How To Use A Whole Bunch Of Homegrown Chinook Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Tony doesn't personally like dry hopping and probably hasn't had home grown chinook as well.

Control freak ;)

back in your box lad :lol:

I have no problems with this....just i dont like dry hopping (and the LCBA doesnt need it, its a BA not a PA) and think these hops would be better used making an AIPA of epic proportions!

my 2c :)

Edit.........

crap...... they are on to me :p

back in your box lad :lol:

:icon_cheers: on ya, Tony. I have to agree with you. The Bright is my house beer and I always go back to the original recipe with no changes.

If it was me, and it won't be this year because my bines are shithouse grr... I'd be going for an APA with 60, 15 and 1 minute schedule so you can really get a good taste of what your hops are going to do. However, a 10 minute IPA would also be tempting...

Cheers, John.

60, 15, 1........... mmmmmmmmmmmm

Id go 30 , 20, 10, 0.

Bitter, 1g/l, 2g/l, 3g/l

Since my pallete is still an IBU wuss, I have today cooked up an APA-ish (instead of IPA) brew with 200g of fresh Chinook at 15 mins. A big mob of flowers act as a good trub trap! I was going to bitter with Magnum and flavour with Chinook but thought ah what the heck, try the fresh Chinook only.

If I say they're 9% AA (as per Mount Torrens Chinook), divide fresh weight by 5, and with 'dirty no chilling' (adjustment of +10 mins for IBU?) - I might have an equivalent of perhpas 40g at 25 mins and still be 7ish IBU points short of style minimum. I'm not trying to win anything, so out of style won't worry me. I'll taste it out of the fermenter and see if I need to do another boil and add to gain some IBU.

I have 80g drying to add as a dry hop, I just didn't have the bollocks to throw the lot in the boil. Not a lot of flowers left on the bines, I kinda gave it a good going over today.

sort of on topic...

I also have just harvested my first year chinhooks in Kiama and am attempting to dry hops for the first time. I have had them on a screen next to a fan now for two days. It is very humid where I live and has been raining yesterday. So Far the appearance of the hops has not changed much during drying. The one stem i left on is still bending or creasing instead of snapping.

I have a feeling my hops were already fairly dry when i picked them as i had to discard some brown ones. I harvested about 5Liters worth and they only weighed about 300gm,

Do you think they are already dry?

sort of on topic...

I also have just harvested my first year chinhooks in Kiama and am attempting to dry hops for the first time. I have had them on a screen next to a fan now for two days. It is very humid where I live and has been raining yesterday. So Far the appearance of the hops has not changed much during drying. The one stem i left on is still bending or creasing instead of snapping.

I have a feeling my hops were already fairly dry when i picked them as i had to discard some brown ones. I harvested about 5Liters worth and they only weighed about 300gm,

Do you think they are already dry?

from what I've read people dry their hops to a certain percentage of their original weight. I'm still waiting on my chinook that is still growing healthily and has only some tiny flower buds. The POR next to it (it the spot with more sun) got scorched and has a few flowers nearly ready to pick.

errr...let me just say that I sampled my LFPA using all homegrown chinook and cascade and I would like to acknowledge barls and drsmurto....it is remarkably similar to a cascade and motueka/b saaz match up (like a darker, maltier more aggro Tonys LCBA). Weird, unexpected but pleasant.

Gee I'm glad I bought 90gms of B Saaz when I've just picked, dried and vac sealed 700gms of homegrown chinook that tastes much the same.

Slightly OT but are there any other hop varieties that home growers use that are radically (and I would describe this difference as radical - no attack like chinook pellets has) different to what might be expected? I might even start a new thread on this - it has really taken me by surprise...like buying zucchini seed and growing pumpkin hee hee.

glad to hear its tasty. might have to play around with a few recipes i have.
my mt hood, its almost like a cross halfway between the german and the american version.
the only other one is wurtenburger, which is similar to tettenger but quite different as well.

Fascinating stuff!
So a home grown Chinook could taste like a motueka/b saaz ?
This really ought to be a new thread: What home grown hops might actually taste like or resemble.

I was told to expect that my homegrown Hersbrucker is much fruitier than what one would expect from commercial Hersbrucker.

New growers, myself included have certain expectations that a particular variety may have characteristics such as the variety name would suggest. To know what expectations one should possibly have from home grown stuff really would be invaluable when deciding on what varities to get or what to use them for.

Fascinating stuff!
So a home grown Chinook could taste like a motueka/b saaz ?
This really ought to be a new thread: What home grown hops might actually taste like or resemble.

I've only been saying that for a few years now :icon_cheers:

I thought I told you this when you took the chinook (and other) cuttings home? If i didnt i apologise.

I've only been saying that for a few years now :icon_cheers:

I thought I told you this when you took the chinook (and other) cuttings home? If i didnt i apologise.

Verbal diarrhea response sent as a PM! :D

Back