I Feel Some Sake Action Coming On!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those characters just come up on my screen as a series of vertical lines.

I'm really just posting that as a way of saying I enjoy what you bring to non-beer brewing. I'm a long way behind you but I'm interested in beer, cider, perry, wine, mead, gruit and this (and variations).

I'm glad you like the posts. Now in back in Oz I want to make sure all my fellow AHBs get the brewing bug to expand beyond their current ideas and make the hobby more expanded and enjoyable. As long as some consider the possibility of trying something new I'm happy to have shared notes from the pathway I'm taking.

On a more serious Sake note, Im expecting s good 3-4 days to complete sporulation so time will tell how it goes.

I've monitored the weather noticing a 50% overnight humidity and burning off to around 18% as the day progresses. I've also been scouring Japanese scientific papers looking for any hints along the way.

Temperature reading 35.3 C at 87H

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

OH YEAH BABY!!!

SUPER MOULDY - SUPER SPORE LADEN RICE!

TANE-KOJI is now made and complete. Now to dry out the rice (important step) as we don't want the rice to rot. Instead we want nice dry rice with no moisture so that we can put a good scoop of mouldy rice into a salt shaker, preferably like those larger tin ones at the fish and chippy! (too bad I cannot find a photo of one, but you know the type)

Then from now on every time you want to make Mouldy Rice for Sake Brewing, you just steam rice, cool and *SHAKE* *SHAKE* your mould starter shaker all over the top of the rice ala Bob Taylor style.

Imagine instead of this:
salt-shaker-istock-769080.jpg

That you are shaking out spores on your new batch of steamed rice!

In Heaven :wub:

So long as the holes are small enough to not let the dried rice fall through but still let the tiny spore go through any container will do. Even if you drill the holes in the lid of a tin yourself.

Without further delay, the photos of the mouldy rice covered in spores!

Super Spore Laden Rice Photo#1 at 92H:

KOJI_SUPER_MOULD_1.jpg
Now to do some serious SAKE BREWING OVER CHRISSY HOLIDAYS! :party:

Super Spore Laden Rice Photo#2 at 92H (No Flash):

EDIT: The aroma at this point opening the incubator is an in the face, full on sweet smell :)
KOJI_SUPER_MOULD_2.jpg

Reposting my Koji-Kin post for identification of which strain of Koji we are dealing with!

Shochu is Japans distilled product, so we are more interest in nihon-shu or Sake! the brewed product. Because they both use the same Kojikin on the rice as the first step to making either, its time to get down with our friendly rice mold and learn a little about it.

Kojikin (aspergillus oryzae) is the mold used in shochu and nihon-shu production to break down the starches in steamed rice or sweet potatoes into fermentable sugars so that the yeast can then begin their job of converting the sugar into alcohol. Koji-kin is very, very important in producing or affecting the taste of the final shochu or nihon-shu product.

There are three kinds of koji-kin (mold) for making shochu. They are kuro (black) koji mold; Ki (yellow) koji mold; and shiro (white) koji mold. Each koji mold has a different function to give variation to the final product.

koji.gif

Shiro koji-kin (White)

post_10346_1240384805.jpg
Shiro koji mold was found in a mutation of kuro koji mold. This koji mold quickly converts starch into sugar since its enzyme power is very impressive. Shochu made with shiro koji mold can taste plump, sweet, mild or sharp.

Kuro koji-kin i (Black)

post_10346_1240384851.jpg
Kuro koji mold is very strong and is used to aid decomposition. It makes Shochu taste slightly sweet, rich and strong. Awamori (Thai rice) is usually used with kuro koji mold. Imo (sweet potato) shochu is often made with kuro koji since it produces a very impressive aroma. Any brewing facility or person who works where shochu is made with kuro koji mold will often be covered in black dust.

Ki koji-kin (Yellow)

post_10346_1240384892.jpg
Ki koji mold is very sensitive, and its temperature is very difficult to control. The taste of shochu made with ki-koji is very fruity, light, and smooth.

Now Koji is also used in making Miso paste for Japanese foods. What is sold as koji-kin is not identified from the LHBSs locally or overseas as to which origin their koji-kin comes from. Those that have point back to a company known as a Miso producer. The interchangeability of these strains might be in question to the quality of the end product, the same with all the different strains of Ale yeast.

We have Ki Koji (Yellow-Green Spores). This is what was expected due to what is already known about the strain of Koji I bought. This is the only colour you should be expecting of the spores. Another identification trait that will tell you if you have real Koji is that this colour will slowly fade over time while being stored and lose its original bright yellow-green colour.

