How'd these go as fermenters?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesmashhit

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430385966.100732.jpg

Just wondering how these camper can 25L would go as fermenters? Need to cut a hole for the airlock, but their food grade and seem ok. Thoughts?

They'll work fine. The 30L square ones at Bunnings are a little better as they have more headspace.

They will be fine, plenty of people use them including myself.

Just use the rubber o ring from the inside of the lid and glad wrap instead of an airlock.

I use one from bunnings very similar to that one and love it. Like you said just drill a hole in the lid and pop in a grommet for an air lock

Dazzbrew said:
Like you said just drill a hole in the lid and pop in a grommet for an air lock
Glad wrap + the rubber o-ring in the lid is much easier and stops you constantly checking an air lock for signs of life ;)

Willows are generally better quality but more expensive.
The blue colouring is to protect them from UV, as most of them are used in the great outdoors as water carriers. I emailed Willow years ago as I actually owned one of the last white ones and they explained it all, including the fact that the blue colouring is perfectly food safe and neutral.

Other thing to note on the square ones is that they sit nicely side by side in the fermenting fridge..

With the square ones there's also the advantage that the opening and O ring are smaller and therefore much easier to use with gladwrap.

ringwood cider.jpg

So with the square ones (may well do a Bunnings run today) you've just popped the o-ring off, glad wrapped the top and popped it back on to seal?

That's what you do with all of them. Don't be alarmed at the blue colour, as posted above it's food safe.
Ed: you might need to ring around a few Bunnings (e.g. Port, Hawthorn etc) as they don't always have them in stock at every store. Ask for 30L camping water container (square).

Back