How You Apply Your Starsan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reon

Reaction score
Hi

Going to use starsan for the first time on the weekend to bottle and was thinking of filling sink with recommended dosage and then filling bottles and draining them back into sink. I am interested to know how what other methods are used? or what is the "best" method.

Get yourself a bottle rinser (no afilliation, just the first link I found with a picture) - makes life a lot easier for bottles. Fits on top of a bottle draining tree if you can get one of those too.

Best method? Get ready to hear about kegs.

Best method? Get ready to hear about kegs.

Kegs??? thats the way to go!!!

Tho you will always have a lil left over for bottles..... This may not be the best way but i recently bought some used PET bottles from a chap and they were not cleaned from previous brew so i put 20 or so into the dishwasher standing upside down with lids off and did a wash. Then dried and sanitised prior to bottling?
This could be the completely wrong way but it did the job for me and beer tastes fine?

Still skip bottles and go the kegs...... :icon_cheers:

I just got a bottle rinser. Here's a word of warning for those who use PET: these pumps are designed for the thicker walls of glass bottles, my PETs just slide right over. Gonna have to bush it out with something. Works great with my glass though.

I just got a bottle rinser. Here's a word of warning for those who use PET: these pumps are designed for the thicker walls of glass bottles, my PETs just slide right over. Gonna have to bush it out with something. Works great with my glass though.
A suitably sized (metal?) washer over the spout should do it. I've tried rinsing PET bottles with this and found it too damn hard, so I end up filling those with a bit of sanitiser, shaking them, and pouring bottle to bottle the slow way.

Starsan is so cheap that I just throw each batch down the drain after I've used it.

I find a syringe a necessary tool to measure it out, because I normally make up 2L batches.

A suitably sized (metal?) washer over the spout should do it. I've tried rinsing PET bottles with this and found it too damn hard, so I end up filling those with a bit of sanitiser, shaking them, and pouring bottle to bottle the slow way.

Thought about that but think maybe the washer will reduce flow too much and turn it into a bottle filler instead of rinser(?). Think I'll just glue some plastic onto the present notches basically extending them.

You've got me worried now. My bottles are mostly PET, what was so hard about rinsing them this way?

Thought about that but think maybe the washer will reduce flow too much and turn it into a bottle filler instead of rinser(?). Think I'll just glue some plastic onto the present notches basically extending them.
Hmmm... good point. Maybe a washer with lots of holes drilled in it? Or perhaps just two metal skewers, one either side of the spout, strapped together somehow. Gotta be a good way.

Yes, extending the notches would do it.

You've got me worried now. My bottles are mostly PET, what was so hard about rinsing them this way?
Just that the PET bottle mouths slip off the little notches on the spout of the bottle rinser - thus too damn hard to make sure they're in place correctly for rinsing. I believe we're complaining of the same issue... aren't we?

Just that the PET bottle mouths slip off the little notches on the spout of the bottle rinser - thus too damn hard to make sure they're in place correctly for rinsing. I believe we're complaining of the same issue... aren't we?

Ah, pretty much only with mine the bottles hardly touch the sides let alone slip off the notches.

Get into kegging and then the ugly bottle monsters go away to a much much lesser extent. There you go QB happier now? SWMBO will love ya long after the money spent is forgotten.

Chappo

Get into kegging and then the ugly bottle monsters go away to a much much lesser extent. There you go QB happier now? SWMBO will love ya long after the money spent is forgotten.

Chappo

I use a spray bottle, a quick few squirts inside the bottle, a bit of a shake, then invert onto sanitised bottle tree.... (Thats when I bottled though).. <_<

+1 on the kegs too, missus wasnt keen at the time, but since ive got them, she detests bottles... :D

I go the sink method and try to fill each bottle entirely. I like that there is guaranteed 100% contact.

I considered that early on but determined (guessed) that the agitation with the half-fill probably works better.

Now, I'm over sanitising the bottles completely and will just hope a couple squirts with the pump will take care of it. *fingers crossed*

Latest posts

Back