How To Fix Poorly Crusted Yeast Sediment?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanceonbeach

Reaction score
Is there any way of fixing poorly crusted yeast once it's in the bottle?

For my fourth ever brew I made a Brewcraft Premium Imported English Bitter 1.8kg kit with 1kg Brewcraft English Bitter Converter and the kit yeast packet (before I discovered this site and the joys of extracts, steeping grains and quality yeasts).

The beer is clear in the bottle but the sediment hasn't formed a crust. When I open them, however carefully, the sediment floats to the top of the bottle in big ugly chunks and then gets mixed into the beer when I pour it into the glass. It is drinkable, don't know how much effect it's having on the taste, but it looks like shit, all milky and yuck.

Three previous brews all Brewcraft kits and yeast with dex haven't had this problem. Will it crust up if I leave it longer?

Souns like your beer is over carbonated, as when you pop the top the Co2 would neucleate against the bottom of the bottle and drag it to the surface.

I find this happens often when im racking a beer to bottles or a keg, as im doing it the CO2 comes out of solution and drags yeast with it. Over time in the bottle it does compact (1-2months without any finings to help it along e.g gelatine)

The other option is to cold condition a few bottles for a week or so in a fridge and see if they stick on the bottom of the bottle. other than that... drink cloudy beer :p

Latest posts

Back