Hydrometer Reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonez

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just got one of those hydrometer sample jars, which is now saving me a bit of wort compared to the container I was using previously. Last night though I went to take the reading after 6 days in primary with an OG of 1.038. I was surprised to see the reading started at about 1.025 and raised until settled at about 1.034. After six days of steady activity I thought this could not be right. I noticed small bubbles in the sample from top to bottom, so I gave it a shake until most of them were gone. Took the reading again and it was 1.007. There seems to be still some activity in the fermenter so I am undecided about waiting a bit longer or racking now to apply finings. Any clues?

Give it another 24 hrs, then sample again, if around 1.007 again, you should be fine.

Give it another 24 hrs, then sample again, if around 1.007 again, you should be fine.

I see,
and is it normal the bubble retention when using a thin sampler?. I guess it is quite narrow and the bubbles got trapped under the hydrometer.

I see,
and is it normal the bubble retention when using a thin sampler?. I guess it is quite narrow and the bubbles got trapped under the hydrometer.

Yes it gets quite bubbly coming from the tap into the jar. Just leave to settle for about twenty minutes and give the hydrometer a few spins to clear the sticky bubbles.

Spin the hydrometer and trust the lower readings as they are the ones without the bubbles stuck to the hydrometer. As usual stable consecutive readings count.
The side of the hydrometer you want to read will naturally stop facing away from you, this is normal. :p

Cheers
Gavo.

The side of the hydrometer you want to read will naturally stop facing away from you, this is normal. :p

Thank goodness for that, I thought it was just mine that did that.

Thank goodness for that, I thought it was just mine that did that.

got 1.006 without bubbles tonight ( 48 H after), will be adding fining in a few minutes.. sample tastes promising!

I still got some bubbles coming out of there, but I am guessing it has got to do with the change in temp as I change ice blocks. Wort releasing some CO2 that had been absorbed earlier perhaps?? do I have the right idea?

got 1.006 without bubbles tonight ( 48 H after), will be adding fining in a few minutes.. sample tastes promising!

I still got some bubbles coming out of there, but I am guessing it has got to do with the change in temp as I change ice blocks. Wort releasing some CO2 that had been absorbed earlier perhaps?? do I have the right idea?

yes, you are learning fast - all looking good.

cheers Ross

yes, you are learning fast - all looking good.

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross.. I will probably leave this for a bit longer, I don't think I would like to get busy bottling in the next couple of days.

Am I the only one who has then read whatever other reading (mine has 3 or 4 different scales on it) and then removed the hydro and seen where it lined up???

Am I the only one who has then read whatever other reading (mine has 3 or 4 different scales on it) and then removed the hydro and seen where it lined up???

No Pollux you are not the only one. I have also tried turning the tube around only to watch the hydrometer stay still not turning. :angry:

Cheers
Gavo.

Pour a sample into your test tube. Use the end of a teaspoon to rattle the wort and degas the sample. Use the spoon bit to scoop the froth out. Then put your hydrometer in.

Usually, if you are having problems with the hydrometer rapidly rising, the brew is still actively fermenting.

You want the hydrometer reading to be stable for two and prefferabley three days before thinking of bottling. Most brews will be improved by an extra seven days in the fermenter once final sg has been reached.

Never pour the sample back into the fermenter. Drink it or tip it out.

No Pollux you are not the only one. I have also tried turning the tube around only to watch the hydrometer stay still not turning. :angry:

Cheers
Gavo.

interesting. My hydrometer always faces me.. I can always read it without problems...
hehe, I am kidding...I need to spin it a few times until I can really do that

I think my hydrometer is always fine, its just me thats in the wrong place :rolleyes:

I think my hydrometer is always fine, its just me thats in the wrong place :rolleyes:

I never thought of it that way.
This topic is so funny, I always thought it was just mine that couldn't face me.

Nat

mmmmm, maybe I am facing the wrong direction, I normally face northwest when doing readings as that way I am over the kitchen sink.....

Must make mental note to face south east next time.

So, based on what I've read here, does the hydrometer spin differently in the northern and southern hemisphers.

and my hydrometer always faces away from me, I'm not sure if it's shy or frightened :lol:

I have bought 2 hydrometers in my day...both of them have broken...

So I bought a refractometer - couldn't recommend it more! (well - only if you are doing AG).

When the fragilness (word?) and the hydrometer reading facing away from you becomes too much for you - always know that there is something better out there for you (which only really costs about 2-3 hydrometers)

Cheers
Phil

Latest posts

Back