How To Take Sg Samples

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know whether a diluted solution of no-rinse sanitiser in a spray bottle (or something similar) will still be effective if left in the bottle for a period of time?

Is is vulnerable to spending time in air?

Does anyone know whether a diluted solution of no-rinse sanitiser in a spray bottle (or something similar) will still be effective if left in the bottle for a period of time?

Is is vulnerable to spending time in air?

pxpx - I think someone did an experiment with idophor to see how long it lasted in a spray bottle...it was quite a while ago and a very in-depth thread. Maybe have a search? Its there somewhere and will probably have an answer for you :beer:
Cheers
Steve

In order to keep one step ahead in the infection race, I regularly switch my favourite sanitiser - Iodopher is one I can highly recommend. As a no rinse sanitiser it's not overly offensive on the nose (compared to other nasties like Sod Met) when you spray it everywhere and apart from it's relatively lengthy contact time (minimum of 10 minutes and re-apply after 30 mins if necessary) it's a good solution to use.
It's a dark brown Iodine + Phosphoric Acid solution (unlike Betadine which is straight Iodine) out of the bottle and when diluted to its no-rinse concentration (about 1ml per litre), it does pale up to a golden brown colour, and there's a highly technical way to work out if it's lost potency - the solution goes clear! A 200ml bottle of this stuff from the local HBS lasts ages...
When I clean out my fermenters and kegs etc, I spray a mist of this stuff inside before returning the gear to the cellar - I don't have colour problems with the fermenters or kegs so those who do get discolouration are probably using too intense a concentration of this stuff...
FWIW, I've used Iodophor over the last 11 years and NEVER (touch wood) had a serious infection other than a lazily sealed 2L flagon of yeast starter that spent the night too close to the fruit bowl last summer!!
Cheers,
TL

TL,

What do you mean by contact time? I can understand when soaking eqiupment in a solution for say 10min before emptying and letting it dry. But what about when you are spraying it? Shouldn't you wait until everything is dry anyway? What if it takes more than 30 mins for surfaces and things to dry?

Thanks for the help. I want to make sure I get a comprehensive sterilising regime up and going.

cheers,

Matt

Also,

Do you guys sanitise your crown seals before bottling? Or am I taking this too far now?!?

cheers

oops, been doing some more reading and now realise you don't let it dry...makes perfect sense now, otherwise it would defeat the purpose. hmmm.

but my question about crown seals still stands!

Also,

Do you guys sanitise your crown seals before bottling? Or am I taking this too far now?!?

cheers

I do. I just put them in a sieve and soak them in the sanitiser for a couple of minutes.

Also,
cheers

I've been slack when I used to bottle - I never sanitised the crown seals, but they were stored in a sealed tin in a cupboard out of the way so I never got caught out...But having said that, a bowl of steriliser and the seals tossed in should do the trick when you bottle the beer - just don't use hot water as it may affect the sealing properties of the caps...

And yes, the contact time is to kill bacteria not let the surface go dry. I spray wildly when I do my cleanup and store the fermenter with iodophor sprayed all over the insides of it - besides, I go berserk and re-wash and sanitise the fermenter again, before I rack wort into it...just in case something got in there in between brews.

Cheers,
TL

Latest posts

Back