How To Clear A Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've already been converted, I've been kegging (ales) from the primary for ages. I'd still rack a lager though.

I gelatin fin all my beers. It amazes me how well its works when you do it at 4deg or less. However I normally do this in secondary because the volume is more than the keg. But if there is no problem with finning in the keg I might be a convert as well.

...But if there is no problem with finning in the keg I might be a convert as well.

Well I've got two kits brewing for about a week an a half now and the FG has been steady the past two days, should I add the finings to the fermenter or keg it then add the finings? So much new information... A poor newb can get so lost around here! :)

i go with demonsura on this
if you're going to the trouble of making a nice lager then adding your finings to end of secondary, letting it settle then rack into kegs is my preferred method. unless lazy and filtering.

edit - but 2 weeks in a cold keg is really really good at clearing up the looks and taste of a beer.

Yes! drink at night time with the lights off! i love that kind of thinking!

Well I've got two kits brewing for about a week an a half now and the FG has been steady the past two days, should I add the finings to the fermenter or keg it then add the finings? So much new information... A poor newb can get so lost around here! :)

If you have the room chill in the fermenter, add gelatine and leave for a week. A quick search will bring up heaps of info on how to prepare the gelatine.

Well I cracked the Amber Ale keg last night and added 1 tsp of Gelatine mixed up with about 500mls of the beer that was heated over the stove. So if all goes to plan it should be nice and clear real soon.

Steve

let us know how it turns out...

before and after pics?

Heating beer on the stove and then return it to keg doesnt sound great :unsure:

Next time just use 100ml of water in a glass nuked in the microwave, allow to cool to 60-70C then add the gelatine to dissolve.

WOW, It all happend too quick. 24 hours after I added the Gelatine to the keg it was pouring very clear. As good as the Pils that was CC for 8 weeks anyway. I put some in the microwave and heated it up and it went crystal clear, so I think all I have to deal with no is chill haze. But unless I get a filter I dont want to mess around with Polyclar.

Steve

Do you have a pic Steve?

Ive found that some beers with haze problems still clear with gelatine and there is a bit of theory floating around about how it works. Maybe give it a couple more days and see.

No mate by the time I got to pour a beer 24 hours later it was nice and clear. I could take one now but it just looks like mighty fine beer to me. I think I will go the Gelatine all the time from now on.

Have a beer on tap that will not clear (yeast) can you add it to carb'd beer.

Screwy

don't forget to mention to your vegetarian friends that your beer has a certain percentage of cow hoof in it :)

Ive found time solves all my clarity issues - that and not using wheat malt. Its amazing what a few weeks in a keg at <4 C does for a beer.... :D

Back