Hope you guys enjoyed this. Next up will be Sake making after I dry these out and use this spore laden rice to inoculate rice in the 10kilo bag of Sun Japanese style Sushi Rice I bought at the local asian store (short grain white rice).

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I've been mulling over some traditional Sake making knowledge and just posting a few thoughts.

1. First and foremost, Sake is water, almost 80% of Sake is water. The quality of the water you use will have a large impact on the final quality of your Sake. Sake is high ABV% up to 18% or more. In the first batch(es) of Sake I will just use what I have available (soft local water) until I can get more information.

2. Sake is watered down. Not all Sake, but a lot of Sake which ends up at 18% or higher ABV after fermentation is complete is watered down to bring the ABV% down near 15%, this also gives the impression of smoothing out the Sake.

3. Sake is 18% ABV. At high ABVs like this fermentation temperature is critical to achieve smooth finish alcohol levels and minimise any harsh fusels or higher order alcohols. Its closer to making Lager at temperatures around 10C than Ales at 18C+.

4. Rice impacts flavour. This opens up a whole avenue to us as brewers in rice selection and amount of polishing to adjust the flavour of the Sake. However, until we build our own Rice polishing machines from odds and sods laying around our sheds we won't have much control over that in Australia for a while. Rice type we are going to have to experiment with. Old Sake uses brown rice, this is normally a problem but as Brown Rice Miso makers found out, scratching the outer coating of the husk/bran layers lets enough gap for Koji mould to grow its filamentous mycelium strands in to do its magic. If we want to go for more modern Sake brewing styles then short grain white rice is called for. We have Sun rice Japanese Sushi Rice and I think that is about it for selection, there is imported rice from America and if you can find it, Japan but these are pricey options that need to eventually be replaced with acceptable alternatives to keep the costs down.

5. Table Rice is not Sake Rice. Sake Rice is milled, or rolled around and around letting the kernels grind off their outer layers. Special rices like Yamada Nishiki grows such that the starch is more concentrated in the centre and the fats and brans on the outside. This fits perfectly with milling where you can grind off the outer layers down to the pure starch centre of the grain. That said older rustic or more traditional Sake has unique grainy flavours from not milling it. Again as brewers room for interpretation and experimentation. For now I'm going to have to experiment with 90% Sun brand Japanese style Sushi Rice (10% milled) as that is all I have available. As you can see from the picture below the resulting Sake will have a natural yellow tinge to it as well as a taste with grain background flavours. But I'm wasting less of each grain and keeping the cost down which is important in the early stages of experimentation and sorting out ones brewing techniques for Sake.

SAKE_RICE_MILLING.jpg

6. Japanese Sake Brewers read AHB. I knew it, here we see they have the typical Aussie penchant for stainless steel bling and you can also plainly see they have been reading the Brew In A Bag method thread. In Japanese fusion fashion they have melded the BIAB bag with stainless steel bling and have come up with a rice washing vessel par excellence. If they get a hole in one I'm sure they just ring up Gryphon and get a new one sewn up and sent out in the same days post.

WASH_RICE.jpg

7. Rice needs to be washed. Washed and rinsed again and again until the water runs clear. This will have to be addressed with our needs for not wasting water and water restrictions. Somehow we must come up with a secondary use for all this rice starch laden water sitting around after the process of cleaning is done and steaming begins.

8. Rice needs steaming. It also needs a moisture content of around 33% before chucking it in the steamer. You can be low tech and watch water absorption or a bit higher tech and weight out how much water you add and then weigh the residual left over water. That or just bung it in the fridge for a soak overnight. Take your pick. We don't have monster steamers covered with metres of muslin cloth as below so we go to the local Asian market and get a bunch of bamboo steamers and stack them together and then go to Spotless and get ourselves a metre or so of muslin to line the bottom of the steamers and wrap the wet rice after it is added to each bamboo steamer. You need low moisture steamed rice so that you think its too dry when it comes out because if you do rice in a pot of boiling water or rice cooker you can end up with too much moisture such that you end up with a pile of liquid goo after adding spores to your rice.

Steamer_Rice.jpg

9. Rice needs to be cool before inoculating with Kojikin. Granted the idea of a metal salt shaker adds an additional bling element to ones brewery but as you can see you can go old school like this lad who looks like he is reusing an old hop sack perhaps and just shake shakes ... shakes his baggy all over the place. So long as you don't put one of your used socks to use as a bag then I don't see any issues keeping a mono culture of pure koji mould growing on your rice instead of a collection of things growing in your socks. Rice needs to be cooler than skin temperature or between 32 to 38C if you feel like putting your TempMate probe right into the rice for a measure before inoculation with spores.

