How To Get Line Of The Barbs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefo112233

Reaction score
Hi guys, im just starting my kegging setup, but Im having a really hard time getting my beer and gas lines off the barb fittings....its almost impossible, is there any method which would help me out here? Thanks

Also, Ive got a JG non return valve but when i turn the gas on i have gas escaping from it ... the lines are inserted properly in both ends i think there may be something wrong with the unit... any tips?

Thanks guys!

Hi guys, im just starting my kegging setup, but Im having a really hard time getting my beer and gas lines off the barb fittings....its almost impossible, is there any method which would help me out here? Thanks

Also, Ive got a JG non return valve but when i turn the gas on i have gas escaping from it ... the lines are inserted properly in both ends i think there may be something wrong with the unit... any tips?

Thanks guys!

For the Gas & Beer lines cut the line close to where it meets the barb then with a sharp knife cut a vertical line along the remaining line on the barb, or place the barb with the line on it in a cup of boiling water then remove after a minute or so & should be easy to remove.

For the JG non return valve make sure the arrow on the valve points in the same direction of the flow of the gas ie away from the gass bottle/manifold.

:icon_cheers:

Paul

I'm pretty sure I've seen in a JG catalog that the non return valves are for liquid only, e.g. they will stop liquid from going the wrong way but not gas.

Will have a look if I find it and post it up.

Florian

Found it. It's the very last article, on page 4 in the lower right corner. 'For liquids only'.

View attachment Pages_from_John_Guest.pdf

I know that quite a few people use them instead of a gas manifold to keep kegs with different carbonation levels on the same regulator, so I'm not quite sure if that really works, but am keen to find out, as I'm planning my setup at the moment.

I agree with removel from the barbs. Cut it off nice and close and then slip it long ways with a knife.

There is no point in trying to heat the plastic and pull it off as you will need to cut that bit off anyway, you won't be able to re-use it.

If there is a clamp on it, attack it with needle nose pliers. Again no need to be gentle as they are pretty much one use only.

As for the NRV double check that the lines is pushed all the way in. They go a surprising distance in.

Also check that the line is cutoff smoothly. Scissors often do not work as they leave a bit of a slag or crooked cut as the blades pass side by side. You need a guillotine like cut. I have a proper line cutter but when I can't find it I use my pliers with the wire cutter on them.

Brewjohno.

As for the NRV double check that the lines is pushed all the way in. They go a surprising distance in.

Also check that the line is cutoff smoothly. Scissors often do not work as they leave a bit of a slag or crooked cut as the blades pass side by side. You need a guillotine like cut. I have a proper line cutter but when I can't find it I use my pliers with the wire cutter on them.

Brewjohno.

Make sure you have high quality 8mm OD line, like FlexMaster II. The cheap beva line does not work properly with JG fittings, I think its the wrong diameter and too soft.

Back