I Think My Beer Died

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el capitan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I put on a K&K on Monday night. I kept the temp right, but using the old bag and water trick. It was bubbling like mad on Tues and Wed, then last night it had almost stopped. Has something gone wrong with my beer and how can I check it? I bought new grommets and O rings before I started as well. There is pressure in the keg as I squeeze it it pushes air through the airlock, but the activity has almost stopped.

Hi guys,

I put on a K&K on Monday night. I kept the temp right, but using the old bag and water trick. It was bubbling like mad on Tues and Wed, then last night it had almost stopped. Has something gone wrong with my beer and how can I check it? I bought new grommets and O rings before I started as well. There is pressure in the keg as I squeeze it it pushes air through the airlock, but the activity has almost stopped.

What was in the brew? It may have just slowed to an extent where co2 is leaking out of gaps in the seals. Can you still see bubbles popping on the surface? Has the temp dropped?

Hello el capitan
Im new to the HB thing to. I had done my second brew and all activity had stopped. The Final gravity was 1020 I asked some questions on this site. I tried all. As a last resort i kegged it. now drinking. Not overly happy with results.
Someone else with more experience hopefully has some answers.
It is possible all fermentation is complete

I think the first thing check the FG. if its correct bottle/keg it.

Roota

What was in the brew? It may have just slowed to an extent where co2 is leaking out of gaps in the seals. Can you still see bubbles popping on the surface? Has the temp dropped?

It was the Coopers Mexican with malt instead of sugar/dextose.
The surface is foggy can't see into it, but when i squeeze the keg the airlock bubbles. I'm just worried that it hasn't passed the 7days and that it has died. The temp is still around 19 degrees. Its in the laundry and away from the heat.

Should I just take a hydro reading and if it stays the same over 3 days bottle it? And if I do bottle it, am I best to use plastic in case the yeast desides to kick it after bottling?

It was the Coopers Mexican with malt instead of sugar/dextose.
The surface is foggy can't see into it, but when i squeeze the keg the airlock bubbles. I'm just worried that it hasn't passed the 7days and that it has died. The temp is still around 19 degrees. Its in the laundry and away from the heat.

Should I just take a hydro reading and if it stays the same over 3 days bottle it? And if I do bottle it, am I best to use plastic in case the yeast desides to kick it after bottling?

At that temp the yeast would not have stopped. Check the SG over the next 3 days to see if it is still working.
Squeezing the fermenter is not an indication of a good seal. My brew stopped bubbling days ago but the SG is falling and I can see wee bubbles on the surface as my fermenter has a clear plastic lid.
If the SG stays constant then bottle away
Oh, and It will last a lot longer than 7 days. Mines been in for 10 days now and I will probably bottle it one day 12.

Don't panic, its all part of the process. It is normal for it to go nuts for a few days and then slow down to almost a standstill.

I'm just worried that it hasn't passed the 7days and that it has died.
Please don't get hung up on time frames ie 7 days, especially if it is the instructions on the can.

You have really already answered your own question, just do what you have said. If you are that unsure use plastic but if you follow the FG rules you won't have a problem.

all the best & enjoy

Daawl

Yep, FG is the best way to know if fermentation has finished. If you think that the yeast may have stalled, give the fermenter a very gentle swirl to rouse the yeast, no splashing. Unless you're in a desperate hurry you don't have to bottle as soon as fermentation has finished anyway. I always leave mine for a few more days to let it settle and clear (I don't use finings).

Yeah, ditto what everyoine else said - RDWHAHB! [Relax, Don't Worry, Have Another Home-Brew!]

Generally I only bottle ales after 12 to 14 days unless I really am in a rush and then I bother checking SG/FG. Lagers brewed at appropriate temps [ie <10 to 15'C] however will need longer depending on temp.

Basically just chill out for 12 days, take an SG reading, then two days later take another one. They will almost always be the same if brewing normal-ish brews at ale temps [16-20'C {over this will give bad flavours/harsh bitterness/poor head retention}], and therefore its then safe to bottle the brew.

I'm doing a Coopers Cerveza with a Coopers BE2 at the moment and its also sitting around the 18-19'C mark. No airlock, just an upturned hotel milk container [you know, the ones that look like big thimbles?] over the airlock hole. I'm not suggesting this, I'm just doing this because at uni my fermenter is in my wardrobe at the foot of my bed and will keep me awake with bubbling otherwise :/

So end point - keep things clean, calm and cool. The three C's of brewing! Cheers - boingk

el capitano,
I never look at the air locks any more, other then to see the fermentation got started.
7 days @ 19 is great.
+1 RDWHAB

Back