Shake.jpg

10. Japanese brewers read AHB. I mean, come on, you can clearly see how our many brewery automation projects have infected the Japanese brewer, below is probably the windshield wiper motor off an old Japanese farm combine. It screams AHB. Stirring is an important part of making traditional Sake, whether it be by hand with poles or sticks or done by more automated means such as this motor. The main mash, or moromi, is combining the koji, rice, water, and Sake Yeast together and letting the conglomeration mature and brew over time. Commercial hoses pump out Sake in 18 days but a craft brewer can take up to 32 to make a very nice Sake with qualities he desires.

Stirring.jpg

11. If you like squeezing your BIAB then get ready for Sake! Once you are done brewing you need to remove the rice solids from your brew. Traditional methods involve pressing the bag -- I can already see an AHB adaption of the jack from the boot of the car to provide the squeeze. For the lazy AHB'er there is always the rare drip drip drip method used in 1/2 % of Sake made in Japan, Junmai Daiginjo grade, which ensures that the delicate, refined, ethereal character of the sake is preserved and also preserves peace in the neighbourhood from grunting and groaning home brewers squeezing their Sake bags.

Drippings.jpg

12. When done squeezing you have all the left over solids, a kind of yeasty mouldy rice cheese known as kasu. Don't throw it out, there are plenty of recipes you can use with it and if you freeze it you have 6 months to find out what they are. Otherwise its high quality food product and give it to your chooks or livestock if you feel weak in the knees eating it yourself. This is the equivalent of the spent grains from making beer.

13. Pasteurisation. You don't have to, not doing so makes one grade of Sake and doing it another. You loose aroma and flavour qualities but gain shelf life. Its up to you. Another chance to experiment as a home brewer. It is done in the bottle where you raise the temperatures up to 60C and then cool them down rapidly.

14. Ageing. Different ages make different grades. Time mellows the alcohols produced during fermentation and can change the character of your Sake.

Thats the basic process in an overview. Now once I have my mould dried (it would decide to rain all day after all those sweltering days giving 90% humidity where before it was 18% *just* when I wanted to switch to drying out my mouldy rice as quick as possible to make mould shakers :)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I found my mould shaker!

Well bit more than I wanted to spend and initially I was not going to buy one because of the large holes, but then I spotted this screen topped variation and decided I had to have it!

Essentials_1.jpg
Woolworths Essentials Shaker, bamboo mat extra.

The Woolies shaker will let me put a scoop of dried mould spore rice in it and then the plastic cap will allow me to seal it until needed. If the rice is not properly dried and the plastic cap makes the rice rot then just remove the cap and let the low humidity air keep the mouldy spore rice dry inside.

Essentials_2.jpg
Removable plastic cap and fine mesh screen top.

Now the all day rain of the past two days has let up, humidity hit an all time high of 94% yesterday. Lets see if we can burn some of that off and get this mouldy rice dry or else I will have to resort to using the kitchen oven.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Quick Update... Its raining again tonight.

The temperature to dry out your Koji is 45 degrees C (113 F).

From traditional Japanese sources to store koji rice you spread thin layers of koji rice on sheets of newspaper and allow to dry for 10 to 20 hours in a clean and warm location in your house. Then sealed and stored in a cool, dry place you can store it up to a month or two in good condition, or up to 6 months with loss in flavour and potency of enzymes.

For long-term storage, spread the koji rice (can be salted if you wish) on a clean sheet in sunlight or place in baking tins and in then in an oven at 45 degrees C (113 F) until it is thoroughly dried. Seal and store in a cool and dry place for up to one year.

If your oven does not go down to 45 C then you could set the incubator to 45 C and leave the lid slightly cracked open to let moisture escape. I think I will be doing this as it just started raining again tonight and I don't see moisture leaving the house any time soon!

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

After a day at 45C the rice cake has shrunk both in hight and width as it has pulled away from the edge of the cake container about 1.5cm all around the edges.

Using a kitchen butter knife I cut the rice into brownie bars sized chunks. It was thick and chewy like a moist brownie so the inside has plenty to dry out.

The bottom is completely covered in white mycelium, the top covered in spores and the middle is a brown colour possibly form the enzymes.

I then cut the brownie bars into smaller chunks to quicken the drying out process.

If I had to do this again I would build a two-tier wooden shelf system and then take two plastic cake containers and spread the rice very thin agains both of them along all edges. Or perhaps break the mouldy rice down into lots of small popcorn or smaller chunks and mound them up. Why? To give more surface area for mould spores to develop on.

