How To Land A Job In A Brewery!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've contemplated taking the leap but I think the romantic idea attached to being a professional brewer would not necessarily match the reality. Yes maybe for a smaller indie set up but for a bigger brewer it would be akin to repetitive factory work making the same thing day in day out. I'm quite happy to stick with home brewing because I can always apply the practice of "what beer do I feel like brewing and drinking this month". Which I'm sure is not a luxury shared by most professional brewers.

Things tend not to become as much fun once they become your job....anyway that's just my take on it!?

Just thought Id add my little bit Im off to the south of England to work in a small brewry for 6 months cant wait place is called the triangle tavern, brewery in the back bar in the front also a 16th century pub on the canal its on google also won some major awards in the real ale competions [Camra] feeling quite chirpy regards

Great news mate, enjoy your time. If I could make that type of move I would. I reckon there is a chance that down the road I will end up going overseas, & a cricket playing country that has a strong beer culture & a few good golf courses would be ideal.
Cheers
Gerard

I've contemplated taking the leap but I think the romantic idea attached to being a professional brewer would not necessarily match the reality.

Yeah, and I think it could potentially destroy any passion that once existed for home brewing. Everything would become about making the process more cost-effective and efficient, to the point that it isn't fun anymore.

Yeah, and I think it could potentially destroy any passion that once existed for home brewing. Everything would become about making the process more cost-effective and efficient, to the point that it isn't fun anymore.

I think that would be the fun bit...

Each to their own I guess!

TD,

It doesn't destroy your passion for brewing but I have found that I brew a lot less at home now, if I'm doing a batch at home it would be during the week and most likely a test batch of something I might want to make at the brewery. I make myself a FWK every now and then to keep the keg fridge at home ticking over. Certainly efficiency and cost are important but it is mostly about making a consistent product that people want to drink and continually improving it.

My bit of fun for today was having the malt auger snap a v-belt with about half the malt in the mash tun. After I raced out and got a replacement it ran for about 2 seconds before dying completely!!! So now I am trying to save the brew by making a low strength 1600 lt batch (on a 3600 lt system) and then have to make a higher strength 2000 lt batch to blend wih it next week after I fix the auger.

And I'm here by myself. Never a dull moment.

Cheers, Andrew.

I think that would be the fun bit...

Each to their own I guess!

The process kind of becomes sterile though - brewing 2 or 3 recipes over and over again. I mean, in over 100 AG batches, I have NEVER brewed the same beer twice - that's what I find appealing and fun about home brewing. But as you said, each to their own!

I mean, in over 100 AG batches, I have NEVER brewed the same beer twice

:D Thought I was the only sick man T.D. I've never really made a beer twice either. Have repeated the odd recipe but have always tweaked or modified the ingredients just to see where the differences lie.

Yep, I know it's a great living for some blokes but to me brewing the same beer over and over would be like eating the same food every night. Even if the dish is top notch.

I'd rather become bored with my day to day job. I can't drink it. :lol:

Warren -

Good on ya mate.... each to their own

Have you ever heard an electrician call a broom a black snake?

We dont like to pick either of them up :)

cheers

Couldn't agree with that one more, bloody tradies are filthy bastards who don't like to clean up! (bitching because I do final cleans on renovated units hehe) :p

Long time since your post, but i have only recently joined AHB. Good to see another food techie.

Yep, always good to see another food techie :)

I moved interstate to start brewing, maybe that's something to consider?

bloody tradies are filthy bastards who don't like to clean up! (bitching because I do final cleans on renovated units hehe)

Well, I guess we're keeping you in work then. And that's the plumber's rubbish, not mine. ;)

I got all confused there Kai.... then I re read your original post to this thread date goes back to 2006....

Very intersting reading guys - thanks.
Im the head brewer in my laundry - even my wife needs permission to enter :D
Cheers
Steve

I like that....

We all wish for something... There are people that talk and write then there are people that DO!!!!!

Back