I think I'm Going to Stop Trying to Reculture Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midnight Brew said:
Depending on the styles you're brewing Mckenry, could always select a few top cropping strains and keep them going quiet easily.
Thats right Midnight Brew. I'm also brewing for the seasons, so I rarely get to use the stored / rinsed yeast in an acceptably short timeframe. Ive just lost my mojo for this part of homebrewing. I'm enjoying subtle differences between the strains too.
Hopefully this loss of mojo doesnt spiral into brewing itself.... Next thing I'll have a homebrand can and 1kg sugar....

mckenry said:
Another quitter as of today. Fucked around for hours trying to separate WLP820 nicely. Plenty of cold break separation, sweet **** all white yeast. Did over 1.5L from the conical, so diluted in varying tests from 25% to 12.5% and still not seeing anything resembling a good yeast layer.
Maybe there's too much yeast in the cone, which doesnt come through. Its different to swishing around a plastic fermenter. My beer is now cold conditioning, (I'd hoped) without sitting on yeast cake. Not so sure now. I'd not be confident stepping this up to make another lager, thats for sure. Regardless, the farking effort is nowhere near worth it for me. If I was charging for my time, the amount of yeast I get back costs $240. Bullshit argument anyway I know, but I could have been kicking the footy with the kids, out riding my bike, cooking something, or maybe even sampling a few brews!

For $8 I'm going new each time from now on. I step up for 50L anyway, so a new vial works out at less than 7c / schooner.
:D :D

beer 1.jpg

Latest posts

Back