Identifying Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

WSB
Reaction score
I recently had a couple bottles of Mad Abbott Strong Abbey Ale. As I was planning on brewing a big Belgian style myself, I thought I'd try growing up the yeast from the bottles. I wasn't sure what yeast it was, just that there were two strains of yeast used and that the beer is not pasteurised so I figured what's in the bottle is the primary yeast.

I boiled 50g of DME in my foil covered 500ml flask for 15 mins as I do for any yeast re-culture. I then sat it in a water bath, changing water when required to get the temp down to a pitching temp. I then pitched the dregs of both bottles and swirled periodically for the next few days.

After a while I noticed the starter forming a skin on top. I tasted some of the starter and it was quite horsey. Even though the original beer wasn't over the top on these flavours.

I've left it a few weeks just to see what would happen and now it's formed a pretty thick layer on top and tastes even more over the top horsey. Would this be some strain of Brett?

There's also some yeast settled at the bottom, but it doesn't look as thick as the floating layer.

Does anyone know the yeasts used in this beer?

PB302354__Large_.JPG

PB302353__Large_.JPG

PB302350__Large_.JPG

Latest posts

Back