I Had An Idea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbocore

Reaction score
Hi All,

I would like to make a Belgian chocolate stout. The name alone sounds tasty enough i reckon.

What i was thinking is perhaps something simililar in grain bills to a youngs double chocolate stout, with neutral bitternes, probably from NBrewer, prob flavour/aroma from perle (cause i have a bunch of it and its quite versatile) and a Belgian yeast.

Now i need help with a grain bill and a yeats choice, what yeast do the knowladgeble reckon will favour the malt and grain aspects?

Thoughts?

Cheers
Gibbo

I just happen to be making a Chocolate Porter as we speak!

The recipe I am using is as follows;

4.5 kg Powell's ale malt
0.25 Crystal 120L
0.2 Carafa II
0.1 Chocolate malt
0.05 Caraaroma

15 g Northern Brewer @ 6.6% a/a 60 mins.
15g Hallertau @ 3.7% a/a 45 mins
25g EK Goldings @ 5.1% 15 mins

1 tsp salt mash

Danstar Nottingham British ale yeast

Protein rest at 55 deg 15 minutes
Mash at 67 deg 60 minutes
Mash out at 77 deg 20 minutes
Boil 90 minutes

Hope this helps.

I don't have a recipe suggestion, but I'm very eager to hear how it turns out as I've also thought about making a stout with a Belgian yeast. I think it would turn out quite nice. I recently made a weizen-stout hybrid using wyeast 3068, approx 50% malted wheat, and about 4% roasted barley. While it was okay, it was not great. A friend thought it was the best tasting dunkelweizen he had ever tasted, but I don't agree. I actually tipped it out.

For that extra belgian'y taste, add 250g dark candii sugar.
Im keen to hear the results.
SOunds like a quirky brew to me.

Im drinking a chocolate belgian at the moment.
Choc grains, ardenes yeast, and 250g dark chocolate :) 12% alkeyhole :wub:

I once made a belgian stout with T-58. Tossed it as it tasted really bad. Later, I made a different beer with T-58 and it had the same foul taste. I was going to chuck it, but got distracted for a couple weeks and retasted the beer just in case. It turned out to be quite good. However, I still wouldn't recommend T-58 as a "Belgian" yeast. Look at one of the Abbey Ale yeasts. Something with fruity esters and minimal phenols. 1218 or WLP500 or even 550.

I've got a Belgian Chocolate Stout in the fridge to try. Comes from Redoak.

I once made a belgian stout with T-58. Tossed it as it tasted really bad. Later, I made a different beer with T-58 and it had the same foul taste. I was going to chuck it, but got distracted for a couple weeks and retasted the beer just in case. It turned out to be quite good. However, I still wouldn't recommend T-58 as a "Belgian" yeast. Look at one of the Abbey Ale yeasts. Something with fruity esters and minimal phenols. 1218 or WLP500 or even 550.

That's an okay beer. A little thin, though. Nice chocolate aroma, but not really worth the hefty price.

Here's a recipe from capretta - I sampled some at an IBU event - it was most tasty

Hope you don't mind me posting this Cam...

Cheers

==============
here is that belgian chocolate recipe that people seemed to like..
4kg pils
485g vienna 10ebc
130g chocolate malt 900ebc
1kg dextrose (coopers brew enhancer 1)
1.5 kg coopers light malt extract
120g yellow mallee honey
125g wheat flour mixed with mash water 65 degrees
2g green bullet 60 mins
60g tettenager cones (homegrown) 60 mins
on a starter of white labs Abbey Ale yeast at 28 degrees- falling to 24 for 5 weeks
probably made about 25l by memory
OG 1086
FG 1020
==============

i second not using t-58, not a fan.

anyhoo, my suggestion try getting in

150-200gram of choc malt
100-150gram of black malt

depends on the batch size but i made a chocolate porter, also used a bit of oatmeal. but yeah, its a pretty dark brown. maybe up an extra 50grams of either if you want it really dark.

Back