Cutting them I had puffs of spores given off which is a good sign. This mould is GRAS rated (Generally Recognised as Safe) worldwide as its has multiple thousands of years of use for mankind with no ill effects ever recorded -- so I was not worried about spores.

I just am thinking about how to maximise the spore production in future but there is plenty here to do a hell of a lot of mouldy rice! I would estimate maybe 30-40 kilos or rice which is double in volume when steamed so thats a hell of a lot of rice!

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Day 2 in the incubator at 45C and I am noticing the light is coming on much more often than on the first day. Taking that as a sign the moisture in the rice is going away and not enough mass to store the heat energy.

I opened the cracked lid all the way for a look and sure enough the rice mass has shrunk. And boy has it ever shrunk!

I'm still not as happy as I could be with the chunks I cut earlier. Yes they have shrunk but I think I'd prefer more individual grains instead of cubes for the second spore farming attempt.

It's a lot more fiddly up front but should eliminate the cutting fiddly bit at the end of the first attempt so could balance out in the end. This is how I envisage my second go at making spores:

All steps the same as attempt one until last mix of the rice at day two. Then instead of leaving the rice in the cake container I will spread it out one grain level thickness on non absorbant wax paper or those velum a4 plastic sheets used in binding stationary. I like the velum idea because I can buy a plastic a4 stacked drawer system in back to school sales. I just need to cut the sides open to let the humidity to equalise. This gives me 4 stacked drawers I can turn into four stacked trays in the incubator and for a4 velums can hold the mouldy rice and increase the total exposed surface area and give even more spores!

Sorry for not jumping right into the Sake making but I consider this a critical step and skill as in my waiting time Ive been learning a whole lot about rice, barley and soybean fermentations involving this very same mould! I've learned traditional spore raising is on brown rice and involves wood ash but Ive not found any text explaining how they are used in a procedure. I've also learned that the byproductsvof this mould have amazing health benefits including radiation fallout resistance (pulls heavy metal compunds out of the body -- but we hopefuly won't need to put that to the test anytime soon but it's been tested in japan at ground zero during WWII)

With all this new found knowlege Ill have to do a series on making your own miso fermentations next :)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

This thread is a wealth of information and should be archived into something so it doesn't get lost.

It will be some time before I try my hand at this (have to try sulphite free grape wine, naturally fermented breton style cider, mead and sour fruit beer first) but I'd like to be able to come back to it as it reads as an informative resource.

I'm not sure - but I seem to recall reading somewhere that in going all the way to the koji kin stage... stirring is important so that the mass of rice remains "loose" and dries properly. Ergo the shallow boxes traditionally used?? Kind of like turning the grains during germination when you are malting. Evens out the temps, re-distributes the surface area available for mold to grow on, evens out access to or lack of oxygen and convection..

But - I only "seem" to recall that, cant find the reference dammit.

TB

This thread is a wealth of information and should be archived into something so it doesn't get lost.

It will be some time before I try my hand at this (have to try sulphite free grape wine, naturally fermented breton style cider, mead and sour fruit beer first) but I'd like to be able to come back to it as it reads as an informative resource.

I am sure this thread will be around so long as people have interest in the subject of Sake making and Mouldy Rice making as the pre-requisite step to brewing Sake.

I thought this was a small tidbit to chew on, try something different, but a whole world has opened up and I bit small but ended up biting on the whole hog. The amount of variations in Sake and Miso might match or beat all variations in Beer and Wine brewing combined. Its a very engrossing world if you dig deeper into the history and hows and whys of how it all came about.

Another good health benefit is nicotine. The enzymes in fermented koji-rice + beans + salt mixes (miso) will break down nicotine rapidly and are considered better than an apple-a-day for keeping you healthy in a world of air pollution, so it does more than just pull radioactive heavy metals from the body. There is a long part on the alkalinisation of the body and health versus the acidification of the body and loss of health (sugar, coffee, tea, stimulants like these even alcohol acidify the body). A cup of miso soup each day is promoted for coffee drinkers trying to kick the habit as well as for smokers for health benefits. After a month or so you are said to feel your body get stronger.

Too bad all we can find at the local markets is dried miso powder in ready made soup packets. Overseas I had access to fresh packets of the paste which is better but then I learned a lot of them are sterilised to kill the bacteria and koji mould so that they can sit on the shelf longer before puffing up from CO2 gassing like with beer. Looks like making your own is the only way to get live culture and the benefits living bacteria and mould provide until living miso is available locally. Mind you the fresh paste isn't half bad, full of enzymes and amino acids forming complete protein mix for the body just has the bacteria and mould killed off. And that includes reduction in stomach and intestinal cancers.

