How To Work Out Malt Litres From Kg Tins

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tredog

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am working on a recipie that uses litres of extract rather than the 1kg tin of. Is there anyone out there that has worked out what the 1kg, 1.5, and 1.6kg tins hold in the way of litres of extract?

Cheers, Tae.

Isn`t it the same, i.e. 5mill. = 5 gm. =1 teaspoon?

stagga.

Hey Everyone,

I am working on a recipie that uses litres of extract rather than the 1kg tin of. Is there anyone out there that has worked out what the 1kg, 1.5, and 1.6kg tins hold in the way of litres of extract?

Cheers, Tae.

hi,
you could empty a 1.7kg tin of malt extract kit, and fill it with water and measure the volume of water. you would then have the volume that is 1.7kg of
malt. say for example z litres weighs 1.7 kg, then 1 litre is 1.7/z kg.

cheers, alan

I'm trying to get away with not having to go out and purcahse a tin just for the experiment. The idea of home brew for me is to keep costs down :p

Its quickly becoming the opposite. If anyone has a can sitting around could they possibly measure it?

I spose it`s a bit like what weighs the most...... a kg. of feathers or a kg. of lead? :huh:

stagga.

I spose it`s a bit like what weighs the most...... a kg. of feathers or a kg. of lead? :huh:

stagga.

Not at all, density does not work like that. 1 kilo of malt extract will take up far less room than 1 kilo of water. I believe there are 1.25L in the 1.7 kilo kit. But I do not have one to check this theory.

Not at all, density does not work like that. 1 kilo of malt extract will take up far less room than 1 kilo of water. I believe there are 1.25L in the 1.7 kilo kit. But I do not have one to check this theory.

Thanks Kevnlis, It gives me a starting point at least.

And of course I would not be asking this question if malt extract was the same kg - litre weight of water.

To use one of the examples above of 1 kg of feathers and 1 kg of lead are yes the same weight but if you filled a tin with feathers and the same sized tin with lead which will be heavier? Lead of course!

Most liquid malt extracts are at 80 Brix. This corresponds (approximately) to a specific gravity of 1.320, or a density 1.320kg/L

So for a 1.7kg tin, you've got approximately 1.7(kg)/1.320(kg/L) = 1.29L.

So you can divide your malt extract mass by 1.32 to get volume.

An empty 1.7kg. extract can is 1.2 kg, when filled with water.

stagga.

Thanks Kevnlis, It gives me a starting point at least.

And of course I would not be asking this question if malt extract was the same kg - litre weight of water.

To use one of the examples above of 1 kg of feathers and 1 kg of lead are yes the same weight but if you filled a tin with feathers and the same sized tin with lead which will be heavier? Lead of course!

What if you really packed the feathers in to equal the lead weight, and dropped them both from 1000 metres at the same time?
They`d hit the ground together wouldn`t they?

stagga.

I can categorically say you would not be able to pack feathers to the same density as lead.

If you somehow managed to do it, when you drop the block of feathers I'm fairly sure they would fall apart.

Huh?

I can categorically say you would not be able to pack feathers to the same density as lead.

If you somehow managed to do it, when you drop the block of feathers I'm fairly sure they would fall apart.

Huh?
But if I did manage to pack them to the same density as lead, they`d both travel down at the same speed tho?

stagga,

Yeah, unless they were attached to a bird in which case it would fly away and ruin the experiment.

cheers

Darren

By nature of the fact that lead is made from lead atoms, and feathers are not, there will be minute differences in surface roughness even if you packed the feathers into the same shape with the same density, which will change the drag and they will fall at different rates. I really don't know why I'm bothering to ask this ridiculous question!

By nature of the fact that lead is made from lead atoms, and feathers are not, there will be minute differences in surface roughness even if you packed the feathers into the same shape with the same density, which will change the drag and they will fall at different rates. I really don't know why I'm bothering to ask this ridiculous question!

You`re not asking it......... you`re answering it :lol:

stagga.
{I was going to say if I packed the feathers in a lead container to compensate for the air drag, etc, but I won`t now :( }

stagga.

Coopers tins are 1.7kg and have 1.25L malt.

Phonos - yeah you're right, exactly what I was going to say. So if you divide the 1.7kg by 1.25L then you get around 1.36kg liquid malt extract per litre. And if you want to take it further than that, then liquid malt extract is generally 20% water (from what I can gather) so you can take that 1.36kg LME/L figure and times it by .8, then you'll come out with 1.088kg/malt per litre of liquid extract.

See? Its that easy! :D

Cheers - boingk

Latest posts

Back