Ideas For Mounting Co2 Fire Ext Upside Down.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Hello gents,

Im looking for some ideas to mount my Co2 fire extinguisher upside down (Until I use up the co2 and can remove the dip tube)

I am in a single garage so no poles to mount too, and its a rented house so cant really mount brackets etc to the walls. So my options are a stand of some sort or mount it to the side of the fridge.
I was thinking about maybe screwing some sort of bracket to the side of the fridge, but not sure if it would hold the weight of the fire extinguisher without the screws pulling out of the thin fridge wall.

Also I don't like the idea of the reg being exposed at the bottom of the fire ext. Im worried it can be knocked too easily and broken. Can you run a line from the outlet of the extinguisher and mount the reg flush against the fridge and if so where do you get the fittings from?

Anyone done something like this and could share your ideas? Thanks..

Empty it out and get the dip tube removed upfront. The cost of any mounting you come up with will probably be the same as a refil of gas anyway.

big bit of pvc pipe with to rods coming though were the neck of the bottle tappers so it does not fall out

Empty it out and get the dip tube removed upfront. The cost of any mounting you come up with will probably be the same as a refil of gas anyway.

Whats the date on the bottle have to be? Is it ten years? The extinguisher has a number 07 then a smaller number inside a square that says 122 then another 07 Is this 2007? And does that mean its due again in 2007 or was tested in 2007?

big bit of pvc pipe with to rods coming though were the neck of the bottle tappers so it does not fall out

Hey now thats a great idea. I could still strap this to the fridge to hold upright but the wieght would be on the rods through the PVC. And I could cut out a slot for the handle and regulator, unless I can mount this elsewhere.

Okay might look into this one. Thanks for that. :D

Truman,
I use mine standing upright.No problems.

Not that it's any help Truman, but I mounted mine to a pole with tie-down straps. Maybe see if you could do the same to the side of a fridge or similar?

Cheers

Pipe saddles and pop rivets. they wont pull out and the saddles come in heaps of different sizes.

All available from bunnings

Hello gents,

Im looking for some ideas to mount my Co2 fire extinguisher upside down (Until I use up the co2 and can remove the dip tube)

I am in a single garage so no poles to mount too, and its a rented house so cant really mount brackets etc to the walls. So my options are a stand of some sort or mount it to the side of the fridge.
I was thinking about maybe screwing some sort of bracket to the side of the fridge, but not sure if it would hold the weight of the fire extinguisher without the screws pulling out of the thin fridge wall.

Also I don't like the idea of the reg being exposed at the bottom of the fire ext. Im worried it can be knocked too easily and broken. Can you run a line from the outlet of the extinguisher and mount the reg flush against the fridge and if so where do you get the fittings from?

Anyone done something like this and could share your ideas? Thanks..

Here is how i mounted my extinguisher to my fridge even when i empty it and get the dip tube removed ill mount it right way up

I used unistrut channel and pipe clamps i had spare at work

20120723_152925_1.jpg

Here is how i mounted my extinguisher to my fridge even when i empty it and get the dip tube removed ill mount it right way up

I used unistrut channel and pipe clamps i had spare at work

Thanks Kezza thats the sort of thing I wanted to do. So do your bolts go right through to the inside of the fridge with washers and nuts on the inside?

@Adraine....You've used rivets with a full bottle no problems? I thought about rivets but was worried they might pull out?

Mine has been hanging there for about 6 months i knock it bashed it hit and i cant get it to move and there is only 2 metal teks in eack bracket about 25mm long

We use the same setup in the fire industry to hold 6in gal pipe full of water so you should have no dramas with a 5kg extinguisher

i use my fire x for force carbing and dont bother inverting even when blasting the keg with gas
i dont lock it on but, just squirt and shake squirt and shake
i would squirt it

i don't really get enough co2 gas / liquid pouring out that it's liquid and freezing anyway

if your slow force carbing i dont think it would need to be inverted (just my opinion but...)

if you mount it upside down and it falls you could have a issue of the reg smashing the tap thing....

Just be really careful mounting anything to the sides of an upright fridge - the walls are where the cooling coils live. Burst one of those and it's game over.

Perhaps even look at some sort of stand-alone cupboard or similar that you can use decent sized screws/bolts into?

Cheers

Hey Truman,
There is always a gas area on top of the liquid in the cylinder and also the dip tube.The small amount of CO2 that is used means that it comes out as a gas.There is usually a hole in the top of the dip tube in the gas area as well.CO2 comes out as dry ice when the valve is fully opened as in use as a fire fighter.
I have been using this for a long while with no problems but if you are unsure then turn it upside down for your peace of mind.

DSCF2234.JPG

So you've already tried mounting one to the fridge before and it ended up through your roof?

No I meant before I did try it and my ext ended up through the roof because it didn't hold.

But as I said thanks to those that showed me how they did it I should be right.

@Yob... That's hilarious. I love you too.

why re-invent the wheel..

go get a proper fire extinguisher mount and stick the ***er upside down
if you get the dip tube cut, stick the ***er back up the right way

I'd mount it upside down to the fridge with some brackets,
or something maybe some rivets or bolts
Then get the dip tube removed when its empty
What do you think

Back