How To Land A Job In A Brewery!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard_M

Reaction score
Over the past few weeks I have had a few queries about job opportunities in the brewing industry. Whilst this is not the definative guide it may help someone that is looking for a change.

My former assistant Phil Brian (AKA Baldrick) is a pretty good example of how to go about finding a full time brewing position.

Whilst completing his Chemical Engineering Degree at Sydney Uni, Phil spent a few weeks of his Christmas holiday break doing work experience with Tim Thomas at The Five Islands Brewery in Wollongong. A few months later he phoned me at Paddy's Brewery to ask whether we had any jobs going. At the time we didn't, but as he had already done a bit of work with Tim, I got him to come in for a few brew days to see how interested he really was. One reason that I did this is that when I started looking for work in the brewing industry I constantly received help from people such as Matt Donellan at St.Peters brewery or Rob Freshwater at Malt Shovel.

Phil was generally found out the back at Paddys, cleaning kegs, milling grain, emptying the mash tun, cleaning the beer lines or scrubbing the cellar floor. Nothing glamorous, but it was a start, and I managed to get him on the payroll. He followed me to the Macquarie Hotel when they opened their brewery in March 2005, and worked as a cellarmen/bottleshop attendant & brewery tour guide. Late last year, Phil finished his degree and took up a position as Assistant Brewer at the Potters Brewery in the Hunter Valley. Unfortunately Phil was getting a bit homesick, so he recently headed back to Sydney. It wasn't long before he ended up on the door step at The Malt Shovel Brewery where he is about to start as a full time Brewery Technician.

Now while Phil has a Uni degree that is going to be very useful in the brewing industry, the experience he picked up at these smaller breweries really helped him get his foot in the door at The Malt Shovel. Most people working in micro-breweries & even some larger breweries started down a similar path to Phil.

Cheers
Gerard

Only way to go. Start at the bottom and work up. That happened to me a few years ago when i was a casual bottleshop attendant and within two years was running the place.

I suppose the only other option is to build your own brewery.

My experience was similar to that of Gerard's mate Phil. Most craft brewers began as home brewers and at some point in time, the penny has dropped for us and we've decided to do what ever it takes to get a start in the industry.

I finished uni in 1993 and decided at the time to pursue brewing as a career. It took me a bloody long time as there wasn't much going on a decade ago. Not a lot of interest shown by the big guys and at that time, the Lord Nelson and Hahn were the only craft breweries in Sydney. Chuck never returned a single call or responded to any letter.

I missed the 1995 Grad Dip long course at Ballarat, the one Freshwater and Edney went to, but I did land a job at a yeast R&D lab running the fermenters and I started to crank out awesome beer with all that laboratory gear at my fingertips. My all-grain kit was designed so that everything post-boil (FV, wort cooler, hoses, fitting and bottles) could be loaded into an autoclave!

The 1997 Grad dip never ran but John 'Spesh' Stallwood (Nail Ale) and I pestered the University until they took us as post-grad students in their food-tech program. In the 18 months we were there, Spesh developed his Nail beers and I worked on a malt project with Joe Whites and got a lot of help from the technical guys at CUB.

Back to Sydney where I pestered Blair Hayden at the Lord Nelson until he gave me a job as a glassy on Friday nights. Soon became a shift manager and got to brew every now and then when his son 'Trip' was away. I used to hang around the Australian on Thursdays to help Geoff Scharer unload kegs and I was invited that year to fill in for Dave at the brewery in Picton when he was on holiday. I remained at The Lord until Dave went away again, that time I didnt go back.

I was at Sharer's for nearly a year. My girlfriend left, I was sick of mucking around, I approached Doug Donelan at Malt Shovel and pleaded for a job and started there a week later. June 2000.

June 2005 and Im pleading again to be part of LN's craft program; no cigar. I just quit. Jobs under every rock at this time and I had had enough of being a 'swivel chair brewer'. The craft scene was heating up and I wanted to be part of it. I was still on a Pacific North-West craft beer high.

