Iisinglass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalpets

Reaction score
Hi all,

Given the action of Isinglass on yeast (see below quote) can it be used for bottle priming withot a negative effect or is its use only recommended for keg carbonation.

I am currently conditioning in a secondary at 7.5C for a period of 14 days.

"Mode of Action
Cryofine Isinglass speeds up and improves beer clarification by accelerating the sedimentation of yeast and other insoluble material into a compact layer at the bottom of the storage tank. At the pH of beer, the positive charge of Cryofine Isinglass neutralises the negative charge of the yeast cells destroying the mutual repulsion that keeps the cells in suspension and promotes rapid flocculation that settles the yeast cells quickly to the bottom of the tank."

Thanks for your comments.

Do you mean adding individually to the bottle or adding to the fermenter before bottling?

My understanding of all such finings is that you would add in bulk, allow to work, THEN either bottle or keg, although some people do also fine in the keg because they are in a hurry.

My understanding of kegging is minimal by the way because I don't do it but all my gekatin finings have always been added to the fermenter, not the bottle. About to try out some fish guts and will follow a similar process.

Do you mean adding individually to the bottle or adding to the fermenter before bottling?

I will be bulk priming in the secondary,

Just concerned that after 14 days conditioning and with the addition of Isinglsass that I might ruin the priming outcome!

Thanks

Just concerned that after 14 days conditioning and with the addition of Isinglass that I might ruin the priming outcome!

Thanks

As I said - about to use isinglass for the first time but my experience with CC plus other finings is that you will be OK.

Just concerned that after 14 days conditioning and with the addition of Isinglass that I might ruin the priming outcome!

Thanks

Don't worry there will still be billions of yeast cells to carbonate your beer. May take a bit longer than before though.

Latest posts

Back