How To Find Gas Leak?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozshots

Reaction score
Hi,

Finally I've got a gas line into my kegerator and connected it to my kegs.

Unfortunately looks like a have a CO2 leak somewhere. If I close a valve at the tank, the pressure drops to 0 in about a hour. Same thing happens if no kegs are connected. I think the leak is at my gas line with John Guest connectors.

I've put line and connectors under the water but I see no bubbles. Is it possible my regulator is leaking somehow? Can I put it under water as well, is it a safe thing to do?

I think the leak is at John Guest connector and is simply too small for bubbles to be visible. What do you think? Maybe my line cuts are not perfect?

If you've soaped the fittings, look elsewhere first, leaks, even small ones usually show up quite easily.
Soap around the nut that clamps you regulator to the gas bottle, in my experience this is the most common leakage point, either not tightened enough or a damaged/missing regulator seal.
Good luck with finding it, shouldn't be too hard to find.

cheers Ross

If you've soaped the fittings, look elsewhere first, leaks, even small ones usually show up quite easily.
Soap around the nut that clamps you regulator to the gas bottle, in my experience this is the most common leakage point, either not tightened enough or a damaged/missing regulator seal.
Good luck with finding it, shouldn't be too hard to find.

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross,

Tried soaping around the nut, no bubbles. This is a high pressure connection and I think the leak would be very obvious.

I must add I use fire extinguisher not the gas bottle. I don't leave high pressure valve constantly on, just squirting pressure as I need it.
Maybe the high pressure valve at the extinguisher is leaking? Can I submerge extinguisher and regulator upside down in the water?

Thanks Ross,

Tried soaping around the nut, no bubbles. This is a high pressure connection and I think the leak would be very obvious.

I must add I use fire extinguisher not the gas bottle. I don't leave high pressure valve constantly on, just squirting pressure as I need it.
Maybe the high pressure valve at the extinguisher is leaking? Can I submerge extinguisher and regulator upside down in the water?

although i haven't used fire extinguishers for a keg setup i have pulled a few apart, the seal around the pin is designed to only hold back most of the pressure while you spray at the fire...

i think if you have tested all the fittings and have a check-valve installed right after the reg then its something you will have to put up with

When I initially rigged mine up I had no problems, then when I altered it and piggy backed another reg I had probs, turned out the brass fitting on the reg and tee piece wasn't as sealed as I thought. Thread tape and now all is sorted.

I agree with Ross here, although you have tested it I bet the leak is at the reg. Where it screws onto your bottle or were the gas line leaves the reg. Make sure you add enough detergent to your water, put it in a squirty bottle and spray everything.

Batz

i think if you have tested all the fittings and have a check-valve installed right after the reg then its something you will have to put up with

Nope, I don't have a check-valve. Is it a simple on/off valve?
I should give it a try...

Nope, I don't have a check-valve. Is it a simple on/off valve?
I should give it a try...
a check-vavle is a one way valve will stop gas from flowing back through the reg craftbrewer have them i think

Guys,

You are absolute heroes and you don't even need a crystal ball to find a problem I had.

Yes, I had leak between gas bottle (extinguisher) and nut at the regulator.
Yes, thread tape (from plumbing department) fixed that.

Now, I have yet another leak....

Fact 1. If my gas connector is disconnected, the pressure in the line stays.
Fact 2. If I connect gas connector to the keg, the pressure drops to 0 in few hours.
Fact 3. If I put pressure at the keg and disconnect gas line, the pressure in the keg stays - I can dispense the beer the next day.

Does this means my gas connector leaks? I have new o-rings...

Now, I have yet another leak....

Fact 1. If my gas connector is disconnected, the pressure in the line stays.
Fact 2. If I connect gas connector to the keg, the pressure drops to 0 in few hours.
Fact 3. If I put pressure at the keg and disconnect gas line, the pressure in the keg stays - I can dispense the beer the next day.
Does this means my gas connector leaks? I have new o-rings...

Sounds like to me your keg is absorbing gas to equalise pressure.

Sounds like to me your keg is absorbing gas to equalise pressure.

+1

Your extinguisher is of the type where you have to squeeze the trigger to dispense gas? If so, your keg, if connected, is slowly absorbing gas which is dissolving in your beer. No leak.

Maybe try a cigarette lighter...

Then again that may only work for LPG...... :ph34r:

Fester out.

I locked the valve in "open" position.

How long should it take for the beer to absorb the gas? I left the valve open for 24 hours, then closed the valve. The pressure dropped to 0 overnight...

Since I previously didn't have a hole for the gas line, I always used to "Ross force carbonate" the beer and squirt a gas if pressure is too low.
And yes, the beer is a bit on the flat side. I set the pressure to 150 and see what happens...

Alex,

If both gauges are dropping to zero, you have a leak. The main bottle pressure gauge will drop to zero fairly quickly if you are under carbed, but the low pressure side should only drop to the carbonation level of the beer in the keg.

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back