How To Get Aroma From Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Reaction score
I am doing a pilsner and it calls for aroma hop addition. When is the best time to add hops for aroma? Do I add at flame out (start of chilling), end of chilling into the fermenter or after the fermentation (dry hop)?
The recipe also does not specify amount of hops. As far as I'm aware aroma additions do not add to the bitterness level. For a 23L batch how much hop to add?

Cheers

Bottoms Up!!!

If you are adding them to the kettle you want to do it sometime before you chill, not after. Generally aroma additions in the kettle are anywhere from 20 minutes to flameout, or hopbacked before chilling. And then post boiling you can dry hop for aroma as well.

Or you can do all of the above, I'm going to put down a recipe today/tomorrow with 30m, 0m, and 2 separate dry hop additions (union jack clone)

Oh and the amount I guess depends on the recipe, for a pilsner you usually don't want to dry hop it. Whats the recipe you are making?

Its a german lager with pilsner malt and i'll add a touch of some type of cara malt with saaz (czech) for bittering and aroma.

Pilsner

4.2kg pilsner
0.25kg Cara ?????

60g saaz @ 3.5% aa to get 26 IBU

Think I should up the IBU's?

And how much aroma hop and when to add?

Figures calculated in Beer Smith

I am doing a pilsner and it calls for aroma hop addition. When is the best time to add hops for aroma? Do I add at flame out (start of chilling), end of chilling into the fermenter or after the fermentation (dry hop)?
The recipe also does not specify amount of hops. As far as I'm aware aroma additions do not add to the bitterness level. For a 23L batch how much hop to add?

Cheers

Bottoms Up!!!

Rule of thumb is that 0-10 minutes boil or dry hopping gets you mainly aroma and a little flavour, 10-20 mins aroma, but also more flavour, more than 20mins bitterness.

Hi Banshee,

Don't forget the anecdotal evidence for no chilling that if you no chill - the perceived bitterness for the exact same level of hops appears to be higher than a chilled wort.

I personally run the halving rule:

60 minutes bitterness
30 minutes fair amount of bitterness and some flavour
15 minutes mostly flavour, some aroma, minor bitterness
0 minutes/dry hop - aroma

And I always allow for whether I no-chill or chill - whether I do is generally related to how prepared I am in doing the brew. Sometimes, I have ingredients, I get flooded in, but I haven't prepared frozen chilled water and the supermarkets are fresh out of ice because everyone has panicked. So I no-chill. I adjust my 0 minutes additions down, and dry hop at the time I pitch the yeast, not as soon as it goes into the fermenter.

Other times brew is planned ahead and the requisite chilling methods chosen and used, so we're all good to chill.

Hoping this helps you out.

Goomba

I found this to be handy. I ripped it from someone else's post.

hop_utilization_1.jpg

Per the above comments you should make some allowance for no chill. Add 10 minutes to each time for no chill is something that has been bandied around, i.e. a flame out addition with NC gives the same result as a 10 minute addition with chilling. I'm still to come up with a final NC compensation rule that works for me.

Back