How To Make Cider?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dre

Reaction score
I'll be attempting to make Cider for the first time:

1. Do I need to boil the pressed juices like we do with wort?

2. What yeast is recommended?

3. What apples should I use and how many? Apple juice from the supermarket?

4. Any experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers.

i would suggest investing in some oztops, there available from Grumpys at about 25 bucks for a pack i think. these lets you make a ton of cider and all you need is to buy juice from the supermarket, add a small amount of one of the two supplied yeasts to the bottle of juice, apply the oztops cap, shake. leave for 3-7 days and next thing you know you have pretty tasty Cider.

-Phill

I've only made one cider, but it's pretty easy. If you have an apple tree or a relative with an apple tree(s), your apple supply is secured. I don't know if crabapples grow or are available in Australia, but they make nice cider if you can find them. Crabapples are small, slightly sour, apples. Sometimes they're intensely sour. I've tasted a few ciders made with crabapples (but not by me) and they were all great.

Apple variety makes a big difference in the finished cider, but I don't know enough about them to tell you which varieties are best. Obtain apples, hopefully a large quantity, and run them through a juicer. If you're after authentic spontaneously fermented stuff, you don't have to do anything to the juice - just let it ferment. If you want something cleaner/more repeatable, pasteurise the juice. I had to juice about 12 gallons of apples to end up with 5 gallons (~20l) of juice.

I pasteurised my one attempt and it turned out fine. I heated the juice to 80C, then turned off the heat and sealed the pot using cling film so that no dust could be sucked in while it cooled. I left the pot on the stove, with the heat off, for about 45 minutes to cool naturally and to also remain at elevated temperatures for an extended period to ensure that the juice was pasteurised. I then cooled the juice by putting the pot in a cold water bath. Once it was thoroughly cooled, I poured it into a carboy and added the yeast (US-05).

I did add pectic enzyme about 1 week into the fermentation to eliminate any haze my pasteurisation attempt may have caused. Adding yeast nutrient and diammonium phosphate to the cider to aid fermentation is a good idea.

If you can find 100% pure apple juice, by all means use it. Don't use juice with any additives.

i would suggest investing in some oztops, there available from Grumpys at about 25 bucks for a pack i think. these lets you make a ton of cider and all you need is to buy juice from the supermarket, add a small amount of one of the two supplied yeasts to the bottle of juice, apply the oztops cap, shake. leave for 3-7 days and next thing you know you have pretty tasty Cider.

-Phill

The problem with using shop bought juice (oztops method or not) is that they don't make a properly balanced cider. In a cider you need apple flavour, sweetness, acid and tannin (a bit like winemaking). The shop bought juice is made from normal eating apples which usually don't have enough acid and tannin to balance things out (think not enough hops to balance the malt for a beer making analogy). To really make a good cider you need to use cider apples which have the right balance but are really hard to find, use a mix of fresh apples to get the mix you want, or use regular juice and adjust the acid and tannin manually.

the other option is to use a good cider kit like the austro vino one from ibrew but I'm moving away from those because they use a juice concentrate and the concentration process darkens the juice and hives it a malty/caramel overtone which I don't want. My next batch will be about 70% Gravenstein (sweetness and a really nice perfume), 25% Granny Smith (acid) and 5% crab apples from my garden (acid and tannin). The only problem will be juicing up enough apples for 40l of juice. Ideally you want to use a slow press style juicer rather than one of the high speed centrifugal jobbies you see at juice bars as they give you a lot of pulp in the juice and it doesn't clear very well.

Cheers
Dave

Has anyone tried a Dickens Cider?

tfh

Back