June 2006. A great twelve months at Colonial. Fixed up the beers, turned a few heads, gave Ross the confidence to start ramping up the business. A very exciting couple of years ahead!

Yeah, so make the decision and just do whatever you have to. Good luck Phil, you'll learn a hell of a lot from some very good brewers at 'The Shovel' and when you're jack of it in a few years, I'll be commissioning the 3rd or 4th Colonial and will need another good brewer.

Baldrick goes from muckin out the lepers to muckin out the mash tun....

My interest in brewing goes back to my first season caddying on the pro golf tour in Europe in 1990. Great beers & great places to enjoy them. I was always a bit disappointed when I came home to the "ordinariness" of Australian beer. My sisters' father-in-law was brewing beer, & it was awful. Went back to Europe & I met a girl in Munich who actually did have a father that owned a brewery. I fell in love. The girl was kind of nice too! As I was always on the move I had the chance to try some great beers & visit a heap of breweries. Carlsberg, Guinness, Bachmayer, Budvar, Pilsner Urquell etc. I had an afternoon at Kooyonga Golf Course with Bill Cooper from Coopers Brewery. What a great guy. I was a huge Coopers fan, still am. Can't remember much about the golf, but we had a few beers, followed by a few more. He talked me into buying a Home Brew kit. When I quit travelling I settled in Perth for a few years. I borrowed a lonely kit from my cousin & made a few Coopers Dark can kits.

When I returned to Sydney, I took a job managing pubs for the Laundy family. The boss was very keen on me learning as much as I could about the cellar & beer plumbing. For my homework I started with a Coopers kit from Big W, moved on to the local HBS, & made a few good beers. I had a very good win on the horses one day and turned up at the HBS the next day with a pocket full of cash & the desire to go all grain. I was told that it was a waste of time. I got in the car & drove to see Mel @ ESB. I got a better answer. I went to see Leon do a demo at Clovelly. The Boss decided he would install a brewery & I could run it. Long story short the brewery came & went without producing beer. I stick to running pubs & studying Political Science at Uni!?!? At the end of my first year I needed to decide what I was going to do when I grew up. The Ballarat course was mentioned so I had a look at it & decided to try the Short Course. I rang & spoke to Dr Pete Aldred, pretty impressed that he would take the time to talk to me & even more impressed when he told me that I would be wasting my money on the short course & I should try the Grad.Cert. Great now I really should find a job in a small brewery.

I spoke to Matt Donellan at St.Peters Brewery in Sydney. Matt didn't have any work for me, but he didn't mind me hanging around & asking questions. Over a few weeks I spent a day or two with Matt as he ran a batch of St Peter's Blonde through or Wort Kits. Great fun, a real eye opener, & very educational. Matt had told me to try pestering Rob Freshwater over at Malt Shovel to see if he had any work. Now Rob was great, he had nothing to offer a home brewer doing a "Distance Education" Uni course, but he did give me the phone number of a labour hire mob that supplied casual staff to Tooheys & Malt Shovel.

I quit the pubs & started working at Tooheys & Malt Shovel. (The $$$ was surprisingly good) The Tooheys plant at Auburn is enormous. In no time flat I had achieved the lofty title of AB3 "Mead BW 250 SN 16" Cluster/Basket Packer operator. I have a laminated certificate here on the wall. After a couple of weeks I started pestering the roster guy for a few shifts at Malt Shovel. I started at Malt Shovel on the "Over Packer". Basically I put the cardboard box over the 4 x 6 packs, and shoved it through the glue sealer. I was stoked to shovel the trub out of the whirlpool, sweep up glass, or stack the cartons on the pallet. In Feb of 2003 I started up my own HBS, Northern Districts Brewing Supplies. Just short of a year @ the HBS & I was asked if I would be interested in taking over the brewing job @ Paddys. The answer was YES.

