hybrid blonde ale lemon recipe feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hey guys,

there's a recipe i've found that i liked the sound of, so i've tailored it to what i have lying around, and just wanted to get some feedback. any and all feedback very welcome. it has lemon rind in it so also wanted to get feedback on this as well from anyone who has used lemon zest and how to wash, in what quantities, and when to add it to boil blah blah. as noted below i plan to use 15gm @ 5 mins and pop them into a separate hop bag. i wanted the fruity cascade flavour to balance out and compliment the lemon tartness. i also have galaxy, hallertau, nelson sauvin and a wee bit of saaz if these would suit better.

i BIAB and no-chill.

Pink Triangle Blonde
Blonde Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 10.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.400
Total Hops (g): 26.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.01 %
Colour (SRM): 3.4 (EBC): 6.7
Bitterness (IBU): 25.6 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
2.200 kg Pilsner (91.67%)
0.200 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (8.33%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Cascade Pellet (5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
8.0 g Cascade Pellet (5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
8.0 g Cascade Pellet (5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
0.5 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
15.0 g Lemon Zest (Fresh) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 75 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Notes
----------------
* make sure to only use organic lemons, or wash soak and scrub them for approx an hour before using them (to get rid of residual pesticide). 1 finely zested lemon for 20 litres. 1/2 finely zested lemon for 10.
* finely grate and use zest in hop bag - separate one if possible

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Collectively holding our tongues, perhaps?

I usually see the tartness of lemon coming more from the juice rather than the zest.

The skin should only need the usual wash you'd give fresh food before using since you're looking at adding it to the boil anyway.

Base beer looks okay but will be tremendously boring if the lemon doesn't come forward, IMO.

If the lemon does come forward...? Well, I guess that falls into IYO territory since I'm not the one drinking it.

hmmmmmmm. cheers mate. i'll see how i go. might give it a try later on. don't wanna waste any ingredients just as yet on a trial lemon run - the original recipe i saw somewhere had a lot of people saying it came out too lemony. might either hold back on the lemons for now or wait until i'm a bit more experienced haha.

Back