Illiteracy In Oz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wats much wurs is wen u get emails from ppl an they hav usd text speek in the mesge. Lways maks me lol and I wunda WTF cnt thees peeps spel prply.

There are more functionally illiterate and innumerate people out there then you would think. Runs about 45% of the adult population. And we're not talking reading Tolstoy or working calculus, many people struggle completing forms, writing letters, understanding contracts, splitting a bill, etc. The sad thing is the percentage has been stable for a long time.

Compare that to somewhere like Finland, where there is no literacy problem to speak of.

I think TP needs a new brewery logo for starting this thread - see attached :)

gallery_34_37_17528.jpg

There are more functionally illiterate and innumerate people out there then you would think. Runs about 45% of the adult population. And we're not talking reading Tolstoy or working calculus, many people struggle completing forms, writing letters, understanding contracts, splitting a bill, etc. The sad thing is the percentage has been stable for a long time.

Compare that to somewhere like Finland, where there is no literacy problem to speak of.

Are you sure that Finland doesn't have functional illiteracy issues? I mean, by UNESCO standards Australia & Finland are on 99%, yet I agree with you that the issue is deeper in Australia. What's your evidence that it isn't an issue at all in Finland, comparing apples to apples in terms of definitions? Just interested.

Are you sure that Finland doesn't have functional illiteracy issues? I mean, by UNESCO standards Australia & Finland are on 99%, yet I agree with you that the issue is deeper in Australia. What's your evidence that it isn't an issue at all in Finland, comparing apples to apples in terms of definitions? Just interested.

I for one have never heard anyone from Finland complaining about how illiterate their kinsmen were. Argue with statistics at your peril...

I love being a spelling Nazi.
Where do I join the party?

PS: I agree with the sentiments of the OP.

I definately loose my patience with some people. There real stupid. Expessionarly when they are using rice gulls.

I thought you weren't going Pete....

Jeez your missus is going to be crook at you, 3 boozey days in a week.

Unless yesterday counted as last week....

Differ?
Yankee versus propper proper/correct English? Can't really be bothered doing this again just for you bum.

TP
Again? You didn't even do it once. Perhaps you should concern yourself more with content than form.

I would personally argue that the meanings of the words we use are more important than how we spell them. You obviously feel differently. I'll leave you to it.

Perhaps those that like to comment on the Linguistic skill levels of their peers should first study their own syntax and morphological abilities ;)

I thought you weren't going Pete....

Jeez your missus is going to be crook at you, 3 boozey days in a week.

Unless yesterday counted as last week....

KB I brought you authentic British Indian Restaurant curry to PUBS and you didn't turn up. However I still have some in the freezer I can bring on Thursday B)

I tend to go about my everyday life in grunts but that doesn't work so well online.

Mate I am hanging out for Winkles, I cant wait to smash some of your curries. I wont be drinking on Thurs though, the people of Queensland need sugar-water legopener and who am I to deny them.....

KB I brought you authentic British Indian Restaurant curry to PUBS and you didn't turn up. However I still have some in the freezer I can bring on Thursday B)

Some brewers would just have kept schtum.
^^^
Sigh. Lets keep our recent posts free from any mis-spelling (coming soon, correction on my hyphenation......) before throwing around an accusation of illiteracy shall we. From the above statement I'll assume you are not able to read or write.

I would be one of the worse and TBA IDGAF lol I know what I mean and I know it doesnt make sense (maybe why no one replies to me?) oh well you get that. I don't have to nor do I want to write a novel or some text that it would really matter.

Mate I am hanging out for Winkles, I cant wait to smash some of your curries. I wont be drinking on Thurs though, the people of Queensland need sugar-water legopener and who am I to deny them.....

So thats why you offered me a cider.................................................aint gunna happen big fella

well not after one cider ;)

I trained as a primary school teacher in the 80s. The fact is most primary teachers are silly girls who have no interest in literacy, and really hate maths. They go into teaching because the mark required is low and they want to work with children.

Latest posts

Back