Ikea swingtops won't hold CO2. not Aldi

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superstock

Reaction score
I made a pear & apple cider for the ladies at a birthday I knew was coming up, put it in a 1 litre Aldi swingtop bottle primed with 8gms sugar & stored under the kitchen sink.
The party was last Saturday, so on Thursday I put it in the fridge. Come saturday evening, opened it, flat as a tack, not a hint of fiz, was nice though, with a nice tart tingle on the tongue.
On checking, there was a good yeast layer on the bottom of the bottle = yeast has eaten the priming sugar. But on upending the bottle there was no fluid leak past the cap.
Has enyone else struck this.

Bribie G said:
What type of swingtop, the lemonade ones?
Picture 008.jpg
this one.

lol yeah those things are terrible they break when you try washing them out in hot water too

I doubt if Aldi would stock IKEA lines.

Pity you don't live in NSW you can occasionally get really excellent Aldi swingtops that as a bonus are full of Flensburger, Hacker-Pschorr, etc. :super:

Have used those Ikea ones a number of times with no issue, you just have to be careful when cracking them for the first time as they sound like a champagne cork.

I've used the aldi (ex french lemonade) swingtops for champagne-like rhubarb wine, and they seal fine.

Be careful that any bottle is pressure-rated. For example, even colesworths will sell swingtop bottles (and most "dollar" stores), but IMHO it would be a dangerous gamble storing carbonated beverages in them.

My rule of thumb is that if it comes with a carbonated drink inside, it's probably OK.

Of course, for the sake of an extra dollar, your LHBS will sell you swingtop bottles perfect for beer.

Back