Hyrdometer Reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZE-09Z

Reaction score
hi.......

i have one small question........

i have 2 days to go for fermention to complete but i would like to take a reading now. now what i would like to know is do you pull the airlock out of the top of the fermenter or just leave it in and use the tap to pour off a sample ???????

i dont want to open the lid just yet for ovious reasons but even if i take the airlock out and use the tap i will still be adding fresh air to the batch ??????

how do you guys take readings ???

thanks
Ernie

p.s. sorry i forgot to add this is my first brew and its a Ginger Beer Kit

I don't bother taking the airlock out, but I fill mine with no-rinse sanitiser so if a bit happens to get in the beer I doubt it'll be much of a problem. You can tkae the airlock out though, wont be an issue.

When I used an airlock I used to just loosen the lid a little to allow for the vacuum created by drawing off a sample from the tap.

well ive used the info from above and thanks again.

it seems like my brew is at 1015 at the moment and still tasting great for a bog stock GB brew ( unlike some of the great receipes here which ill be trying next for sure )

tastes great but i think it could do with a little more sugar for the next batch ( i used 500gms of Dextrose and 500 grms raw sugar which came with the kit )

im so rapt with the outlook so far and as far as to say im hanging to do the next brew.

thanks again

Ernie

Back