I want to make brewing my career, can anyone help or point me in the r

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello beer lovers.

As I said in the title, I'm looking to start a new career. I've been a home brewer for a while and love the process (even the cleaning and sanitising!) and what better way to spend a career than doing something you love?

I've always learned better by doing things rather than reading so ideally I want to get that first foot-in-the-door position and get an understanding of the business before I start studying. I'd start sweeping floors on Monday if it meant a job in the industry.
I've worked in plenty of pubs and clubs including a few years running the cellars so I have some transferable skills, so I'm not starting from scratch.
The long term plan is to run my own company, but that is a few years off.

I'd love any information, recommendations or ideally job leads.

Robin.

Posting in epic thread.

Firstly welcome to the forum and like you, I share the dream of one day owning a brewery. The foot in the door attitude is the right place to start. Now I'm no pro and haven't worked in a brewery but I think there are many like you and I, and similar threads like this tend to show that doing the courses and having some brewering creds is a fast way to get you working in a larger brewery.
You say you've been brewing for a while, but what type of brewing and how seriously do you take it? I think the combination of a strong understanding of brewing fundamentals, experience in all grain brewing, and a qualification in some kind of brewing-related field would be the best way to get ahead.

Good luck with it, there are some posters here who run their own breweries so hopefully they chime in soon.

crowmanz said:
Little Creatures is looking for "brewer across a range of experience levels" http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2015/03/brewing-jobs-little-creatures-geelong/

Only thing that might be an issue is they want someone with: Experience in Machine Operation in a FMCG manufacturing environment (Experience in food or beverage manufacturing preferred)
Little creatures would be a dream start to a career wouldn't it!?
Sadly the commute from Sydney is simply not possible, and moving is out of the question (at this stage).
Thanks though.

TheWiggman said:
Posting in epic thread.

Firstly welcome to the forum and like you, I share the dream of one day owning a brewery. The foot in the door attitude is the right place to start. Now I'm no pro and haven't worked in a brewery but I think there are many like you and I, and similar threads like this tend to show that doing the courses and having some brewering creds is a fast way to get you working in a larger brewery.
You say you've been brewing for a while, but what type of brewing and how seriously do you take it? I think the combination of a strong understanding of brewing fundamentals, experience in all grain brewing, and a qualification in some kind of brewing-related field would be the best way to get ahead.

Good luck with it, there are some posters here who run their own breweries so hopefully they chime in soon.
Yeah thanks.
The brewing I have been doing is very basic and very experimental. Some brews work out ok, others not so much and from that I learn a lot. I live in a flat in Sydney, so sadly don't have the space for an all grain set up and refuse to use the beer-in-a-can kits. So mostly I'm just experimenting with apple cider and ginger beer, which has been great fun and has left me with the occasional tasty drop.

I've got my eye on a few courses, there really aren't that many based in NSW I've found. There is a two week course in Adelaide I have my eye on.

Thanks for the tips.

Robin Nicholls said:
I live in a flat in Sydney, so sadly don't have the space for an all grain set up
Rubbish! You can Brew In A Bag (BIAB) on your stovetop. I did about a dozen batches that way before buying a Grainfather, which I'm also using in my small apartment.

kaiserben said:
Rubbish! You can Brew In A Bag (BIAB) on your stovetop. I did about a dozen batches that way before buying a Grainfather, which I'm also using in my small apartment.
Interesting. Further research necessary...

Yep, its true, search for Mini-BIAB for Stovetop All- Grain resources, the Grainfather has amazing potential too, while other options also exist for limited space.
Good luck in seeking out a career!

The course you mention in Adelaide might be through the Tafe? I've entertained the idea of doing it as well but then reality kicks in.

I have just started an MBA so between that, work, brewing, sport and leisure activities time is a premium. Good luck!

Moad said:
The course you mention in Adelaide might be through the Tafe? I've entertained the idea of doing it as well but then reality kicks in.

I have just started an MBA so between that, work, brewing, sport and leisure activities time is a premium. Good luck!
Yep, that's the one.
Yeah, sounds like you've got enough going on. Maybe post MBA?

RdeVjun said:
Yep, its true, search for Mini-BIAB for Stovetop All- Grain resources, the Grainfather has amazing potential too, while other options also exist for limited space.
Thanks.
Having looked into this further, it is definitely achievable in the space I have. I can't wait to get started with all grain brews!

RdeVjun said:
[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Yep, its true, search for Mini-BIAB for Stovetop All- Grain resources, the Grainfather has amazing potential too, while other options also exist for limited space.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]This[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]All grain is not space dependent, nor does it have to be expensive. You'll also learn a heck of a lot quickly about brewing[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]BIAB is the cheapest option will set you back about $40 - $20 for 19L Big W Stock pot, $5 for swiss voile from spotlight (for the bag & hop bags), $10 for a cheap yoga mat (to keep the mash warm) and $5 for bungy cords (to hold the BIAB bag and the yoga mat / towels)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Really small footprint and a damn cheap way to make great beer. [/SIZE]

This thread is probably the best place for me to ask this:

I remember reading here about a guy who asked about and then organised a licence so that he could supply beer for some sort of event (sadly can't find it now). If someone could point me to the info, or just post up info if they know what's involved, I'd be very grateful.

Basically I have an opportunity to sell my beer at/to a venue (operated by a family member) and want to know how to go about jumping through the legalities of it.

kaiserben said:
This thread is probably the best place for me to ask this:

I remember reading here about a guy who asked about and then organised a licence so that he could supply beer for some sort of event (sadly can't find it now). If someone could point me to the info, or just post up info if they know what's involved, I'd be very grateful.

Basically I have an opportunity to sell my beer at/to a venue (operated by a family member) and want to know how to go about jumping through the legalities of it.
off the top of my head you need the following for it to be legal within NSW:

• RSA liscence - must attend the course and gain your service of alcohol licence
  • Producers/Wholesalers Licence - Apply for this with Liquor and Gaming - must have RSA to get this
  • Excise Licence - Apply for this with the ATO - must have RSA and Producers/Wholesalers liscence
If you can get these ducks in a row then you can make your product, when you make this product you have to pay the excise on the production before it leaves the premise of manufacture. If you want to know what excise is...read this link http://www.caseysbeer.com.au/?page_id=97 Basically its about a $1 per litre give or take.

Then you will have to pay tax on the sale of the beer which is paid when you lodge your tax return for the business you are now running which means you need a business name registered also with the ATO and other governing authorities.

Hope that makes sense and doesnt deter you from doing such, good luck.

Yep. Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

I've heard all the cons before so won't be deterred. Just as long as I don't lose money I'll be happy.

I dunno if this changes anything, but the venue has a liquor licence and I'd likely just be supplying (ie not me serving it). And we'd be gypsy brewing ideally at an established brewery.

RdeVjun said:
Yup, this is my setup in a small Melbourne flat:
20141223-172742-iPhone.JPG

Occasionally i miss my 3V setup back in Adelaide, but this produces 95% of the quality for a tiny amount of space, and a fraction of the overall cost.

Its based off a 43L ebay urn, and all up cost about $150.

Latest posts

Back