How To Fix A Beer Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef12345

Reaction score
If a beer glass has been washed out in soapy water can it be fixed or is it unfixable.

Could you use sanitizer to clean the glass.
Will the glass ever get a head back...

If a beer glass has been washed out in soapy water can it be fixed or is it unfixable.

rinse out with plain hot water after its been washed in soap/detergent - simple!

No they're beyond help - better send them to me. :)

Seriously, giving them a good rinse with tap water should do the trick.

Cheers,
Michael.

i've found if you get some steel wool scrub stuff (not the stuff with detegant already in it) and wash it with that under hot water it comes good. also clean hard with the steel on the bottom of the glass.

You may find that washing with fabric softener changes the charge on the glass surface, and may help your problem.

It's also a way of cleaning plastic cups without getting that "greasy feel" from normal detergent.

I just avoid using detergent on my beer glasses (and anything other than beer is now banned :D)

what constitutes worthy discussion on this bloody board.

it's actually a very interesting topic sinkas, some people like to keep there glasses perfect so they can really show off the head and body of the beer. detergent in a glass will make a beer look flat and lifeless

Clean yer beer glasses with bi-carb and water, then follow that up with vinegar and water. Follow that up with a good rinse of clean water, and Robert's yer father's brother.
Read that on this forum years ago, and it works for me.
All the best
Trent

My uncle used to have a special beer glass that no-one was allowed to touch or wash. If it got washed in detergent he would rinse it out with hot water then light a cigarette paper and drop the flaming paper in the glass until it burned out. He'd then rinse it out and put it in the fridge.

I don't know what the burning paper did but he sweared it reconditioned the galss for head retention,

Rodders

shouldn't this thread be in the "humour and joke" section

if anyone is worried about dirty glasses you can always drink straight from the keg like i do :p

Steel wool?!!?!?(Were you serious Fents or were you taking the piss?) Fabric softener?!?!?!?!?!? Bicarb and vinegar?? Where's Chopper when you need him? - I think we need to bring out the HTFU stick again!

All due respect guys, but you are seriously over complicating the issue. It's only glass, it doesn't absorb the detergent & of course the glass will get 'head' back again.

Wash it out well with nice hot PLAIN water, put it in the fridge and then rinse out with nice cold beer which goes down your throat, and don't let your missus/flatmate etc near your beer glasses again. (Walks away from pc shaking head.......... :wacko: :blink: )

Steel wool?!!?!?(Were you serious Fents or were you taking the piss?) Fabric softener?!?!?!?!?!? Bicarb and vinegar?? Where's Chopper when you need him? - I think we need to bring out the HTFU stick again!

All due respect guys, but you are seriously over complicating the issue. It's only glass, it doesn't absorb the detergent & of course the glass will get 'head' back again.

Wash it out well with nice hot PLAIN water, put it in the fridge and then rinse out with nice cold beer which goes down your throat, and don't let your missus/flatmate etc near your beer glasses again. (Walks away from pc shaking head.......... :wacko: :blink: )

I always wash my glasses with the rest of the washing up, with detergent. I then rinse three or four times with hot tap water, no problem.

i've been using bicarb/vinegar for quite a while.... works a treat. you really notice the extra lacing and longer lasting head.
much to the shock horror of some on here!! i dont see a problem in looking after and cleaning up your favourite drinking vessel.!?!? we spend half a day making our beer and a week or 2 looking after it in the ferm, then another hour or 3 getting it into kegs/bottles...so whats the big deal with taking 60 seconds to clean the last vessel, that you sit there and enjoy your efforts from??

And just to irk a little more.... of late i have been doing a weak sugar soap clean too..! (prior to then doing the above). You get a whole pint of lacing after that treatment. looks great

Each to their own Kong. I get lacing all the way down the glass anyway, without using anything other than hot water to rinse the glass if one has gone through the sink with the rest of the dishes. My mother in law put ALL my beer glasses through a soapy wash while she was here. I tried to explain why I was annoyed with her, but I ended up just walking away. It was like talking to a brick (except bricks don't look back at you with quite such a blank stare....)

But as I said - each to their own :)

I must be missing something here. But what needs to be FIXED? WHAT BROKE?

i definately note a change in head retention and lacing when a glass (usually the PHaT) gets a little grubby... quick clean routine brings her back sweet... :D

I'd recommend baking the glass in an oven at 180 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Remove with tongs and quickly dump into a sink of iced water.

The baking will break down the surfactants in the detergent and the ice bath will rinse it off. :ph34r:

Kook...
can you send a photo log of the process.? i'll try it tonight.

Back