Another interesting tidbit was a Chinese Buddhist Monk brought both sugar and koji-kin spores and the mouldy rice to Japan from China around 753 A.D. The Japanese kept the koji-kin spores and mouldy rice and sugar was ignored and remained unheard of until around 1776 when the first refinery went up. Even then it was consumed at very low amounts until the Americans took over Japan after WWII and consumption rates jumped from 28 pounds per annum to 64 pounds. Still lower than American's consumption over 120+ pounds per year of sugar (14+ tablespoons per day of the stuff).

I'm not sure - but I seem to recall reading somewhere that in going all the way to the koji kin stage... stirring is important so that the mass of rice remains "loose" and dries properly. Ergo the shallow boxes traditionally used?? Kind of like turning the grains during germination when you are malting. Evens out the temps, re-distributes the surface area available for mold to grow on, evens out access to or lack of oxygen and convection..

But - I only "seem" to recall that, cant find the reference dammit.

TB

I've seen it too Thirsty,

This was the first round, more of a proof-of-concept. I'll put the photo in the post of beginning of Day #3 at drying temperatures and its noticeable how much its shrunk.

Very little, unfortunately, koji is done in bamboo boxes like you see in the photos and read. Its less than 0.5% of all Sake made. As with everything in the modern world everything is done forced incubation and fermentation by "MegaSwill" sake makers getting the time down as rapidly as mechanically/engineeringly possible and removing all the human labour in the production stages.

I've seen large steamers that dump the rice into long large metal tube containers like long 50 gallon drums and inside are large steel rods attached to a central shaft that rotates these metal fingers through the rice mass stirring it up as the enclosed metal tube heats up incubating the mould. No humans involved and no spreading thin. :(

For us home brewers we at least can choose how much automation or manual labour and traditional techniques we wish to apply. I'm sure some of the home brewers will move to the bling side and get their own tricked out rice polishers and mashing tuns and automation is soon to follow for the more technical electronics and computer types.

Even Miso has gone from 18+ month fermentations low and slow with the changing seasons to automated processing chucking the stuff out in 5 to 10 days (of course it has no shelf life, has more alcohols, and less enzyme action and amino acid breakdown) but its cheap, and consumers go for it enough that its a self sustaining industry. The traditional stuff can sit unrefrigerated for years on end as you slowly use it up from its tub its sat in fermenting away.

Only thing is sourcing tubs. Most materials are Cedar based for its hygienic nature but I've been eyeing those plastic 35Litre tubs at Bunnings with the fake rope handles that say for washing Veggies etc. Just have to be sure about the plastic if its going to have 18+ month food contact so I'd get the white ones instead of the coloured ones.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Picture of Koji-Rice at beginning of Day#3 of drying temperature levels. Next time I will try lots of very thin layers on multiple shelves inside the incubator to expose more surface area to promote even more spore production. Seen is three layers, mould spore layer, central layer brown from enzymatic digestion (how miso goes dark brown colours naturally - lots of readily digestible amino acids in there!) and a final bottom layer of mycelium mat. If I wanted I could just cut the top spore layer off and dry that making it easier. The other two layers are not of use for spore production but are of food production like with miso.
IMG_1855.JPG

Picture of Koji-Rice at beginning of Day#3 of drying temperature levels. Next time I will try lots of very thin layers on multiple shelves inside the incubator to expose more surface area to promote even more spore production. Seen is three layers, mould spore layer, central layer brown from enzymatic digestion (how miso goes dark brown colours naturally - lots of readily digestible amino acids in there!) and a final bottom layer of mycelium mat. If I wanted I could just cut the top spore layer off and dry that making it easier. The other two layers are not of use for spore production but are of food production like with miso.
View attachment 34252

I hereby dub thee - "Mr Mould"

Good stuff. Keep it coming.

Cheers
Dave

Cheers Dave :)

The mouldy rice has not shrunk any more. :blink:
It is completely rock hard to the touch! -- completely dried out! :icon_chickcheers:

So once you notice the light or heat source in the incubator coming on very often it won't take long at all until its dry.

I can not get over how dry it is, really, its like concrete! :p

The smell from the incubator upon opening the cracked lid is faint mycelium smell compared to the in-your-face blast of aroma when the moisture was being drawn out of the rice during the beginning of the drying session.

