How To Get Stop Yeast Settling on the Cone of Your Fermentor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifis101

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am using the fermzilla and I'd like to know if there's any tips and tricks for getting the yeast down in the collectiong chamber instead of settling on the sides of the cone? Yes the vast majority of it does drop down into the cone but I just hate seeing the pick up tube suck up the yeast on the cone as it start getting down to the lower levels. Yes I chill it down to 2degC for a couple of days and add gelatin before letting it sit for another day before kegging. I have tried getting a whirlpool going after I add the gelatin but maybe I should do that after a day. Any other tips would be much appreciated.

Well if the fermenter was a bit bigger and more robustly made I would tap the cone outlet with a hammer, rawhide, nylon, rubber... over a steel one.
With a plastic fermenter you might get a similar result if you tapped the valve at the bottom of the cone or the cone (gently) with a piece of wood or similar. The idea being to break the adhesion between the yeast cake and the cone wall. So the yeast slab slide’s down into the collecting jar.
Top end commercial stainless fermenters have electro polished cones to give a super smooth and slippery surface and they still have the odd slab of yeast hang up and slide down at the worst possible time - the joys of dealing with Non-Newtonian fluids.
Mark

Last edited:
If you've got an electric toothbrush try putting the back side of the brush end against the outside of the cone.

I wonder if you could do something with a sonic bath or vibrating something or other?????

Typical the beer i just cold crashed has hardly any sediment on the cone this time. Normally I wouldn't complain but I was going to give the vibrating thing a go. This one was a cerveza so I sholdn't expect much. I might to an IPA nextr time.

Latest posts

Back