I Need Some Advice...wb-06

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schneider Weisse is the king of the wheaties and the archetype of the style, IMO.

Reculture their yeast FTW...

Schneider Weisse is the king of the wheaties and the archetype of the style, IMO.

Reculture their yeast FTW...
Try finding one in decent condition! I love 3638 though, same difference.

Curiosity got the better of me and I took an SG sample of my hefe fwk with wb06, bubblegum and clove but not much banana so far. It sure did take off though, down from 1046 to 1020 in 48hrs. Pitched at around 22c and been hovering around that since.

Just thought I'd post a quick update, bottled my hefe with the WB06 last night. There was definite banana in there with bubblegum. The clove had dropped off a little. I kept this at 22c for a week after FG was reached. I really like how this turned out.

Just thought I'd post a quick update, bottled my hefe with the WB06 last night. There was definite banana in there with bubblegum. The clove had dropped off a little. I kept this at 22c for a week after FG was reached. I really like how this turned out.

Nice. What % wheat did you use?

Nice. What % wheat did you use?

It was a "Brewers Selection" fresh wort kit, not sure of the grain bill they use sorry. I boiled up 15gm of ground coriander seed and 20gm of orange zest and added it to the wort.

It was a "Brewers Selection" fresh wort kit, not sure of the grain bill they use sorry. I boiled up 15gm of ground coriander seed and 20gm of orange zest and added it to the wort.

That'd be more like a belgian wit than a german hefe with the coriander & orange.

Hmmm, don't know what happened here as I stopped receiving emails letting me know that others had posted...not to worry.

Thanks for the feed back. I really appreciate it. As I said before, I have made many Hefeweizens in the past and I am really only asking questions regarding this WB-06 yeast.

I think I'll give it a go and see what happens. Can't be too bad. I'll run the ferment at 22C and keep my fingers crossed.

Praticalfool, don't use crystal to get the colour profile, use Carahell :super: 250 grams for 25 litres does the trick.

Hmmm, don't know what happened here as I stopped receiving emails letting me know that others had posted...not to worry.

Thanks for the feed back. I really appreciate it. As I said before, I have made many Hefeweizens in the past and I am really only asking questions regarding this WB-06 yeast.

I think I'll give it a go and see what happens. Can't be too bad. I'll run the ferment at 22C and keep my fingers crossed.

Praticalfool, don't use crystal to get the colour profile, use Carahell :super: 250 grams for 25 litres does the trick.

Hi Lindsay, good to see you are still brewing. A little tip for colour - Carawheat. It gives a dryish nutty flavour and of course adds colour.
Cheers, Wes

Curiosity got the better of me and I took an SG sample of my hefe fwk with wb06, bubblegum and clove but not much banana so far. It sure did take off though, down from 1046 to 1020 in 48hrs. Pitched at around 22c and been hovering around that since.

I'm doing my second beer with WB-06 (first was fresh wort heffewiezen) and since its a base for my raspberry whit i'ts just a simple coooper wheat with 1kg wheat malt, 300dex and some steeped grain. Its is down to from 1045 to 1020 in three days and it took 6hrs to get going too (pitched dry yeast on top and left it). Fermenting quite hot (24-25deg) because the beer fridge is busy with a lager and its warm and humid here in brisbane atm.

Its a great yeast IMO and while not as strong in banana as other wheat yeasts its pretty quick, foolproof and i think makes a great beer. I get a bit of banana in both cases during fermentation (i do brew on the high end) and when young in the bottle but it doesn't last and within a week of carbing up the banana is started to dissipate. I found some bottles that were 3 months old of the fresh wort hefewiezen and it had gone into a redback style of beer...lager like, some clove but no banana present at all. I've been told to up the wheat content in the beer if you want more banana from this yeast but not sure if that is true or not.

Depends on what you are looking for i suppose. Also drops out alot more than other wheat yeasts...if you let a bottle settle for a few months and pour carefully its as clear as a lager etc.

Hi Lindsay, good to see you are still brewing. A little tip for colour - Carawheat. It gives a dryish nutty flavour and of course adds colour.
Cheers, Wes

Yep, still going stronger than ever Wes. I don't get on here as often as I used to though. I have found that the young new brewers suck your brains until their heads swell up and then turn around and tell you what your doing wrong.

Anyway, back to the Hefeweizen. I know our memories are not as good as they used to be, however, it was your good self that steered me down the track of Carahell in a hefe and I have never changed. How about that!!

