Tony's Kegorator Project.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh yes the risk of all the work and the busted arse old freezer packing it in in the first day.

Thems the breaks i guess.

I bought a busted arse fridge and freezer about 5 years back now for $80.... for both, and they are still going great. My brand new $1800 fridge gives me more problems with frosting up.

I could do all the work and it could last 6 months or 6 years. But i dont really care because half the fun is doing the work. Creating something, hanging out in my garage with the sterio going, having a beer and being creative.

and if it works out...... its all worth it. If it blows up in the first hour..... The next one will be a lot easier to build from lessons learnt.

You cant let a possible setback hold up progress or fun!

Now..... someone mentioned a pump for the glycol. Already have that sussed! Got this little rippa from evilbay for $60 delivered. Its a mag drive "cold liquids" pump. basicly a cold liquid march pump with about 50% more pumping capacity and 3/4 in and outlet.

Going to sit a cube on the hump, and plumb it in with some nice flexable silicone tube. Hooked up to a 7 day timer...... should be great.

cheers

font_pump__824_x_549_.jpg

m8 u got a link for that pump? this might seem stupid but do u just run a bucket of liquid in the chest freezer to cool the taps.

or could u just be super lazy and poor some liquid into the bottom of the chest freezer and pump i bottom of the chest freezer.

also why glchol or what ever its called why dont u use water and another additive eg car anti freeze?

or could u just be super lazy and poor some liquid into the bottom of the chest freezer and pump i bottom of the chest freezer.

What a mess!!!

also why glchol or what ever its called why dont u use water and another additive eg car anti freeze?

Glycol Comes in 2 forms , Food safe and Radiator safe,,, The stuff for your car is TOXIC...

Cheers

And i got the pump off ebay second hand. I looked into new ones and believe me...... they make march pumps look cheap!

And yes..... i plan to use a plastic jerry full of food grade glycol.

cheers

Tony what temp will you be running your chest freezer? Say it is running at 4 degrees Celsius would you need to use Glycol or would water be suffice? I thought that Glycol was used if pumping liquid at 0 or below. Is there a reason for this? If there is please let me know for my project. :)

Cheers Baldrick.

Tony what temp will you be running your chest freezer? Say it is running at 4 degrees Celsius would you need to use Glycol or would water be suffice? I thought that Glycol was used if pumping liquid at 0 or below. Is there a reason for this? If there is please let me know for my project. :)

Cheers Baldrick.

Baldrick,

are you building it with the font on the lid ?
if so, chilling isn't absolutely necessary for such a small run imho, my lucky seven andale can be chilled but i've found i don't need it, my 2 bobs.

cheers
Yard

Yardy,

Was going to use a fridge/freezer that I already have but after seeing the results from chest freezers I may go down that path. So many ways to set up beer on tap. I will still be doing some more research before jumping into anything. I have been researching for sometime now when I think about it <_< .

Will probably run it without the chilling first to see how it goes. The only thing im worried about is the fact that its a constant heat sink sucking the cold from the freezer.

But yeah..... idea was just to keep it cold to the taps. Glycol probably isnt needed. I think some on here use salt water.

cheers

Tony,

Being a constant heat sink has been a concern for me too but I like the idea of cold taps. I had a thought a while back if I was to go down this track of building an insulated box to fit over the taps when not in use. Could be built from light ply and Styrofoam. Any thoughts or has anyone done anything similar?

Baldrick.

m8 u got a link for that pump? this might seem stupid but do u just run a bucket of liquid in the chest freezer to cool the taps.

sure the car stuff might be toxic but u don't drink it, it should stay isolated from the beer.

but yea it juts looked like in his pic pump was in teh bottom of the freezer.
if its non freezing or even it is with another liquid why not just use a $20 pond pump if its only liquid?

Run the font pump on a cheap programmable timer.... Kick it off about an hour before you get home from work every weekday, and all day during the weekends?

Run the font pump on a cheap programmable timer.... Kick it off about an hour before you get home from work every weekday, and all day during the weekends?

I like a simple solution. This will go on my list of ideas for my bar :icon_cheers:

Baldrick.

Yeah agreed.

Have it start at 4:30pm on weekdays and turn off at 11:00pm

Run from midday to 2am weekends.

And have an over ride switch called 'holiday mode' where it runs 24/7 in case you're into hair of the dog

Latest posts

Back