I Am A Water Waster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks ,Everyone has been so helpful with ideas to reduce my water consumption.

Some made me feel more guilty than I was already feeling when I saw how much water I was using .

When I get home I will summarise the best ideas .

Pumpy :)

Being where I am there are no water restrictions ATM compared with Brizzy's level 5 (????). This does not prevent me from trying to do the right thing however & although I chill, all the water used chilling is then used for cleaning up afterwards & the remainder gets chucked on the pot plants.
I am lucky enough to have all my lawns & gardens watered by my bore & as I am the "Last Port of Call" so to speak before the water table leaches out into the blue Pacific I think that I can justify an increased electricity bill & the slight extra global warming it produces. :p
Have occasionally thought of running the chiller off the bore but as the pressure is much, much, more than mains pressure I really haven't worried about it too much. I know I need some kind of pressure reducer so has anyone got any ideas how I could do this CHEAPLY?

TP :beer:

1)Rinse the brewery out before I mash (20L)
2)Wash it down after I mash (20L)

If you have washed it down after using it why do you have to wash it down again before you use it again?

4) soak the fermenter in napisan after use (30L)
8)rinse the keg out (6 L)
9)soak the keg in napisan (20 L)
10)Rinse the keg and beer lines (10 L)
12) forgot cleaning with napisan two NoChill cubes (60 L)
13) rinsing No chill cubes (10L)

As others have pointed out, why are you filling the kegs, fermenters and cubes with napisan. You can clean any of these with a few litres, which will also reduce the amount needed to rinse. Why not use the water from one cube to then clean the next.

No reassuring words from me......you need to seriously look at the amount of water you're using (wasting).

Cheers
MAH

This surely must rate as a red rag to a bull post if Darren lays eyes on it.

I doubt it. Pumpy's water usage is much higher than mine just from looking at what he does, so you can't tar everyone with the same brush.
I use much less than that in cleaning and rinsing. Adjusting his figures I'd say I use around 120L for a 40L batch.

or do the cleaning of the gear in the shower ;)

:lol: geez guys, remember there's a limit to the amount of love you can show your brewery without looking weird.....:lol:
I can only imagine the look on the wife's face as she walks into the bathroom........ :unsure:

I can only imagine the look on the wife's face as she walks into the bathroom........ :unsure:

Or the look on your mate's face when he fishes a short-n-curly out of his teeth after setting down his beer. :eek: :p

I hope your equipment is well rinsed. Brewing equipment. ;)

I don't know if this next bit needs to be a new thread, Mods?

My latest water bill covering 181 days, Jan to Jul, was 147 kl.
3 adults in the house, and like Pumpy I take a bath every week whether I need it or not.
I probably brew 50l about every 3-4 weeks

How much have you used?

AHHH the luxuries of living on a farm......

What falls on the roof goes in the tank..... if we use to much we run out... simple as that.... you learn pretty quick how to not waste water. Luckily we have a big house which instead of being two stories is split into two buildings on one level... doubling the catchment area... so our tank is rarely empty (once every few years....haven't paid for water for maybe 3 years...maybe more)....and god damn doesn't is suck when it is... we have to BUY water... and TOWN water at that YUK....it even feels different.

ahh farming.... just love it.

Pok :p

Town water, ewwww. Never drink the muck, let alone brew with it. Haven't paid for water for 7 years. Buy another tank Pok.

No-one has yet mentioned malting, which probably uses 3-4 litres per kilo of grain.

Another great water saving device is a pressure washer.

Town water, ewwww. Never drink the muck, let alone brew with it. Haven't paid for water for 7 years. Buy another tank Pok.

No-one has yet mentioned malting, which probably uses 3-4 litres per kilo of grain.

Thats going too far POL !!!

I did not count 50 Litres of water flushing the toilet after drinking the 20 Litres of beer .

Pumpy ;)

SEVEN YEARS..... niiiiiicccccceeeee..... clearly it rains too much where you are :p ... O well... $70 every 3 or 4 years or more is pretty good for water :p

Very glad I dont have to worry about crappy town water in my beer :D

Pok

The problem with excess water charges is determining the size of the household. Obviously it's unfair to impose a set restriction on every house, as a family of six uses more than me and my fiance. But how do you work out how big a household is? What's a fair water use level? What's a fair price? Bloody hell, there's plenty of water on earth, it pisses down in some places and it's dry in others, surely we can sort out a solution that will allow us to maintain some sort of lifestyle (ie keep gardens, brew) without resorting to dobbing in neighbours or paying fines...

Maybe if the petroleum companies didn't wash their massive storage vessels out with drinking water? Or companies were required to provide half-flush toilets ONLY? The earth's surface is something like 70% water (albeit salty)....surely we're smart enough to dig ourselves out of this hole...?

/vent. :wacko: :angry:

The problem with excess water charges is determining the size of the household. Obviously it's unfair to impose a set restriction on every house, as a family of six uses more than me and my fiance. But how do you work out how big a household is? What's a fair water use level? What's a fair price? Bloody hell, there's plenty of water on earth, it pisses down in some places and it's dry in others, surely we can sort out a solution that will allow us to maintain some sort of lifestyle (ie keep gardens, brew) without resorting to dobbing in neighbours or paying fines...

Maybe if the petroleum companies didn't wash their massive storage vessels out with drinking water? Or companies were required to provide half-flush toilets ONLY? The earth's surface is something like 70% water (albeit salty)....surely we're smart enough to dig ourselves out of this hole...?

/vent. :wacko: :angry:

One word - "De-sal".

One word - "De-sal".

The only problem is that desal needs lots of energy. Which we get from burning dinosaur bones (coal), which releases all that Carbon back into the atmosphere, which warms the planet, which means more drought, which means less fresh water, which means failed barely and hop crops, which means importing more from far away, which means buring more oil, which means more Carbon back into the atmosphere, which warms the planet, which makes our beer fridges and airconditioners run more, which need lots of energy, which we get from burning coal, which releases Carbon back into the atmosphere, which warms the planet, which brings more drought, which makes our councils bring in water restrictions, which they advertise on paper made by using lots of water, which make pumpy feels guilty for using water, which makes him post this thread ... where were we again?

Pumpy,
did you count the 3l in the glass you drink when you brew?

Thats going too far POL !!!

I did not count 50 Litres of water flushing the toilet after drinking the 20 Litres of beer .

Pumpy ;)

:lol: You need to plant a lemon/lime/other citru tree. They love being, er, utilised for toilet flush savings.......

Now this just makes me cross.

top ten vic. water users

That makes it pretty obvious where the state should be focussing water reducing efforts for the biggest returns ..
shopping centres, jails and hospitals!

Back