A few larger chunks of mouldy rice on top of a lot of single grain kernels at the bottom of the tin
IMG_1856.JPG

Lessons learned:

1. I spent no time at all with a pair of chopsticks filling up the ice cream container with chunks of dry mouldy rice. I will get a proper air-tight container next time as I can see the need to keep the moist outside air out if the rice is this dry to start with.

2. I spent forever with the tiny single grains stuck to the sides of the tub. About 60+ of them and my hands were getting a little cramped. I am sure I could have just used a spoon and scraped the container down in no time but for some reason chopsticks struck my fancy this time around.

But now I have my rice I noticed with a bit of wedging with a knife or the tips of chopsticks you can snap larger chunks into smaller chunks provided they are not too thick.

The final proof will be repeating the mouldy rice growth but this time with my own spores I have grown to see if the heat treatment levels are just right for not killing spores but drying out the rice as rapidly as possible.

Lid sealed on shaker and plastic cap on top to keep the environment dry inside until ready to shake the spores out on the next batch of rice
IMG_1858.JPG

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

EDIT: You can see a lot of spores left in the cake container. If I had a production line going I would put new cooled down steamed rice in there and stir it all in and shake some new spores on as well.

I have been soaking a new batch of rice to test my spores for viability and prove to myself that I can create an endless supply of Koji rice for brewing as well as new Koji spores for when I get low on my current batch of spore supplies.

In the mean time I have made this graph on my computer using some new software called OmniGraphSketcher.

This represents my current best understanding of the Commercial Koji Rice incubation steps (well before commercial breweries went full automation and mechanisation) and the different temperature ranges during the two-day ordeal of making a new batch of Koji rice for brewing Sake.

KOJI_INCUBATION_GRAPH_PNG.png

A large batch of rice is incubated when below 45 C and then thoroughly mixed and wrapped up into a cloth crib so that it looks like a gigantic wrapped burrito. After the Koji mycelium grows and starts generating its own heat the mass slowly heats up. Once it gets into the ideal growth temperature range (pink colour zone) then it is broken open and stirred and then placed into trays in thin layers. These bamboo trays are then placed into the Incubation Room. As the temperature rises, the trays get stirred twice after which they are left alone until the end of two days when the trays are removed from the Incubation Room and the Koji rice is now complete and ready to be immediately used in brewing Sake or refrigerated until enough Koji is created to start the brewing.

Of course with my method we are down-sizing the making of the rice and just using a temperature controlled (automation) incubator as we are not dealing with large mass of rice that needs to be managed before it gets out of control, thermally speaking.

I won't repeat the rice washing, rice steaming, and inoculation and incubation steps for this second test batch. Just hopefully will be able to post a success story, or not, in a few days.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

No need to wait! I'm too excited.

Well I took the mouldy rice with spores on it and placed it in the metal shaker can as show above. I then made a new batch of rice and then spore inoculation time!

I thought I might have difficulty breaking up the rice chunks in the shaker. So I left the plastic lid on and shook the buggary out of the shaker. I had nothing to fear. Instantly I had a total complete layer of spore power clogging up the gap between the plastic lid and the metal screen on the shaker lid. I had spore overkill! :beer:

I put the shaker over the rice and took the plastic cap off and a huge mass of concentrated 100% spore powder just fell onto the rice in one big clump :huh: So much for being neat! :D

I then shook a little around the edges just to see how well the shaker works and it works bloody brilliant!
SelfMadeMould2.jpg

I then used my just washed hands and stirred the rice all around and then in my hands rubbed it back and forth letting it fall into the cake container. Mixed rice in no time at all. Once again it felt so dry I feared I had not enough water in it but I stuck to my plan as the first batched worked out so well when I thought it was too dry as well.

Into the incubator and by today before I went out to a picnic by the lake I saw the incubator TempMate read 34 C, and I had it set to 32C so its alive and generating heat! I opened the box and gave the rice another freshly washed hand rub down treatment. The rice had changed look to powder coated from far away and ropey mould mycelium all over from up close inspection. :)

Rice / Price Score!

I also scored big on the rice front. I found the oldest asian store in The Capital and the lady there told me about a special rice from China. Grown in the North East of the country it is *THE* top-quality rice in all of China. And best of all she sold it to me for $50 for a 25 kilo sack. That brings the cost down to $2/kilo for the best rice in China. You can make rice to eat, rice for Sushi making, rice for making Sake and Mouldy Rice, and rice for making Chinese Rice Wine, just about everything from this one type of rice. The lady said if you can only get one rice, get this because it is such good quality you can use it for everything.

