Hunter Beer Company

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraig20

Reaction score
An in-law of mine had a few bottles of Hunter Beer Co. Kolsch at new years. Have to say, it was a top drop, I really enjoyed it - first time Ive tried a Kolsch.

Anyone else tried their brews? Any comments on the other beers they make? I'd consider getting a carton of the Kolsch mail-order if I can, might be worth picking up a few others if they are good too.

http://www.hunterbeer.com.au

hey mate their brewer is on the forum. he is keith the beer guy.
their beers are good apart from the smoked pale i had recently.

I was up there last weekend, I enjoyed all the beers I sampled. The Pale, Kolsch, Wit & the Xmas ale. All good IMO
I brought home a bottle of the Kolsch & the Xmas ale.

I rocked up for the brewery tour, my friend & I were the only ones there so had Keith all to myself to harass. (sorry man)
Even though I barely let Keith get through his spiel he was great & answered all my questions no drama. He even gave me his Kolsch recipe.

I brewed the Kolsch today & the yeast from the bottle is looking good in a starter ready to pitch tomorrow.

Great beers & great people at potters ;)

Have to concur
Great people and excellent beers up there at potters. And if you are ever required to do a spouse pacifying weekend trip to the hunter, Potters has some great accomodation (with the added bonus that you can play driver during the day, and have brownie points to get sauced on all the beers at the bar each evening!)
All the best
Trent

Had a few beers there before heading out to a day on the green.

I really enjoyed talking to the brew staff and had a quick look around the brewery.

Ended up bringing home a couple of magnums of bock. At christmas it was a bit of a hit, not for the beer per se (although me & the missus do like it) but for the "champagne bottle" delivery...

I also got to sample their "oktoberfest" as the brewery guy said, "as fine an example of a lacto infection as you are likely to find".

Before you ask, he wasn't selling it, but I asked about sanitation and those sorts of problems on the scale of a micro. He was very helpful and insightful, this was just an example that even with the best brewery practises, some bugs can slip through...

Maybe we should organise an AHB Beer Tasting Weekend up there?

Rabz

Yeah I went there for a 'wild weekend' once when I lived in Sydney. Birthday present from the missus.

The Bock is my favourite of theirs, but the Kolsch is definitely a good session beer. Must have had 10 pints of that the first night haha.

And there's always hens nights there so get ready for a bit of a laugh at other peoples expense.

Great place.

The family and I went there yesterday for a meal and I had a Kolsch and the missus tried the Wit and both were very nice. The food was good too.
Might try to get to one of their tours in the days ahead.
Off to Newcastle today to take the kids to the beach

One fault with the website is that I can't find out where they are or how to get there. We're going down to Sydney in a few weeks and last day of the drive is just from Port Mac so plenty of time to swing past to grab some bottles if it's not too far up the Hunter.
Directions???

One fault with the website is that I can't find out where they are or how to get there. We're going down to Sydney in a few weeks and last day of the drive is just from Port Mac so plenty of time to swing past to grab some bottles if it's not too far up the Hunter.
Directions???

Check this site out: Potters
There are instructions with map under contacts.

I would be keen to go out there for a tasting trip since I am in Newy and havent been there yet...

I just wanted to credit Keith with a big "ATABOY". Potters should be, and I am sure they are, very blessed to have Keith on board up there. He has a wealth of knowledge and a top guy to boot. A couple of weeks ago while I was boiling another Pilsner a brewing question popped into my head and I needed an answer. So on a Saturday arove I rang Potters and got Keith. He was more than happy to spend time answering my question. I wanted to know how long they took between airating their wort and pitching the yeast. As I wanted to try airating my wort while transfering to the fermenter at about 40 deg C and leaving to cool to pitching temps for another 6 hours in the fridge prior to pitching. As it turned out it worked fine.
But back to Keith.............keep up the good work mate, and I love what u guys are doing up there. I have the Mrs keen to spend a weekend up there at the health spa while I ...........well u know.

Steve

One night Port Mac, one night Potters.
Sweet.
Thanks Guys :super:

hey mate their brewer is on the forum. he is keith the beer guy.
their beers are good apart from the smoked pale i had recently.
Umm, I love the smoked pale. It's an acquired taste, but easily acquired (IMHO).

Ask about the liquid hot-dog beer :lol:

When I was there they were aging a beer in a recycled wine barrel.

It wasn't carbonated yet though.

Anyone know how that ended up once finished? Tasted very interesting even when flat and I don't really like red wine personally.

Just hope that the barrel could withstand the pressure. I can imagin it being either a great taste experience or a big clean up ;)

I think that the wine barrel had an airlock in it..... The last I tasted it was very nice, but I think it could have come out of the barrel a little younger than it did, but that was just my opinion, and I think that it is fantastic to see Aussie breweries starting to mess about with that kind of stuff. Keith is a great brewer, and doubtless you will see some amazing beers coming out of there in the next few years.
All the best
Trent

One night Port Mac, one night Potters.
Sweet.
Thanks Guys :super:

You might want to call into the information centre that is at the Cessnock airport just north of the brewery. They have Hunter Valley golf club cards there that have vouchers on them. One is for a free main course meal with another main meal.
We found these after going there for a meal :unsure:

Thanks for the constructive feedback - it is always appreciated - good or bad!

We have a special setup here in the Hunter - we not only get to make beer, but we also get to talk to customers which is pretty amazing.

(The web site is pretty ordinary, but expect that to change in the next couple of months)

Happy Tasting,

Keith

I was there just after new year and they had an ex port/wine barrel ready for some beer. They were boiling a robust porter from memory at the time.
All the beers I tasted were fantastic and they even slipped me a magnum of the smoked pale...
Great people, great place, definately worth the visits.

Back