Yep, still going stronger than ever Wes. I don't get on here as often as I used to though. I have found that the young new brewers suck your brains until their heads swell up and then turn around and tell you what your doing wrong.

Anyway, back to the Hefeweizen. I know our memories are not as good as they used to be, however, it was your good self that steered me down the track of Carahell in a hefe and I have never changed. How about that!!

Yep, Carahell is still a must in my collection of malts but give the Carawheat a try for something a little different - helps deliver a dryer finish.

We will have to get together and swap some bullshit about the old days - no good posting it on here though - somebody might learn something!

Cheers,

Wes

Not one for nostalgia usually but I wish some of the older crew would come back.

I'd like to be learning more and the information people used to give out when I first joined was like liquid gold to me.

Thanks guys, I'll have to find some of that carahell or carawheat in my next order. I was just loving the way a very small amoun of crystal (could've been the decoctions) gave my beer that clingy heady foam and that smooth lightly coat the throat silkiness. My hefe keg was quite well drunk so I'll have to knock out another when I get back.

PS: I never quite met the said old crew as I didn't exist at that time. If it is like what I've learnt by going over to other brewers' brews then bring it all back.

Thanks guys, I'll have to find some of that carahell or carawheat in my next order. I was just loving the way a very small amoun of crystal (could've been the decoctions) gave my beer that clingy heady foam and that smooth lightly coat the throat silkiness. My hefe keg was quite well drunk so I'll have to knock out another when I get back.

PS: I never quite met the said old crew as I didn't exist at that time. If it is like what I've learnt by going over to other brewers' brews then bring it all back.

You must have a different perspective of a Craftbrewer these days.

The internet did not exist back when us old bastards eventually worked out what to do to create craft brewed beer. After reading over and over many books, and, I must say there was a whole lot of help from Mel Robson from ESB in Sydney, who I bought the books off, who was a massive support. I still have the books and cherish them..... Greg Noonan and Charlie Parpazian and many more, they are the ones that come to mind....oh my god, how many holes did I have to drill in that fuken bucket and I had malt dripping off every thing in the kitchen. Do you believe that? in the kitchen.! And...........the beer was shit!

When I showed my current brew mate some years ago what you have to do on a brew day, he was a little stunned. I said, it's no rocket scientist stuff, it's all time, temperature and cleanliness, I told him that I could train a monkey to do this........... he's the monkey these days as he's much younger.

Sorry for the little rant, and, totally off topic. Who cares. I'm going to bed.

Have tried beers with this but never used it myself. I've been having a read and opinions seem to be varied with this.

Some say:
17'= bubblegum
18'= cloves
24'= no banana
22' bubblegum and banana.

Does any one have anything else to add to this? I pitched a couple of hours ago and have it sitting at 20'. I love the bubblegum in a hefe, though it's elusive for me.

Waddya's reckon?

Cheers.

Brewed and bottled a wezien my last batch with WB-06.
Started at 18c and rampred temp up 0.5c each day.

Fermenting fridge full of bubblegum smell, finished brew smells of bubblegum, waiting on it to carb to try it out,

but no sign of cloves or banana in taste of sample taken on bottling. I hope the bubblegum flavour comes through.

Had a weihenstephaner krystal recently and it was chock of bubblegum, yum. Incidently bottle was 2 months O.O.D. so much for best fresh.

No big krausen. It's also more of a belgian wit yeast than a german hefe.

I like it though. Lots of cloves. Just don't expect banana. WB06 will be more like 380 than 300.

That depends how long you mash in the 40's for to make the yeast produce the 4 vinal guiacole and your ferment temp really. I was really surprised by this yeast I recommend trying it.

Have tried beers with this but never used it myself. I've been having a read and opinions seem to be varied with this.

Some say:
17'= bubblegum
18'= cloves
24'= no banana
22' bubblegum and banana.

Does any one have anything else to add to this? I pitched a couple of hours ago and have it sitting at 20'. I love the bubblegum in a hefe, though it's elusive for me.

Waddya's reckon?

Cheers.
Going by most other yeasts you would think the cooler the more smooth the esters will be. Mash at 47 for 15 and see how much clove comes through with a ferment temp at 17 degrees. Might give that a go in my up coming dunkel weizen.

Going by most other yeasts you would think the cooler the more smooth the esters will be. Mash at 47 for 15 and see how much clove comes through with a ferment temp at 17 degrees. Might give that a go in my up coming dunkel weizen.

I did a single infusion at 66, so that's not going to play a part with this one. Ok, so you guys are thinking 17-18' for the juicy fruit?

Cheers.

Back