Japonica rice is round grain corn and not the long slender ones. This makes superior tasting Sake so I am including a photo of the bag with both Chinese and English showing importer for Australia in case anyone wants to get any themselves. It is marked Medium grain but its Japonica, slightly larger than the domestic Sun Rice brand Sushi Style Rice which costs $3 per kilo in bulk but only available in 10kilo bag from Asian stores.
ChineseJaponicaRice.jpg

Spore Making Tower of Power!

Ok being a brewer I can not help think up new ways to use other everyday items for brewing. I needed a large surface area, something that would not rot, and something that would have breathing capability to let humidity travel inside when I have a humidity incubator but also let humidity outside when I want a drying incubator.

And here it is. One slightly modified Reject Shop A4 Plastic Stacked Filing system for back-to-school kids. The sides have holes drilled allowing moisture in and out while still allowing moisture to flow out when its drying time.

MouldTrays1.jpg
Look at that sexy thing!

MouldTrays2.jpg
I got a rhythm down to my hole spacing after the top shelf which was my test shelf for drilling. I found that it works best with a wooden backing board to help keep pressure uniform for no cracking.
MouldTrays3.jpg

All four trays spread with a thin layer of mouldy rice and they are stacked in the holder and then the whole unit goes in my incubator. I am going to have enough spores to inoculate the Eastern half of Australia at this rate! It will be a Sake overload piss up like you have never seen.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I am going to have enough spores to inoculate the Eastern half of Australia at this rate! It will be a Sake overload piss up like you have never seen.

Had a read through my mag on the Sake making the other day, doesn't seem as difficult now as when I first started brewing :lol: If you find yourself running out of space for all those spores I'll be willing to take some off your hands.
I also await your method of brewing the Sake.

Had a read through my mag on the Sake making the other day, doesn't seem as difficult now as when I first started brewing :lol: If you find yourself running out of space for all those spores I'll be willing to take some off your hands.
I also await your method of brewing the Sake.

Superdave, if you want spores no worries, you're welcome to some. Not looking to start selling them just yet but if you want to trade it's ok or if nothing to trade then enough money to cover postage, parcel and vacuum sealer bag and I'll just post some as time permits to get to the lost office. If you slant yeasts or grow hops then those are items I'm a bit short on due to losses this year.

If anyone wants any just send a PM.

Sake is made in the cold months in Japan. Sake brewers were always farmers who left their families and went to the Sake Breweries to work for additional income during downtime in crop growing. Brewers worked 14 hour days 7 days a week. This is why today's Brewers of Sake are 60+ years old. Young people have so many other work options and when you can work 5 days 8 hours a day and have the weekend to do what you want who wants to become a Sake Brewer?

Today you see women Sake Brewers and even women Head Sake Brewers as the industry is desperate for anyone to work for them. They are even offering 5 days work and rotate workers to give 2 days off!

Therefore I won't be doing anything but lager style cold fermentation. Nothing too far removed from Bob Taylor whom I will make an updated koji temperature/growth phase graph above for use on his website.

I will add in temperature ranges promoting amaylase production versus protease production as Sake needs amylase and Miso needs more protease. So knowing how to dial in both will make you a better koji maker and target you end needs better.

This also means tracking down proper Japonica rice like either the 10 kilo Sun Rice brand Sushi Rice or that North Eastern China grown rice. Both are Japonica. You can not make decent Sake with the long grain in my photos but they are good enough for spore production.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Updated Graph

I've been working on modifying the koji incubation graph for use by Bob Taylor in his guide so we have both been putting our heads together and nutting out all the set points on the graph and looking up lots of research papers to determine if the initial peak in temperature was a lag from ambient room air temperature or the initiation of exothermic generation.

We've settled on lag and shifted the exothermic reaction further down where the label makes a lot more sense.

Final Koji Incubation Graph
KOJI_INCUBATION_GRAPH_FINAL.png

My second batch of rice is in the 4-tray system in the incubator as we speak and progressing. I've already removed the water and vented the residual humidity twice. Pushing the temperature down to 32 this time in the Protease range has produces a rice with no discernible sweetness in it so that range marking I put in seems spot on. For Sake you want to target the Amylase zones which I will do with future rice production.

The experiment option will be a pure Amylase incubation versus modelling the traditional old fashioned temperature curve through Protease and through the entire Amylase range before removing the rice and brewing with it.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Second Batch of Spores Done

The second batch of spores is done and the incubator is now at 45C in drying out mode.

This is the first time the tray system was used and it was both an overwhelming success and also not :D

What do I mean by that?

