Hyperactive Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpr_88

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just pitched my second ever brew today in a brand new coopers micro brew kit. The temp once the yeat was added and the fermenter sealed was about 26C and then settled to about 21C. after about 3 hours my airlock is bubbling uncontrollably and foam is coming out the top. the water is bubbling out and emptying my airlock so i have to refill. My instincts would tell me this is good but i fear something has gone wrong. can anyone shed some light on whats going on and what i should do ( i am re filling my airlock everytime i check on the brew 2-3 times daily.) The foam is already filling my airlock and spilling all over the lid! I did a quick search to see if i could find anyone with the same problem but no dice. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

relax - all should be fine.

If you are concerned about the krausen (the frothy stuff) coming out and having to refill the air lock, you can just put some tubing from the lid straight into a half filled coke bottle of something similar. This will act as your airlock - and will also help with the krausen.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you fermenting well over 20 degrees.

I have found this very normal for a Coopers kit with kit yeast. Two things to do.
1. try to get the temp closer to 18 degrees C.
2. set up a blow of valve. a pic Here post no 76.

Or you could just keep cleaning it up an putting towls around it to0 contain it, it will settle down in a day.

Cheers
Gavo.

Hopefully not as bad as this fella.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Taste the krausen, go on I dare you!

Don't have 2 much though, and yes it wont hurt ya.

Then have a beer :)

Mick

Back