How To Take Sg Samples

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deegee

Reaction score
G'day All. Looking for advice re the best way to take a sample from the fermenter towards the end of fermentaton. ( Tried a search, but found nothing on this )

When the airlock has stopped or almost stopped bubbling, and you want to check the SG, is it better to remove the screw top and dip a sample with a sterile ladle or draw it through the tap, then clean & sterilise the tap. If the latter, what is the best way to do this ??.

Cheers Deegee

I just take a sample from the tap, then spray some no-rinse santiser back up through the spout of the (closed) tap when i'm done, just to rinse any beer residue out. haven't had any problems thus far.

ditto,
use the tap.
Remember to take the airlock out so you don't suck its contents back into your beer - the beer nows contains alcohol so you shouldn't need to worry about any airborne beasties being drawn back in.
Then sanitise the tap as best you can. And again before you bottle.

hey guys,

I must admit i have never heard of anybody sanitising the tap of the fermenter when taking a sample... :blink:

When i think about it, it makes sense. I've been brewing for a few years and haven't had a problem. well i had one problem but that was unrelated.

Out of interest, how many people sanitise the tap after taking a sample??

Sloth.

The reason I sanitise the tap after taking a sample is that I use the same tap to bottle or rack the entire beer after fermentation is finished. I don't want to leave any crud in it that might facilitate an infection.

I understand the reasoning behind it, but it just never occurred to me to actually do it.

Sloth.

I give the inside and outside of the tap a rub with a cotton bud on a stick and some isopropyl alcohol before I empty the fermenter.

Scott

hey guys,

I must admit i have never heard of anybody sanitising the tap of the fermenter when taking a sample... :blink:

When i think about it, it makes sense. I've been brewing for a few years and haven't had a problem. well i had one problem but that was unrelated.

Out of interest, how many people sanitise the tap after taking a sample??

Sloth.

It would be a brave brewer that doesn't sanitise the tap after sampling.
The tap is the main area for infection.
The goatherder is on the mark by spraying with sanitiser after sampling. A no rinse variety is good as long as you spray it immediately after taking the sample.
Cheers,

Undo the lid slightly so when you draw some from the tap that the fluid in airlock does not go into brew. Discard the intial 1/2 cup as it got yeast sediment. Then draw some from tap as per normal. Don't feget to tighten the lid a bit if fermentation not quite finnished.
Regarding sanitizing the tap.
Yep before racking to second

Thanks all, for the advice. In the past I used to draw samples from the tap and spray it with a peroxide sanitizer, but I had a few problems with gradual deterioration of the beer in the bottle. It would improve for a few weeks, then get dryer & dryer til it was too astringent, and I threw out any that was left.

One thing I thought it might be was a minor infection at bottling, which slowly but surely took over the brew. And I suspected that it might be from the tap, because it affected every bottle in the batch.

Any thoughts on this ??.

Cheers, Deegee.

DeeGee, saying where an infection comes from is a risky business.

An unclean tap is a likely source, especially if you have any sort of cockroach or rodent issue. Spraying and cleaning it after taking a sample is a good idea. I used a cotton bud soaked in sanitiser.

You are right though, a minor infection will gradually dry out the beer and cause unpleasant flavours.

Do you guys make up solutions of sanitiser and just keep it on hand? Must admit it never occured to me to sanitize the tap either...but haven't had a problem so far...

Is it necessary to use a cleaning agent as well as a sanitiser? I use bleach at the moment (which serves both roles) but want to switch to iodophor for ease of use. Do I just need to use a cleaning agent if fermentor is visibly marked?

cheers

Always have a spray bottle of diluted Phosphoric Acid (NoRinse) sanitiser in the brewery. Use it to spray fermenter threads before screwing in taps, and to spray taps before re-fitting O rings etc. Also the thread inside fermenter lids before re-fitting the O ring seal. Spray tap nozzle's after taking a sample. And great for Hydrometers, sample tubes and especially for sparying hands before handling anything in the brewery.

Howdy Deegee,

In addition to the above, it's a good idea to keep the tap covered betwen readings. Some ideas on how to do this can be found if you click on this link

Cheers
PP

I always have a spray bottle filled with no rinse sanitiser. I spray inside and on the outside of taps when racking, after sampling, basicly I spray any surface that may come into contact with the fementing wort.

Have noticed that the threads on the fermenter and the tap itself always seem to have a fair build up of crud after fermenting.
I remove taps and take apart after a batch has been completed. Better safe than sorry.
Chris

OK then, guess i've been a bit slack with my sanitising procedures. Thanks for the advice. But why is it necessary to sanitise your hydrometer and sample tubes?

And one more question: should I be sanitising any surfaces I place equipment on (eg. stiring spoon) before I use them with my brew? I've never done so in the past, but get the feeling i've just been lucky and it's only a matter of time before the brew gets a nasty infection...

Matt

You're right Matt....you are lucky!
Consider every surface to be hostile unless you have an excellent sterilisation protocol in place. A 500ml spray bottle with diluted Iodophor or non rinse sanitiser is a cheap and excellent investment.
You need to consider what will touch the wort after the boil - that is where you can get into real trouble - the stirring spoon isn't too much of a problem since it's used only during the boil and I rest it on a clean plate and never let the spoon touch the wort after the boil.
Oxonia or some other quick acting sanitiser is a good thing to have nearby...
Another infection related thing to note is to try to crush grains away from where you are making or fermenting the beer - airborne grain dust particles are quite capable of introducing bacterial infections to the unprotected wort...Of course, extract brewers don't have to worry about this!!

Cheers,
TL

You're right Matt....you are lucky!
Consider every surface to be hostile unless you have an excellent sterilisation protocol in place. A 500ml spray bottle with diluted Iodophor or non rinse sanitiser is a cheap and excellent investment.
You need to consider what will touch the wort after the boil - that is where you can get into real trouble - the stirring spoon isn't too much of a problem since it's used only during the boil and I rest it on a clean plate and never let the spoon touch the wort after the boil.
Oxonia or some other quick acting sanitiser is a good thing to have nearby...
Another infection related thing to note is to try to crush grains away from where you are making or fermenting the beer - airborne grain dust particles are quite capable of introducing bacterial infections to the unprotected wort...Of course, extract brewers don't have to worry about this!!

Cheers,
TL

eek :blink: I've never cleaned the tap after taking a sample.
Cheers
Steve

Holy crap, it never occurred to me to sanitise the tap after each sample! :blink:
Thought it sounded a bit anal on my first look here, but it does make sense... although I haven't had a problem yet.
but the spray bottle sounds like a good idea.

Pete
p.s. How good is it when you work just around the corner from Equilibrium!? I just had a Grimbergen for lunch., and it washed down the tuna sandwich nicely!

OK then, guess i've been a bit slack with my sanitising procedures. Thanks for the advice. But why is it necessary to sanitise your hydrometer and sample tubes?

Matt
Matt

As far as I can see the only reason for sanitising them would be if you were going to tip the sample back into the fermenter. I'd rather use it for a taste test.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back