The tray system takes up all the free space inside the incubator while allowing the light bulb heat source to be at the far end. This places the edge of the tray system right up against the light bulb. The section of the trays right next to the light bulb had the rice dry out more than the 28-33% moisture content and so the mould stopped growing.

However the pattern shows this mostly with the top most tray. As you go down the trays you notice less and less dry spots until you get to the bottom tray which is absolutely covered in spore laden rice.

Lessons Learned:

1. Close proximity of rice to light bulb heat source will dry out the rice.
  2. For the first time and insulation method will be needed in between the light globe and the edge of the tray or the light globe as heater will have to be replaced with an alternative heating source.
  3. This method works better than a single large container for keeping kernels of rice separate.
  4. I placed the temperature probe inside the tray hole on the side near the back. Instead I should try at least once placing the temperature probe in the top tray first hole on the side right next to the light bulb. This should prevent the light side over-heating while waiting for the lag of temperature to make it to the back of the tray.
  5. Alternatively I could block up the first three holes or so on each side of the tray near the light globe trapping the moisture inside and only allowing venting out the rear of the trays away from the light globe.

TOP-TRAY PHOTO - 2/3rds of rice dried out, 1/3rd heavy spores

TOP_TRAY.jpg

MIDDLE-TRAY - 1/3rd of rice dried out, 2/3rds heavy spores

MIDDLE_TRAY.jpg

BOTTOM-TRAY PHOTO - 1/8th of rice dried out, 7/8ths heavy spores
BOTTOM_TRAY.jpg

Looking Forward

Sake is directly influenced in its final quality by everything used in making it. The first step, making this koji influences greatly the final taste and aroma and quality of the final brew. This step needs to be tested as above and adjusted to ensure consistent quality results. Because I am not making spores when making real Sake I will not use this tray system which will eliminated the dry patch issue. Because I am not making spores I also will not be using this long grain rice. The long grains were used as it was less expensive to use as a grow medium for spore production than Japanese short grain japonica rice.

Now that I am thinking of making Sake I will take into consideration professional Sake brewers who vary their koji making temperatures and times with up to 55 hours being used to make koji destined for use in the top grade of Sakes with times over 40 hours used for every-day grade Sake.

I will also look at ratios of koji to plain steamed rice - 20% to 80% and even experiment with 100% koji and 0% steamed and other set points of ratios in between just to learn first hand how adjusting just the ratios effects the resulting brew.

If you are reading this and looking forward to giving it a try I will tell you a bit about water quality for making Sake.

Water quality maters a lot when making Sake, after all you have over 80% of it in the final brew which you directly drink and you have immensely more of it used in all processes of the brewing from washing the rice to steaming that can impart flavours into the rice. It is best to get the water right. Sake breweries are built next to sources of good water because its more economical than treating your water when you brew at commercial volumes.

Japan has moderately soft water in general but as most countries has other mixtures of water hardness. If you are near water source as in mountains with melting snow pack you have access to good water, softer than most bore water. If you have a well and are near a mountain then you are better off than if you have a well and are in the middle of say NSW Tablelands where you can have harder water.

Iron is completely out. You don't want any of it in your water if making Sake. If you have some in your water don't use it. Get any iron in your Sake brew and you will get off colours and flavours as iron has an affinity to attach to amino acid produced during Sake fermentation/mashing (its combined with Sake, quite different than how beer is made) as well as reacting with the residual sugars. Iron increases the speed at which Sake will deteriorate.

Manganese is also bad to have in your water. Just like hops exposed to sunlight skunks beer, Sake with Manganese in it when exposed to sunlight will ruin Sakes colour and luster in an hour or so.

What is good? Things promoting yeast health and yeast fermentation. Potassium, Magnesium and Phosphoric Acid are good to have in your Sake brew. If not available in amounts required by yeast the reproduction of yeast cells will decline, and the timing of your long 18-32 day Sake brewing will be thrown out of whack and you will have lost control of your fermentation.

Potassium in the rice itself can be lost as you wash it as it is soluble in water. Phosphoric acid is in the fat and protein molecules and need to be released by our koji mould digesting it before it is readily available to contribute in the fermentation/mash process.

If you are a water manipulation nutter from beer brewing you will love slaving over your water quality when making Sake. If you just want to make Sake to try it then if your water doesn't make your tea or coffee taste nasty then give it a go. Otherwise look for spring water at the supermarket or mix spring with distilled water depending on the hardness of the spring water.

With beer, lower pH and harder waters are beneficial.

With Sake, higher pH and softer waters are beneficial only because this is the style of water it developed with over all these years in Japan.

Thats enough to chew on for now.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Latest posts

Back