Idea to use Galaxy Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manson81

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been wanting to try some galaxy hops. What do you think of this recipe?

Can of Coopers or Black Rock IPA
1kg LDME
200g pale ale type grain (crystal?) - steeped for 20 mins in a couple litres of water
Boil the strained grain water (and maybe another litre) with the LDME
Once boiling, flame out and add 20-30g galaxy for 5 mins
Mix into the can of goo in the fermenter
Dry hop another 15-20g after 72 hours

I think it should turn out pretty well. Going to make it probably next tuesday night (once I empty my two fermenters of other brews) but very open to ideas and suggestions!!

looks sexy. to round it i'd use crystal instead of pale ale grain, but i'm not 100% sure what the kit is like so that's just my 2c.

I made a similar beer that was pretty good. Definitely noticed the passionfruit from the galaxy.

Used a munton's ipa kit and 500g crystal. Similar amounts of galaxy and about that amount again of cascade. Turned out quite red with all that crystal.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll take them on board! I'll probably end up doing a couple next week so a bit of trial and error (hopefully not much error!) and I should come out with something tasty.

Currently drinking a Coopers IPA with a brew booster no 20. The tail end after taste is a little watery, I'm wondering if an additional 500 gms LME might sought that out, then add your hops as you please.

Brewed this up tonight. I made pretty much the recipe in my first post, using light crystal (thanks for the advice) and a coopers IPA can. I think it's going to turn out quite dark! Will dry hop another 20g Galaxy in a few days.

Will do another brew in a few days when my other fermenter is free (currently brewing a golden ale) but instead of the IPA can, I'll use either a coopers pale ale or similar can and will add some cascade hops into the mix with the galaxy.

I've had the same dark colour problems using a coopers real ale. Thinking a lager can might be better. Let me know what you end up using next and how it turns out.

Three Sheets said:
Currently drinking a Coopers IPA with a brew booster no 20. The tail end after taste is a little watery, I'm wondering if an additional 500 gms LME might sought that out, then add your hops as you please.
What a difference a week makes. Cold conditioning. Watery tail end has all but gone. Good head retention an lots of lacing to the end. Anyway back on topic I just put down a FWK Galaxy Pale Ale.

Back