night

Congratulations Ferg. I hope you have a health supply of beer in stock, I have a feeling youll be preoccupied with other thing for a while.

* Get yourself one of those battery powered auto baby rockers with the vibrating function - money well spent I tells ya.

+1

I just became an uncle for the first time and my niece loves her auto rocker.

Well put Dave70. Point #4 gave me a giggle, cause I felt the same way, was sooooo glad I never had to get up during the night

Another one who agrees with this sentiment........If the government really wanted to lift breastfeeding rates in this country they should target the men to encourage them to support their wives.....No bottles to wash, never have to get up for a midnight feeding session, no need to lug around the extra weight of bottles/formula, more money saved for brewing.......It's a no brainer..

Good on ya mate.

As a first time baby owner of just over four months my self, allow me to impart a few observations.

* Lack of sleep is almost like a subversive dissenter trying to overthrow your very sanity.

* Hangover duration and severity now have me drinking glasses of water to round the night off.

* Brain fog has me forgetting everything I don't scribble on the back of my hand.

* My wife's bullish determination to breast feed has been a blessing.

* Everyone else knows what's best, you'll be getting advice from all and sundry - graciously accept it - then discard it in favor of your own instinct and judgment.

* If people want to buy you stuff, suggest disposable nappies and nursery wipes.

* Don't let well meaning visitors wake baby up for a cuddle - the more overtired they get, the harder they are to settle - oh yeah..

* They out grow clothes faster than the Hulk. My young bloke is moving into '0' sized attire already, basically rendering half his wardrobe useless.

* The first time they look up and smile, you may find you have 'something in your eye'..

Good luck, its the greatest!

My son turned one last week, everything you said is spot on, though sometimes breastfeeding isn't a choice all Mum's get to make.

On the downside I haven't been kayaking or fishing since about 3 months before he was born.

On the upside I started thinking about a hobby I could get into that I could do a bit closer to home, and it was welcome back to home brew.

Congrats Ferg

Another one who agrees with this sentiment........If the government really wanted to lift breastfeeding rates in this country they should target the men to encourage them to support their wives.....No bottles to wash, never have to get up for a midnight feeding session, no need to lug around the extra weight of bottles/formula, more money saved for brewing.......It's a no brainer..
I would rather (and have) get up several times a night to bottle feed our baby rather than see my lovely wife sit with frustration as to why nature did not bless her with the natural ability to breast feed. Let alone a hungry screaming baby suckling at something that could not sustain him. As much as my wife would have dearly loved to breastfeed both of our boys it was simply not to to be. And afterall ffs, she carried (uncomfortably) both our babies for 9 months each, if i cant lug my fat arse out of bed every so often to tend to our baby childs needs; then i'm just a lazy prick. I equally shared this workload with my wife and i really feel an infinity with both my boys because of it, something i would never give up. My youngest 11mths is exceptional, and the oldest (7yrs) is extremely intellectual, above most in his class. And exceptionally sportsminded, plays above his age in club footy. In summary, i'd have it no other way, and i know i sat up often in the wee hours with both my boys to ensure they got sustenance. I mean after all blokes, in the scheme of things...its not that hard.
end rant...

Congrats ferg, you'll love it.

Regards
Matt

Congrats ferg. 1st of a couple I hope. They completely change for brewing, I mean life. But for the better. Our 3rd should be arriving in about 6 weeks, and u don't go back for 3rds if it's a bum deal

congrats ferg - I have 5mth old twin boys. Completely changes your life!! for the good - - I believe hehehe

Congrats Ferg.

I got up to bottle feed some expressed milk in the early weeks. But our 3.5 month old son worked out 6-8 hours sleeps pretty early on and I am eternally grateful. Not so much for me, but SWMBO who was having a real rough time getting up at all hours.

Congrats, mate. Your life has now changed forever. Give it a few months and you will wonder how you lived without the little fella.

We have 2 numbats (3 years and the other 8 months). When the little fella was born I seriously thought I would have to stop AGing because of the obvious time involved. I just brew on Saturday nights. It usually means ending up getting to bed at 1:30 or so, but I enjoy it. You will find ways to work around it.
Enjoy every moment, mate. :icon_cheers:
Cheers, John.

...I just brew on Saturday nights. It usually means ending up getting to bed at 1:30 or so, but I enjoy it. You will find ways to work around it...
Now you're just scaring him ;)

I've spent a lot of thought and effort on reducing the time taken to brew AG, specifically due to commitments with kids.

I mash-in before dinner, get the kids to help out with "stirring Daddy's beer" into the mash tun (incorporating them into the process means it's seen as "family time", rather than "brewing time" by SWMBO), then the next 60-90 mins can be dedicated to dinner, play, and story-time. By the time the house is quiet, mash is done, and it's time to start the first batch sparge.

By No-Chilling, and taking a couple of other shortcuts, I've cut my brew nights down to 3.5 to 4 hours. Could be even less if I BIAB'ed.

Now you're just scaring him ;)

Mate, I reckon the birth would've done that :D I recall a wild animal-like thing screaming insults at me and clawing at my arms. Birth is such a beautiful experience :lol:

I usually try to mash in before dinner too. Then it's free sailing to an early night.
Cheers.

Watching your wife give birth is like watching your favourite pub burn down....... :p

As for brewing with kids, I make a point to take advantage of any day where I am off work and the wife is home in the morning. I set a timer on the HLT and get up at 6am so I can be mashed in by 6:30.......Usually done by lunchtime and then the wife heads off to work.

Latest posts

Back