Turned the shop into an on-line business, still going strong. I was lucky enough to do the start-up brews for the Macquarie Brewery in the city, which was a nice change. It is always interesting to see how different set-ups get the job done. Now you cant be in two places at once, so I left Macquarie to concentrate on Paddys & be a stay @ home Dad a few days a week. In October 2005 I finished at Paddys and took the stay at home Dad job full time. I have recently started back at The Malt Shovel a few days per week, until I figure out which way to go next.

Cheers
Gerard

I'm not in the brewing industry, but I've (almost) completed a degree in food technology, and a few years ago spent a very fun month kicking around the Cascade Brewery labs in Hobart. I reckon both of those are excellent starts for someone interested in a brewing career.

you fellas have been lucky enough to get valuable experience at major breweries,the rest of us just drool.... :D ohh if only. ;) .cheers...spog..

you fellas have been lucky enough to get valuable experience at major breweries,the rest of us just drool.... :D ohh if only. ;) .cheers...spog..

i'm right with you drooling, sounds awesome. I get the impression these guys are making their own luck.

Im working myself into the brewing industry aswell. I didnt know there were so many people that were in my boat or in already on here.

Right now im finishing my fourth (and final) year of a chemistry degree. Around the start of second year i decided i really wanted to get into brewing so i started making up my own degree to suit brewing. This meant taking up extra units such as biochemistry, cell biology and basic microbiology which i will continue at a higher level next semester. Did a couple of weeks work experience at Matilda Bay Brewery (Freo) a couple of years ago but at the time I was not knowledgable or into it enough to really get them to take me seriously.

Next semester I will be conducting a research project on tannin/polyphenol extraction during the mash with assistance from the head brewer of a well known WA micro who I seem to have impressed (I hope).

I also plan to stat studying for the IBD diploma exams which ill be doing some time next year. Hopefully by then ill be working as a brewer/brewers assistant which will make it a bit easier. Has any one sat these?

Anyway, its good to see theres pletny of people in the industry on here and i hope ot be working with you some day.

i just built my own mini brewery and call myself the head brewer :)

easy.

I would love to get into this industry but i have worked too hard at getting to where im at in the electrical trade, completing engineering diplomas and all.

i dont think i could go back to scrubbing floors, even though i am pasionate about it. brewing that is, not scrubbing floors.

cheers

i dont think i could go back to scrubbing floors, even though i am pasionate about it. brewing that is, not scrubbing floors.

The day you no longer spend half your working week cleaning stuff is the day you are no longer a brewer. Happy to be back scrubbing again!

Good on ya mate.... each to their own

Have you ever heard an electrician call a broom a black snake?

We dont like to pick either of them up :)

cheers

Well Hello!

Isn't it funny how these thinds just pop up.

Im currently in my third year of Chemical engineering at Sydney Uni and VacWork is rapidly approaching. I was pondering the idea of working with a brewery but didn't know if it would be worth it.

I think after reading this I'm just going to give it a shot. Got to start somewhere!

Sloth.

Very intersting reading guys - thanks.
Im the head brewer in my laundry - even my wife needs permission to enter :D
Cheers
Steve

Im the head brewer in my laundry - even my wife needs permission to enter :D
Cheers
Steve

I am surprised she would want to enter, never heard of brewing heads, don't think it would taste that good. :p

I'm not in the brewing industry, but I've (almost) completed a degree in food technology, and a few years ago spent a very fun month kicking around the Cascade Brewery labs in Hobart. I reckon both of those are excellent starts for someone interested in a brewing career.

Long time since your post, but i have only recently joined AHB. Good to see another food techie.

Just thought Id add my little bit Im off to the south of England to work in a small brewry for 6 months cant wait place is called the triangle tavern, brewery in the back bar in the front also a 16th century pub on the canal its on google also won some major awards in the real ale competions [Camra] feeling quite chirpy regards

Guest Lurker - Hope so. Good to hear about Kia.

Its unfortunate Qld doesn't have more breweries and positions related to brewing.

Back