I Am An Idiot At Extract Brewing.....idiot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark.farrell1

Reaction score
Did my first extract and realized after that i put the whole lot in the fermenter including the all the grain. Is my brew able to be saved, would it need to be filtered a million times to get the sediment out.

Just need some reassurance or soloution to fix my problem.

Thanks guys

Mark

As long as the grains were spec grains you should be able to rack it off to a sanitised fermentor. There is a process known as "cold steeping" which is mostly the same as what you have done. RDWHAHB!

Kevin, "cold steeped" liquid needs to be boiled.

If you're at all concerned about possible contamination, you could always strain it back into your kettle and bring to a boil. While it's getting up to temperature clean and sanitise your fermenter.

What was the process you used? How did you get grain into it in the first place?

Kevin, "cold steeped" liquid needs to be boiled.

If you're at all concerned about possible contamination, you could always strain it back into your kettle and bring to a boil. While it's getting up to temperature clean and sanitise your fermenter.

What was the process you used? How did you get grain into it in the first place?

I think i followed the instructions,

sat my grain in a collender in my steaming basket for 45min on boil, 1kg aussie pilsner
added 30g northan brew pellets 9.8%AA for 60mins
added 15g hallertau 4.5%AA for 15mins
added 10g hallettau 4.5%AA for 1 mins
dcl yeast safale s-04

added the above at the appropiate times but i also added all the grain into the boil, was i supposed to strain all the liquid out of this mix ? and add it to the morgans extra pale and dry lite extract.

If i rack it into a second fermenter it will clog up my tap with grain bits, could i siphon it out of the top and into the second fermenter ?

Pilsner is not a specialty grain and needs to be mashed. You may've added a lot of starches. Was the steaming basket immersed or sitting above, effectively steaming it?

Where did you get instructions from? You shouldn't be boiling ANY grains at all. You should've done a minimash with the grain, strained, washed the grains with some hot water (the sparge), bolied the resultant liquid along wiht your extract as you added the hops.

Will be interesting to see what happens with this one.

Pilsner is not a specialty grain and needs to be mashed. You may've added a lot of starches. Was the steaming basket immersed or sitting above, effectively steaming it?

Where did you get instructions from? You shouldn't be boiling ANY grains at all. You should've done a minimash with the grain, strained, washed the grains with some hot water (the sparge), bolied the resultant liquid along wiht your extract as you added the hops.

Will be interesting to see what happens with this one.

when i bought the grain from the LHBS it had been through a machine of some kind, sort of crushing it. the grain sat above the water steaming it. LHBS talked me through it at the shop but my notes must have let me down, and i probaly was'nt listning very well.

In a week i will siphone it into a secondary hopefully keeping out some of the grain. and am also wondering how this will go as it is my first extract. I think i have stuffed it but its been a laugh in the process. are there any direct instructions on how to extract step by step and broken down into basic termonology.

Cheers

mark

In a nutshell, add grain to cold water in pot, heat on stove until mash temp achieved (63-69C), maintain at that temp for 60 mins, heat to 75C, drain liquid.

Rinse grain with hot tap water.

Boil resultant liquid at least 15 minutes.

It'll be a bloody interesting brew.
Steamed Pilsen!
Can I ask what brew shop you went to...
G & G the AHB sponsor Have got all the steps written down!
And TLs description is good too.

Get one of those little foam eskies 5-9 litre for partial mashes.
A sock to steep speciality grains.
Alternatively add speciality grains late into mash 15 minutes prior to draining the grain with a colander.
Use curtain material inside colander to use as a filter.

:icon_cheers:

Back